The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 05:56:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rrose Sélavy Tea Room and Gin Parlour for not so distinguished ladies.....  (Read 54614 times)
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #850 on: February 17, 2011, 02:47:29 pm »

My nan was a maid she worked her way up from the tweeny to a parlour maid she  said it was a hard life with very long hours but a fair one,

"If you are cold,Tea will warm you.
If you are too heated,It will cool you.
If you are depressed,It will cheer you.
If you are excited,It will calm you." Gladstone.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #851 on: March 11, 2011, 09:20:25 am »

I need to get my hair restyled. I foolishly cut my 1920s bob into an assymetrical pixie cut and now I look like a boy Sad ny tips for feminine short styles? Or anything I can do to fem this up?

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
ladyelsie
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #852 on: March 11, 2011, 12:27:02 pm »

Curl or colour?? Curl the long bits, but colour should be done by those who know what they are doing. If you are still dark flashes of colour would look good.

L.E.
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #853 on: March 11, 2011, 02:10:56 pm »

I need to get my hair restyled. I foolishly cut my 1920s bob into an assymetrical pixie cut and now I look like a boy Sad ny tips for feminine short styles? Or anything I can do to fem this up?

You could try pin curls if you have enough lenght
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip180027.htm
Anna Katarina
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #854 on: March 11, 2011, 08:57:54 pm »

Another tactic: "flattering" clothing?

Hello, all!

Is there space in the parlour for another?
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #855 on: March 12, 2011, 11:34:22 am »

Slways room for one more my dear Smiley
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #856 on: March 12, 2011, 11:40:47 am »

Clothing isn't usually an issue but as I live in Wales, a long military coat and wellies are often needed. I actually got called a "young man" by a pensioner yesterday. Maybe I need to wearmore make up until I get it cut...
Anna Katarina
Gunner

« Reply #857 on: March 12, 2011, 10:56:19 pm »

Thank you for the welcome, Jarmara!

Darkshines, perhaps the makeup route will have to do, after all.  And visible earrings?  Sorry you were so obviously mistaken the other day!  I recall someone suggesting curling your hair, if that was an option for your hair type/length; that might do nicely.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #858 on: March 13, 2011, 08:39:51 am »

I would love curly hair so much, it really suits me, so I shall have to give it a try!
Ms Fisher
Snr. Officer

« Reply #859 on: March 17, 2011, 12:16:42 am »

hello all,

I was hoping to join you in this lovely-if questionable-parlour.
I had a question-has anyone worn/used/made a chatelaine? I'm making one at the minute-I was wondering if anyone had words of wisdom on it.

Also, darkshines i wouldn't stress-hair is terribly forgiving no matter what mistakes you make in a few months its all good. As for gender, I was mistaken for a man when I had hair down to my waist, their are just a few people out there in desperate need of re-establishing a relationship with an opthamolgist

Also, if anyone has the secret to making pin curls work in fine straight hair theirs alot of-please please share
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:18:55 am by Ms Fisher » Logged
AlegrahEredschtadt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #860 on: March 17, 2011, 01:02:03 pm »

I would agree with visible jewelery, feminine jewelery, mind you, and makeup. Try playing with your most feminine features, as well as curling your hair. I'd say only working with the most feminine looking traits you have as I've a friend with a great deal of very, very curly hair, longish, that is a man!

As for pin-curls.. I've yet to master them for thick hair with quite a bit of it so I can't say I'd be of much help, Ms. Fisher.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:20:44 pm by AlegrahEredschtadt » Logged

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

I dare mention my bloomers in public.

Join me in the Chatroom! http:/
McFoxxx
Deck Hand

J. A. F. McFoxxx

« Reply #861 on: March 18, 2011, 03:53:47 am »

HELLO LADIES HAPPY ST PADDYS YES now what can you do with darjeeling and rum, schnapps, or wine???
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #862 on: April 11, 2011, 02:32:05 pm »

My Dearest Ladies I am in dispair my body is going on a journey and it is dragging me a long kicking and screaming at the tender young age of 41 years mother nature is being cruel and is turning me into a crone by slowly turning off my reproductiveness, I am in short  on the slow decent to the menopause. Either that os i need to check in to the Asylum. At this moment in time I feel as if I could eat the world suply of choclate,cry a new ocean and tear the heads of anyone that annoys me, Oh the joys of being a woman ,Someone please pass the gin and hold the water  Cry
ladyelsie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #863 on: April 11, 2011, 09:30:47 pm »

Jarmara, It does all get better, but keep taking the Gin. it does help.
Chocolate as well helps as well as long walks where nobody can hear you scream and sing , Abba hit usually does the trick , then more gin.
L. E.
r_is_for_rachel
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

aka Helga Von Flam, Lady Aviatrix Extraordinaire

« Reply #864 on: April 11, 2011, 10:04:26 pm »

hello all,

I was hoping to join you in this lovely-if questionable-parlour.
I had a question-has anyone worn/used/made a chatelaine? I'm making one at the minute-I was wondering if anyone had words of wisdom on it.

made a chatelaine, my main problem on wearing is that the various chains get tangled when walking around and honestly not sure how to solve that problem!
Ms Fisher
Snr. Officer

« Reply #865 on: April 12, 2011, 12:50:03 am »

Thank you rachel-mine was doing exactly that , so I made the chains shorter(kind of-I have my chains on hoooks so it could be a brooch or chatelaine, I just moved where the hooks were on the chains) and it seems to be fine now! There's pictures of it on the chatelaine thread in anatomical if you want to see it...
Anna Katarina
Gunner

« Reply #866 on: April 27, 2011, 07:20:48 pm »

Just popping in to say hello!
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #867 on: April 28, 2011, 06:42:37 pm »

Anyone else doing anything for the royal wedding tommorow? I shall be attending a street party in the countryside, and I am making blue raspberry union jack cupcakes!
Anna Katarina
Gunner

« Reply #868 on: April 28, 2011, 10:45:53 pm »

I may be attending a tea-and-pretty-hats thing.  Less of a vested interest in the wedding, being in the US, but still, might be nice to go!
Auntie Ludmilla
Snr. Officer

« Reply #869 on: April 28, 2011, 11:50:04 pm »

I'm kind of avoiding it by going to work to be honest... But have found out about an anti royal wedding beer festival at a local real ale pub, so might drop in for a revolutionary beer on my way home.... First against the wall, etc.

"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna
Octavia
Deck Hand

Bronzed Sentimentality

« Reply #870 on: May 28, 2011, 07:06:34 am »

This may sound peculiar, but I actually drink quite a lot of tea and I need to branch out a bit from my usual brands.

I'm pretty much stuck in a land of darjeeling, various black breakfast mixes, mint, lady grey, and the odd box of orange pekoe.  Green teas and white teas have graced my table as well...

What tea do you drink and what makes it so irresistible that I should go find it right away?  I had a list but I somehow misplaced it so seems like a grand time to fix up a new one.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #871 on: May 28, 2011, 08:12:22 am »

I am 100% addicted to Twinings Orange,Mango and Cinnamon with pure organic honey as a sweetener.
Wealthy Brown
Deck Hand

« Reply #872 on: May 30, 2011, 02:01:03 pm »

I am partial to Lady Grey Tea, Irish Breakfast Tea, and Green teas.

*settles herself* And cinnamon rolls, when I can get them and allow myself to eat them. Smiley

Teresinia

Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative. - H. G. Wells
Ms Fisher
Snr. Officer

« Reply #873 on: May 30, 2011, 10:07:46 pm »

forgive me if this has been commented on, but we seem to be short an H, any idea what bounder has made of with it

Also, I have discovered pincurls simply do not work in my hair-i've tried them evey way the internet had to offer. Instead, I hot curl my hair-once in a blue moon, with memories from the story of Jo burning megs hair
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #874 on: May 30, 2011, 10:19:37 pm »

I thought 'distinguised' meant that you were known for your ability to not be recognised...

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: