The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 12:59:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charity Shop Find  (Read 3904 times)
Llrael
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

In it for the lulz.

« on: July 17, 2009, 07:23:15 pm »

I found this little beauty in a charity shop today for a whole two pounds. I'd originally bought it just because it was tiny (23mm across, I make it) and cute and £2, even though the label said that it needed a new battery. Having got it home, I discovered that actually <i>winding</i> it would help more! It's now running very happily and making a <i>lovely</i> noise.

I seem unable to find any useful info on the manufacturer (Ferex), so I thought I'd throw it in here. I'm really just looking for any advice for keeping it going and so forth. I've never owned a mechanical watch before, so I'd appreciate a few pointers, and any info you can give me on the make and how old it might be (mother reckons 20 years or so).

Thanks!

"I asked Mr Lacey if he'd let me work his lovely machine. He hit me with a spanner."
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 02:07:58 am »

I think Ferex used to be one of those "generic" Swiss watches. Its probably a seven jewel or less lever movement, simple, and rugged.
As far as age? that 20 year guess is  a pretty good one.. good find!
Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 04:21:43 am »

I'm going to guess that the two words at the bottom of the dial are "swiss made"  It looks very similar in some ways to a Swiss watch of my wife's that is of a similar era.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 06:19:50 am »

A quick google search suggests that Ferex SA was a Swiss watch manufacturer which was in business at least between the last two World Wars, and that the corporation has since been dissolved. The only source of greater detail which I could find appeared to be legal documents which were available in either French or German to anyone with a valid credit card.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Silent Theatre
Officer

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 05:06:32 pm »

I love charity shops, i found a huge Alphonse Mucha mirror in one for £9,baaaargain.
Thats a great find tho sorry I dont know anything about the maker.Just wanted to say that a shop in my local town are selling pendant watches like that and are asking an extortionate £14 for the mass produced item!!

Bald Knobber Labs
Officer

Colonel B.R. Ashburry - Royal Colonial Lighthorse

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 12:52:29 pm »

I make my regular rounds ,you never know what will turn up week to week, or even day to day. Good eye, good find.

Don't touch that boy, I have no idea what what it does.
Burr
Snr. Officer

My bark is worse then my bite

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 04:47:54 am »

You jammy sod! Nice find. Those places can be treasure troves for just about all interests, crafts and hobbies.
DMAtkins01
Swab

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 06:29:02 pm »

I bought a Ferex pocket watch on E-Bay and was trying to locate information on the manufacturer.  I came across your blog and thought someone might have additional information.  I found that Ferex manufactured watches from 1946 - 1959.  Any help would be appreciated. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: