The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 09:57:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Little direction for a beginner?  (Read 2335 times)
anon9100
Swab

United States United States

« on: July 15, 2009, 04:10:45 pm »

Hello, I've admired the steampunk look for awhile now and finally have the time to start a project, however, I'm not really sure where to start....

Can anybody suggest a good project to start with?

By the way, I wasn't sure if this was the proper board to post this in, so sorry if it was not.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 04:18:45 pm by anon9100 » Logged
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:22:14 pm »

Might I (rather narcisistically) invite you to consider making a pair of mad scientist spectacles? Pay no attention to the flat-iron, it thinks because it can produce steam it qualifies as a steampunk Roll Eyes

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 04:47:07 pm »

I have seen this questions several times now and have figured out how to answer it... with another question!

Without thinking about steampunk, what would your next project be anyway?
 Start on that project but add in some steamy elements. My first "steampunk" project was a  converted lantern (carbide to LED) for a specific purpose, I discovered the steampunk world when I was halfway through the build and it just happened to fit in (well, close enough).

If you do not have a project in mind, but want to start something just to get your feet wet, go figure out what your costume/attire needs... It doesn't have to be goggles, but could be a cane, hat pin, necklace, or any other trinket that you will USE (or sell...)

Capt_Zaphod
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

Chrono Corps Agent:42

Captain_Zaphod
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 05:24:53 pm »

It's a difficult question to answer.
I suggest going through and reading through the forum, and seeing what strikes your fancy.

The Hon. Archibald Keyes
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

But Zeppelin!

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 05:40:16 pm »

Usual first projects consist of:

- Making/modding a pair of goggles.
- Putting together a Steampunk outfit.
- Making/modding a firearm of some sort.
- Making anything you like, then covering it with wood, brass fixtures, piping, gauges etc.

But yeah, just do whatever you want to do, really.

Pew pew pew! I got you!
anon9100
Swab

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 08:25:38 pm »

@Kittybriton: I could make the goggles/glasses, however I wear (prescription) glasses, so I wouldn't be able to wear them other than on my forehead/neck, which isn't terrible, but it isn't convenient either.

@jringling: I don't really have anything specific in mind except that it is not too expensive or too complicated

I go to college and do not have any tools or resources at the moment. How much would it cost (approximately, of course) to make or modify a gun?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:30:14 pm by anon9100 » Logged
The Hon. Archibald Keyes
Gunner

But Zeppelin!

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 03:43:18 pm »

It would probably cost about as much as spray paint and a Nerf gun.

Also, I found a way of getting around the issue of needing to wear glasses - I have a few older pairs of glasses that still (roughly, it must be said) fit my prescription, so I have taken one of these, popped the lenses out, and installed them inside my goggles. Hey presto, I can see(ish), and due to the dark glass in the goggles, no-one can see the lenses.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 11:53:59 am »

painting up a squirt gun can be done very cheaply.

I found a bunch of steamy looking squirt guns at walmart. just a little paintwork and they look great.
buy a couple of squirt guns and a spray can of primer in black and a brush on can of silver and one of gold.
spray it black and drybrush with the silver and gold. the silver turns a darker gunmetal look when you clearcoat it , the gold looks more brasslike. you can buy gloss clear spray at the hardware store along with the other paint.
practice your painting skills on the guns then later start adding bits and pieces to embellish them.
Analog
Deck Hand

Things fall apart. It's scientific.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 02:24:32 am »

I have no idea of your space or resources, but my first project was not directly "Steampunk", but it has sure helped my other Steampunk projects - I built a work bench. Having a dedicated work area sure goes a long way.
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

i´m the terror of the skies but a danger to myself

http://twitter.com/PockyN
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 03:51:33 am »

hey i´m a newbe here too... and i´d like to make some project suggestions...

don´t stars with clockwork stuff... it´s too difficult to start with ^^' i know what i´m talking about xDD okay what about brass goggles? typical beginner project^^ (btw. also my next project) or u can put together a steampunk outfit it´s easy if u know ebay xD i did it heck yeah and i didn´t had to spent lots of money for it!

JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 05:43:43 am »

I have seen this questions several times now and have figured out how to answer it... with another question!

Without thinking about steampunk, what would your next project be anyway?
 Start on that project but add in some steamy elements. My first "steampunk" project was a  converted lantern (carbide to LED) for a specific purpose, I discovered the steampunk world when I was halfway through the build and it just happened to fit in (well, close enough).

If you do not have a project in mind, but want to start something just to get your feet wet, go figure out what your costume/attire needs... It doesn't have to be goggles, but could be a cane, hat pin, necklace, or any other trinket that you will USE (or sell...)
Best answer Tongue

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: