The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 06:50:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "For Goths with money"  (Read 5819 times)
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« on: July 13, 2009, 06:09:21 pm »

That was how Steampunk was mentioned to me on Friday night. To what extent do you think this is true? Certainly in my experience Steampunk has grown largely within the Goth culture, as did Cyberpunk before it.

And for those with money? No denying, Steampunk isn't a cheap hobby. We Goths as well, only speaking from my own experience, have always tended to come from nice, middle-class families. Granted, most of us make and modify our clothes and buy things second-hand, but can anyone truly working-class afford to participate? Is there a degree of education and 'breeding' you have to have to want to join in with the Steampunk ethics?

Thoughts? Musings?

"Who would have guessed that behind the formidable brow of his, which appeared to be made of some kind of rook, there lay so strange a mixture of memories and thoughts?"

Gentleman Gaspar
Deck Hand
United States United States

Tick-tock, tis the way of the clockwork gentleman!

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 06:17:33 pm »

I'd say a more fitting title of the matter and subject would be, "For those with the money, and the imagination!"

Steampunkery....alas, such an easy way to burn through hard earned cash and crop! Yet, for how expensive it can be, it an enjoyable hobby and lifestyle. However, for those much like myself (rather low in the wallet), it is often difficult to be provided with the proper materials. However, there are many opportunities within other places that are less costly and often provide wonderful things.

Stores such as TJ Maxx and the like often have useful trinkets that are often very capable of being transformed into something Steampunk, and even a local junkyard or pawn shop - and let us not forget of the ever so adored Thrift Store - that have many useful objects for the Steampunking of one's self or inventions! And often for a very low, or somewhat cheaper, cost.

The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 06:29:51 pm »

I definately think steampunk has an allure to many of the older goths, those of us from the ilk who went/go to the clubs in ball gowns and lace and corsets especially. But I do not think it's limited to that. The vast dynamic seen here at BG alone should prove that as too narrow a description all by itself.

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Mrs. Sullivan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 06:56:11 pm »

As in the Goth subculture, there are those with excellent creative skills who make their own outfits/ props and can do so for very little money (utilizing thrift stores and recycling), those who spend money on fine fabrics and do it themselves, and those with more money than time who patronize the artisans of the culture.

Speaking strictly for myself as an old goth, I find Steampunk to be a lot friendlier to those of us "of an age".  iIt just feels a little more refined to me to go about in public in Victorian style clothing than looking like one of the "spooky kids" at age 52.  Still, there's a good bit of black in my Steampunk wardrobe! Roll Eyes

The one bit about the "money" part that I haven't been able to grasp is the number of "cons" some people seem to attend.  I'll be going to SteamCon in October, and that will probably be my one big blowout for the year.  How do people afford this?  Not to mention getting the time off from work?   Huh

I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!
Gentleman Gaspar
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 06:58:48 pm »

The one bit about the "money" part that I haven't been able to grasp is the number of "cons" some people seem to attend.  I'll be going to SteamCon in October, and that will probably be my one big blowout for the year.  How do people afford this?  Not to mention getting the time off from work?   Huh

I ask the same question all the time. *laughs*
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 07:18:48 pm »

I do alot of travelling, and I get asked the same question.

My answer is always this. "I'm good enough at my job that they wont fire me for telling them I wont be around, and I know how to travel cheap."

When I go away for a few days, I rarely spend more than a couple hundred dollars. I avoid staying in hotels, opting to rather couch surf with friends or pack a tent, I don't go shopping, except for the essentials, opting for photos and memories instead of trinkets, and I have no fear of piling 6 people and a weeks worth of stuff and camping gear into a minivan for 24 hours Cheesy

And when plane tickets are in order, I will wait to purchase until i find good airfare sales or fly standby via buddy passes.
stardust
Zeppelin Captain

friend of polar bear

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 07:28:42 pm »

i believe that in any culture it is not relevant how much money you have, but how wisely you spend it and how ingenuitive you can be.

for example, a steampunk could live quite happily on the dole if they were accustomed to skip/dumpster diving and spending what little money they have on superglue and craft supplies that cannot be liberated from skips. charity shops often put things out in skips that they are unable to resell which can be taken apart and made into other things. or if you are uncomfy just taking things from skips i'm sure you could do a few hours voluntary work in return for being allowed to go through the discarded things.

likewise, i love going to festivals and have been known to go to up to 20 in one summer. i don't have the money for tickets or travel so i offer my services to work there in return for food. surely if you were serious about attending many conventions but had very little funds you could look at volunteering there instead.

i believe that absolutely anything is possible if you put your mind to it, and it is only dependant on the limits of your imagination and not your wallet.

and doesn't Mr. Kipling make exceedingly good cakes.......
Gentleman Gaspar
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 09:11:53 pm »

for example, a steampunk could live quite happily on the dole if they were accustomed to skip/dumpster diving and spending what little money they have on superglue and craft supplies that cannot be liberated from skips. charity shops often put things out in skips that they are unable to resell which can be taken apart and made into other things. or if you are uncomfy just taking things from skips i'm sure you could do a few hours voluntary work in return for being allowed to go through the discarded things.

I do that sometimes. You'd be surprised by what you can find.

Another thing...for small accessories and light trinkets (such as small gears, etc.), I've found that by looking on the floor in certain stores you can find many small parts for things that have broken off of other merchandise. It might appear rather odd to others, but sometimes you can find very interesting things. I've a small collection of little metal garnishes and other junk that I could put to use someday.
Der Tinkermann
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

keeper of scapegoats,sitting ducks,and black sheep

brosiman
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 09:19:32 pm »

Thoughts?Male bovine excrement.......
leeps
Zeppelin Captain

Philadelphia

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 09:43:00 pm »

I may have a bit of money (thanks to working a 9 to 5 cubicle job) but I've never been remotely interested in goth...so, I'd have to say this does not seem to fit in my case.

Edward Fairfax Rochester Fan Club
("What the deuce is to do now?")
Theodosia
Officer

Creator of all manner of things!

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 09:59:03 pm »

Hmm... I don't think the title of this thread is true...
Flea markets, charity shops, carboot sales, skips, tips and your Granny's attic are the perfect places to scour for cheap/free trinkets/clothing (although it may smell of mothballs  Undecided)
Steampunk is expensive as an individual makes it...
Or perhaps I'm just cheeky... Make friends with the guys at your local refuse site, ask them to keep an eye out for 'steampunky' things, our guys give us a call if they find anything, and it's great for do-up projects!
I have other sources tapped but if i tell you i'll have to kill you.. or at least injure you enough to prevent you tapping into my personal steampunk wel...l  Grin

Everything happens for a reason. Nothing happens by chance or by means of good or bad luck. Illness, injury, love, lost moments or true greatness and sheer stupidity all occur to test the limits of the soul.
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 10:47:16 pm »

Car boot sales. For years, as a punk/fetishist I've visited car boot sales and bought things like old briefcases to break for the leather and fittings- I have leather jackets/waistcoats I've bought for a song from bootsales, and good stuff too. And yes charity shops, there are several very good ones in town and I trawl them occasionally for clothes and findings.

It doesn't have to cost to be a Steampunk, or a Cyberpunk, or a plain old Punk. In fact the one time I had something made specially for me- a pair of boots- they turned out to be a disappointment. I've Punked my own footwear after that.

It's been said in here, travel/events are what cost, and it's a side of being 'alternative' I've missed out on to a large degree. But heyho, that's life.

There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 10:56:43 pm »

Nope, sorry, not true. I'm a cheapskate and i've never been a Goth. I think i've spent less than £60.00 in total for my steamier garments, and I scratch build my airships from rubbish.
-Matt

Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 11:01:22 pm »

I do everything I can to avoid spending money and I'm still a steampunk Grin
I did used to be a goth, however before I became significantly more steampunk than I was, I was pretty unclassifiable in my dress code/demeanor.

Steampunk is for steampunks with steam. :3

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 11:18:50 pm »

I'd like to se a Venn diagram showing the interconnections of the various groups.

The cash aspect seems irrelevant as I reckon you can be a Steampunk with no money (I manage it on a regular basis)

The defining factor might be "Goths with a sense of humour.' (A very small subset of the whole in my experience.)

Ooooops, now that wasn't very tactful. Was it?

Tongue

Dr. Q.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 01:36:50 am »

Personally, I've never had the slightest interest in the Goth subculture..the "spooky kids" black hair/nail polish/clothing look always seemed a little sad and pathetic to me, like Chas. Addams cartoons but without the humour. Virtually no black in my Steampunk outfits. Closest thing to it that I admire would be true "Gothic" architecture. Always been into steam, brass,Victorian style, good manners etc. I have money, but don't spend much of it on this hobby/lifestyle..a good thrift shop and a sewing machine can supply most of your costumery. Aside from donating $ to support this website, it has cost me very little to pursue my love of Steampunk. Of course, it must be taken into consideration that I am fairly old, have been collecting for years and years, and never throw anything away.

Thistlewaite

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 04:23:40 am »

Personally, I've never had the slightest interest in the Goth subculture..the "spooky kids" black hair/nail polish/clothing look always seemed a little sad and pathetic to me, like Chas. Addams cartoons but without the humour. Virtually no black in my Steampunk outfits. Closest thing to it that I admire would be true "Gothic" architecture. Always been into steam, brass,Victorian style, good manners etc. I have money, but don't spend much of it on this hobby/lifestyle..a good thrift shop and a sewing machine can supply most of your costumery. Aside from donating $ to support this website, it has cost me very little to pursue my love of Steampunk. Of course, it must be taken into consideration that I am fairly old, have been collecting for years and years, and never throw anything away.

Thistlewaite

Word. Except that my wardrobe is largely black and I am useless on a sewing machine.

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Gentleman Gaspar
Deck Hand

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 04:26:47 am »

I know how that is. I've no hand for sewing at all. I could, mostly likely, learn to, but I'm not good at all with a sewing machine. I usually end up purchasing my costumes or costume parts. That, or some other fine person must make it for me.
The Kernel
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

Nutty Scientist

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 06:22:11 am »

It was faded blue denim all the way for me, the only black was my motorbike jacket and boots (never quite got the motorbike though!), except when uniform/work dress codes got in the way (which actually from 20 years ago was most of the time!)

One for whom the terms GEEK and NERD are considered great compliments
Countessa Lenora
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

CountessaLenora
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 05:25:27 pm »

I agree that the title is untrue.  People are coming in from all kinds of backgrounds, not just goth, and they are certainly coming from all sorts of financial backgrounds as well.  I believe imagination is a big factor in being a steampunk.

Regarding events - its easy enough to set up events that people of all financial backgrounds can attend, which makes steampunk more appealing for many.  (picnics, teas and movie nights at someone's home).  Those with money just have more options.

Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 05:28:24 pm »

Never a goth... definitly don't have money....

Captain Reech
Officer

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 05:30:45 pm »

I'm not a Goth and neither is my Wife!

"I didn't 'Blow it up' I 'Modified the way it works' OK?"
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 05:35:24 pm »

Slightly off topic... when did "punk" turn into "goth"? In my freshman year of highschool there were afew punks (circa 87/88?) who were seniors and they graduated. During my last 3 years in highschool there wasn't anyone either goth or punk...

I grew up in southern maryland, not TOO country but not urban at all...
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 05:42:59 pm »

In the UK 'goth rock' emerged from post-punk in the late seventies and early eighties. Mainly the eighties. Goth and Punk are two very different subcultures with Punks being (generally) far more actively anti-establishment and aggressive (not neccesarily violent). Goth fashion often borrows from romantic victorian clothing, fetish, cyber, hard-rock, fantasy vampire and metal wear. I guess I'm trying to say that, whilst Goth Rock came from the Post Punk and Punk movements musically, the subcultures are very different and I don't know any Goths who were once Punks or vice versa.
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 05:52:24 pm »

I think most movements have their "first class" and "second class" aspects. Although there was a fair amount of black bin liner dresses being worn in the punk era there was also a strong "leather trouser and expensive mohair jumper" art school side to it.

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: