The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 02:50:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elgin Pocketwatch Help?  (Read 3533 times)
Captain_MacNamara
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Doktor Ordo Von Warcliffe

« on: July 08, 2009, 10:29:02 am »

I recently acquired an Elgin pocket watch from a local pawn shop. Risky business, as you never quite know what you are going to get... however, this watch seems to be in fine condition save for 2 missing screws which do not interfere with it's operation, the second hand is missing, and the crystal is missing as well which is often the case with antique watches. I need to know if anyone here knows where I can get the replacement second hand and missing screws, and perhaps replacement hour and minute hands as well. I know the case crystal might be a bit more difficult, as the cases were manufactured by third-party companies, but if it is possible to obtain even a plastic crystal that will fit it, I would be interested in that information as well. Here is what I know about my watch:

The serial number off the movement is 3942074. According to elginwatches.org, this puts the watch around 1889, as a grade 95 size 6s 7 jewel movement. I haven't taken pictures of my watch yet, but for now I will link these pictures, as this watch is identical to mine, to give you some idea of what the watch looks like. The red arrow in the movement picture marks one of the screws which is missing on mine. The other missing screw is one of the three tiny screws which hold the face in place.

I know this watch will be in need of servicing eventually, but the movement seems to be very clean for it's age, and only gains about 1 minute per day which seems to me like it's right about where it should be keeping time.

I would appreciate your help, and appreciate your time reading this.

"He who sacrifices Freedom for *Security deserves neither.
~Benjamin Franklin
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 06:10:04 pm »

Nice find! Those old Elgins are pretty decent watches..
For a second hand try Ofrei:

http://www.ofrei.com/page628.html

Ofrei also carries crystals.
If you are getting it serviced, a good watchmaker should be easily able to source the needed parts..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 05:57:20 am »

You could try Jeff Sexton of http://www.elgintime.com/ if you don't mind mailing your watch to him.  He has repaired a couple of my watches for me.  Admittedly I am local.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
Captain_MacNamara
Snr. Officer

Doktor Ordo Von Warcliffe

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 11:53:44 am »

Thank you very much, I have sent a missive to Mr. Sexton.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: