The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 03:01:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Steampunk Musicians Thread  (Read 53441 times)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #275 on: April 24, 2014, 12:26:56 pm »

Whoops double post, nevertheless I am going to throw this in for good measure. It's a promo for Gail Carriger's Finishing School series, but what struck me was how well the song writer nailed it. Apparently she simply gave him a list of Steampunk bands she liked and he came up with this. The people in the vid are all actors, so the singer is not actually the chap singing. But rather like the Alice's Night Circus offering, this is a great blend of modern and vintage styles that (to my mind anyway) really captures the right vibe.

Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger (Finishing School Book 2)

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
shares_in_solvol
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #276 on: April 24, 2014, 06:13:22 pm »

Hope this doesn't look too much like spamming, but then shy bairns get no sweets, as somebody said. Probably Sid the Sexist  Wink.

Anyway this is the second track from Every Black Day's demo of about a year ago. It's called 'Temple and Arch' and if you liked 'Neverwhere' this might be for you!

Every Black Day – Free listening, videos, concerts, stats and pictures at Last.fm

By all means check out the other two but this track is the one where our latent steampunk leanings started to show.

We've recorded a second EP recently, so look out for more steampunk-tinged folk-goth-rock just as soon as we get round to uploading it!

()() ┌──   ()()
()() |      ()()
()() │      ()()
()() ───   ()()
()() - -    ()()
()()  _ /   ()()
()() /      ()()
()()        ()()
() WWBD? ()
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #277 on: April 24, 2014, 11:43:14 pm »

Whoops double post, nevertheless I am going to throw this in for good measure. It's a promo for Gail Carriger's Finishing School series, but what struck me was how well the song writer nailed it. Apparently she simply gave him a list of Steampunk bands she liked and he came up with this. The people in the vid are all actors, so the singer is not actually the chap singing. But rather like the Alice's Night Circus offering, this is a great blend of modern and vintage styles that (to my mind anyway) really captures the right vibe.

I like that, do they have an MP3 download available?

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #278 on: April 25, 2014, 04:31:54 am »

I like that, do they have an MP3 download available?

Not officially as far as I know. It's actually been very hard to find out anything about it (I can't even find the link to the composer's name now or I'd have posted it). I think basically he's simply a pro music writer that she knew and this is the song as is, it seems there isn't a longer version available anywhere. So I would advise downloading it in HD and converting the audio to MP3, as no doubt any dodgy download available has done exactly that.
Sir Boris Cogsworth
Deck Hand
Bangladesh Bangladesh

Cogwheels and Wacky Jacks

« Reply #279 on: May 03, 2014, 05:43:49 am »

ALLEN TOUSSAINT - ME AND YOU on Vimeo

Days... Weeks... Months...
Sir Boris Cogsworth
Deck Hand
Bangladesh Bangladesh

« Reply #280 on: May 03, 2014, 05:56:20 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XWo4ufMkG4
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #281 on: May 06, 2014, 09:56:47 am »

Lol, well that was filthy. As I was told recently, if you remove the s from the http, the vid should embed properly.

Is this proof Sir Reginald is a time traveller?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #282 on: May 07, 2014, 09:28:57 pm »

He's obviously been busy.

Shibboleth
Sir Boris Cogsworth
Deck Hand
Bangladesh Bangladesh

« Reply #283 on: May 12, 2014, 07:41:39 pm »

Lol, well that was filthy. As I was told recently, if you remove the s from the http, the vid should embed properly.

Is this proof Sir Reginald is a time traveller?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thank you good sir!
HideTheNines
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #284 on: May 14, 2014, 02:31:29 am »

Personally when I think of steampunky music I tend to think of pop music from the Edwardian era (a bit of a contradiction I know). I've always loved artists like Al Jolson and Fats Waller.
Other than that I listen to allot of early ragtime. Most people don't realize there was a lot of great ragtime written for orchestras, not just the piano.
1so-static
Gunner

« Reply #285 on: May 20, 2014, 06:38:16 pm »

Not suggesting its Steamy - but it is my m00sic https://myspace.com/1so-static/music/song/nothing-to-hide-excerpt-88468314-98206970

Me doffing my hat to the Moody Blues... in the form of the song they forgot to write
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:39:48 pm by 1so-static » Logged

1so-static
Gunner

« Reply #286 on: May 26, 2014, 04:19:30 pm »

Guide tracks to "Outcast" are finished https://soundcloud.com/1so-static-1
1so-static
Gunner

« Reply #287 on: June 25, 2014, 08:30:01 pm »

Outcast - track now done

https://soundcloud.com/1so-static-1

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #288 on: July 17, 2014, 02:20:25 am »

A few familiar faces here.

All In Together - Professor Elemental - Dir: Moog Gravett
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #289 on: July 17, 2014, 08:43:29 am »

Is this Steampunk Ska?  Or straight Steamy Reggae?

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #290 on: July 17, 2014, 09:22:06 am »

Isn't Ska basically an uptempo version of Reggae? it always kinda sounded like it to me. Funnily enough the chap who runs Steampunk Worlds fair was enquiring on FB as to whether adding some Ska bands to the line up next year would be appropriate. I said as far as the potential invention of Steam Ska goes, I think someone might've beaten him to it.

Madness - Night Boat to Cairo (Official Music Video)

shares_in_solvol
Gunner

« Reply #291 on: September 18, 2014, 01:06:02 am »

May I present the second demo by slightly-sepia-tinged Sheffield band Every Black Day?

https://everyblackday.com/demo-ii

The first track is a decidedly up-tempo affair with a more modern theme, while tracks 2 and 3 have a distinctly more steampunk flavour. I am slowly but surely going to turn this into a steampunk band, it's just a matter of diplomacy ;-)
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #292 on: September 18, 2014, 09:36:37 am »

Isn't Ska basically an uptempo version of Reggae?

Actually, it's the reverse. Ska came first having evolved out of Blue Beat. Then it became Rock Steady. Then the tempo was slowed down and it became Reggay or Reggae.

So, Reggae is a down-tempo version of Ska.

Then somebody decided to combine Reggae with Steampunk....  Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDPuAqQJNNY

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #293 on: September 18, 2014, 11:48:06 am »

Isn't Ska basically an uptempo version of Reggae?

Actually, it's the reverse. Ska came first having evolved out of Blue Beat. Then it became Rock Steady. Then the tempo was slowed down and it became Reggay or Reggae.

So, Reggae is a down-tempo version of Ska.

Then somebody decided to combine Reggae with Steampunk....  Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDPuAqQJNNY

Well I stand corrected, I honestly thought Reggae was hugely old but it's not my major area of expertise. Apparently it wasn't until the 1960's it was recognised as a music genre proper, having been developing for some time prior to that. I guess like a lot of folks of my ilk I didn't get hooked into it until it started to majorly infiltrate the Punk scene. I did get to the first Reggae Sunsplash at Crystal Palace in London, which was truly an awesome day out, and suitably hot and erm...smoky. Sadly it seems at some point it was decided it would be more commercially viable if they rolled all the bass off??? and made it more electronic. Hence bands like the previously excellent Aswad ending up sounding like a cross between Ace Of Bass and UB40 (truly tragic) but that did score them the chart hits I guess they badly wanted. The more underground stuff all seemed to turn into a dub heavy acid trip. Black Uhuru remain my personal favourite Reggae band of all time, and at least I got to see 'em live. Smiley
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #294 on: October 21, 2014, 08:02:11 pm »

What? no one posted this yet! It's kinda fun.

Roundtable Rival - Lindsey Stirling

Timekeeper Harold
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #295 on: November 11, 2014, 10:34:40 pm »

Our new musical offering, may I present The Filthy Spectacula.  An odd mish-mash of styles so I hope you will have a listen and find something you enjoy.  We formed 2 months ago and are looking forward to gigging around the UK.  We are seeking a guitarist, so if you are in or near London and are interested, please drop us a line.

http://www.thefilthyspectacula.com/

Best Regards,

Lord Harold
Timekeeper
TFS
Dataphiles
Deck Hand

Peace Love Unity Respect

DTPLRecords
« Reply #296 on: February 24, 2015, 12:20:22 am »

Hey there,

Here's the 1st track off my new steampunk themed EP that's out today ... played in a steampunk arcade machine

Double the steampunk, double the fun Wink

Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #297 on: February 24, 2015, 04:43:57 pm »

Hey there,

Here's the 1st track off my new steampunk themed EP that's out today ... played in a steampunk arcade machine

Double the steampunk, double the fun Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eoarEkT2YY#
I played half of your EP at the Surrey Convivial at the weekend.

Only as background during the day, but the people I spotted taking notice  seemed to be responding favourably to it.
Dataphiles
Deck Hand

Peace Love Unity Respect

DTPLRecords
« Reply #298 on: February 25, 2015, 01:54:13 am »

I played half of your EP at the Surrey Convivial at the weekend.

Only as background during the day, but the people I spotted taking notice  seemed to be responding favourably to it.

A thousand thank yous, fine sir. That's really great to hear.

I was actually there on Saturday (although disappointingly missed that). Thought you did a fine job of providing the music throughout ... and your booth is genius   Cheesy

Wanted to come up and say hi but you looked pretty busy, hopefully I'll catch you at the next one
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #299 on: February 25, 2015, 03:23:22 am »

I was actually there on Saturday (although disappointingly missed that). Thought you did a fine job of providing the music throughout ... and your booth is genius   Cheesy

Wanted to come up and say hi but you looked pretty busy, hopefully I'll catch you at the next one
You should have, I can usually find time to chat as long as I don't venture too far from the faders.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: