The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:45:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Steampunk Musicians Thread  (Read 53762 times)
jasperhazardous
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2011, 01:05:36 pm »

Tankus the Henge constantly get referred to as Steampunk, but have never admitted it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tankus_The_Henge

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2011, 02:01:26 pm »

Yeah I agree a lot of the folk and folk punk could fit the bill. I met these guys a few years ago when they played on the local radio station. I was mightily impressed with their folk rock fusion and just how well they played live. Apparently they've gone a bit more acoustic these days. They weren't Steampunk, but if a band that sounded like this appeared calling themselves Steampunk I think it would make sense to a lot of people.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #202 on: December 15, 2011, 06:04:04 pm »

Yeah I agree a lot of the folk and folk punk could fit the bill. I met these guys a few years ago when they played on the local radio station. I was mightily impressed with their folk rock fusion and just how well they played live. Apparently they've gone a bit more acoustic these days. They weren't Steampunk, but if a band that sounded like this appeared calling themselves Steampunk I think it would make sense to a lot of people.

A couple of years ago (2006), when my wife and I were still doing music promotion, we booked these guys for our 'Folk Punk' night. Brilliant! We'd met them through friends (Red Flag 77) up in Ipswich playing a little gig at 'The Steamboat', our favourite pub venue bar none.
 A great sound that was somewhere in the alternative dimension where Linkin Park and Jethro Tull play indie folk and punk with mandolin solos and dub. I recommend thier 1st album highly.
 We had them supporting a band called 'JC & The Disciples' who were basically JC Carroll, Chris Payne and Nigel Bennett, who were all previously in The Members ('Sound of The Suburbs'), and it was after that gig that The Members decided to start 'trading' under the old name again. And why not. There's bands out there trading under a band name who have absolutely no original members in the line-up.
 I'm still regularly 'designated driver' for The Members (who now feature one Rat Scabies on drums).

Despite giving up the promotion lark after losing £6,000 over two years we had some great times and wonderful gigs of which this one was amongst my favourites.

Happy days. Grin
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:05:58 pm by Rockula » Logged

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Lady Dent
Deck Hand
England England

....What A Jolly Spiffing Idea !!

RandomDent7
« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2011, 09:30:54 pm »

Sir,
May I be as so bold as to offer these Musicians for your erstwhile inventory?

Thomas Dolby    (SynthPop/Electro) http://thomasdolby.com/
The Big Society  (SynthPop/Electro) http://www.reverbnation.com/thebigsociety
Random Dent     (Soundscape) http://www.reverbnation.com/randomdent

Yours &c

Lady Dent
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 09:42:17 pm by Lady Dent » Logged

- Her Britannic Majesty's Imperial Steam Navy was set-up to pay homage to the Men and Women who currently Serve (and have Served) in The Royal Navy of Great Britain and Nothern Ireland.

- We use RN rank structure - but are not Re-enactors merely an "Alternative Reality" Victorian-style Navy

- Please do not post Advertising - unless RSN related

- Be Splendid - Wrongdoers will be thrown in The Brig.
1st Eng Wollstonecraft
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #204 on: January 08, 2012, 03:51:25 am »

After roaming this thread for quite some time, I have to add this band which I think has some steampunk qualities.

The Receiving End of Sirens
Best example:
The Receiving End of Sirens- Flee the Factory
Alkonost
Deck Hand
Norway Norway

« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2012, 05:14:57 pm »

Honestly, I find in these so-called steampunk bands a lack of originality but I haven't listened to all of them of course. Amongst all these bands, I prefer cabaret style (Dresden Dolls for example). I listen mostly to some dark folk acoustic music, sometimes it fits the steampunk feel, sometimes not. But I find generally classical music naturally more suited for that era. I also love contemporary composers like John Adams:
!
Alkonost
Deck Hand
Norway Norway

« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2012, 10:20:01 pm »

This track by The Legendary Pink Dots has always inspired me steampunk visions:

Legendary Pink Dots - The Gallery

I really adore music which has a grotesque element in it.
CaptainMurra
Gunner
Australia Australia

why hello there!

« Reply #207 on: January 27, 2012, 11:06:46 pm »

Panic! At The Disco: The Ballad Of Mona Lisa [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

has steampunk written ALL OVER IT!

Give thy thoughts no tongue - William Shakespeare
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2012, 01:09:28 am »

Yeah so will this, don't necessarily make it so.

David Guetta - Turn Me On [Teaser] ft. Nicki Minaj

Are we getting excited yet?  Cheesy
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2012, 01:53:25 pm »

Hey, that's my axe in the opening creds! I wondered what happened to it...

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2012, 01:57:56 pm »

Yeah so will this, don't necessarily make it so.

David Guetta - Turn Me On [Teaser] ft. Nicki Minaj

Are we getting excited yet?  Cheesy

Somebody please feed me to an Air Kraken....get me out of my misery. 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #211 on: January 28, 2012, 10:21:16 pm »

I must confess I'm intrigued this time. For those that don't know, this is the one for which they were advertising for Steampunk extras a while back.

The song itself is pure Guetta, but this does look like it could be a cool video. It appears it may have taken some influence from Dr Who, and it does seem quite dark and dare I say it even Gothic. Still we'll have to wait and see. I'm sure it'll be posted by someone when it's finally released, which I'm guessing will be pretty soon now.

Btw, is it true Nicki Minaj has had butt implants? I had no idea such things existed! Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:28:42 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2012, 05:28:18 am »

I must confess I'm intrigued this time. For those that don't know, this is the one for which they were advertising for Steampunk extras a while back.

The song itself is pure Guetta, but this does look like it could be a cool video. It appears it may have taken some influence from Dr Who, and it does seem quite dark and dare I say it even Gothic. Still we'll have to wait and see. I'm sure it'll be posted by someone when it's finally released, which I'm guessing will be pretty soon now.

Btw, is it true Nicki Minaj has had butt implants? I had no idea such things existed! Cheesy

May as well confess too...my fiance listens to pop music when we are on the road largely because she doesn't like it and it keeps her awake.  I can TOLERATE to some extent Nicki Minaj.  Although I don't know if she has butt implants.  They do exist and are apparently quite common, I've heard of men getting them too. 
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2012, 09:35:06 pm »

Well good Lord, you learn something new every day on this site!  Cheesy
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #214 on: February 02, 2012, 01:49:11 am »

Oh well he we are, all a bit strange really. Don't know where the Steampunk extras got to, perhaps they never found any...

David Guetta - Turn Me On ft. Nicki Minaj

D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #215 on: February 02, 2012, 08:18:26 am »

Oh well he we are, all a bit strange really. Don't know where the Steampunk extras got to, perhaps they never found any...

David Guetta - Turn Me On ft. Nicki Minaj

Catchy...I can tolerate it a lot more than I can Bieber....but those naked doll things creep me out. 
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2012, 10:43:23 pm »

Is this the original Steampunk musician?

♫!♫ ! ♫ 4 NON BLONDES - WHAT´S UP subtitulado al español ♫!♫ ! ♫
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2012, 10:46:59 pm »

Alex The Kid. they describe themselves as 'Steampop' and take a synthy pop-rock approach to the music using vocoders in places.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
BB BlackDog
Officer

aka lieutenant Jager Schnitzel

bbblackdog
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2012, 03:36:48 pm »

A few reviews of our new Album.
Thanks Dale

"Dale Rowles Muse alike vocals soar over twin-bass led funk-blues-goth-desert rock fusion, this debut is toe-tappingly sweet" (Bizare Magazine)

"Die Grosse Staerke von BB BlackDog ist es aber, sich niemals zu verfransen und alles schoen einfach klingen zu lassen. Viel versprechender Blues-Psych. der aus dem hohen Norden zu uns rueberschwappt." (Eclipsed Magazine)

"The lead guitar workings of Rowles on the bass. Right up there with the fingerings of Clapton, Page, and Alvin Lee. BB Blackdog is definitely “What You Need“ (Steampunk Chronicle)

"No.One. Is one impressive, powerful album, and one hell of a debut! It has been on the repeat cycle of my recreational audio device the whole day.
10 out of 10 blasting, roaring Zeppelins!" (Daily Steampunk)

www.steampunkrecords.com

Links to my Band "BB BlackDog"'s website's WWW.steampunkrecords.COM/BBBLACKDOGUK
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/BBBLACKDOG            
WWW.BBBLACKDOG.EU
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2012, 04:42:59 am »

A review of the music video we made:

"I don't get it. What is steampunk?"

http://youtu.be/hDRJ14pCLiA

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #220 on: March 03, 2012, 02:23:35 pm »

Dieselpunk daddyo! or is it Steampunk? Retro Futurist? Ray Gun Gothic? do we know or even care anymore?  Cheesy

!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #221 on: March 06, 2012, 06:51:15 pm »

Whoops double post, am I the only one left still interested in this thread?  Cheesy

!
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #222 on: March 08, 2012, 10:36:20 am »

Dieselpunk daddyo! or is it Steampunk? Retro Futurist? Ray Gun Gothic? do we know or even care anymore?  Cheesy

Who cares what you call it - it's marvellous!  Grin Grin

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Elena Hawk
« Reply #223 on: March 26, 2012, 11:28:52 am »

The one person (musician, not a band) That immediately comes to mind for me is David Garrett..
He's an amazing violinist, who plays a genre of music I quite enjoy - Called classical Crossover - essentially it's classical music crossed with another genre. I listen to the non lyrical songs of classical rock/ classical pop.

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #224 on: May 14, 2012, 09:38:21 pm »

I'm really enjoying listening to all the bands.  Some I adore and some - well lets just say I know where the 'off' switch is.  Great.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: