The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:00:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watch purchase advise needed  (Read 1188 times)
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Not in front of the men..................

« on: June 20, 2009, 06:49:56 pm »

Hi its those dreaded words...................I saw this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antique-Silver-Pocket-Watch-1877-Working-spares-repair_W0QQitemZ250444296714QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Jewellery_Watches_Pocket_Watches_Accessories_ET?hash=item3a4fa4b20a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1688|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A3|294%3A50

not a lot of information but was wondering if people thought it might be worth buying and get a watch maker to take a look at it? any  guestimates as to what repairs on a watch of this type can run to?

Thanks all

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 07:06:03 pm »

The reall issue will be parts. If the watch runs, it might be ok with just a servicing, BUT, lots of watchmakers will not touch an older watch like that,simply because  they can't guarantee that it won't be made worse by taking it apart (you never know what might have gone brittle over time). The case will be probably impossible to repair, as well, unless you can find anotehr old case that just happens to fit.
However, for that price, it;d be worth it to have the watch as a piece of history, for sure.

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
JosephR
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:16:55 pm »

For seven pounds, if you're not going to grab it, I will!  Provided he's willing to ship to the US, of course.  There's already two bids on it but I'd certainly be willing to go at least £10.  I suspect that replacing the back would be the most expensive repair it needs.  Crystal replacements are cheap and I wouldn't bother with the cosmetic damage to the face, though replacement faces aren't too difficult or expensive either.

"...having seen everything there is to see, including the botanical gardens, which seem to me likely to confer a great benefit on the country, and the new Houses of Parliament, which I expect will do nothing of the sort..." -Allan Quatermain
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 07:30:06 pm »

I'll try and buy it if doesnt go to high; and see what happens
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 07:42:45 pm »

For seven pounds, if you're not going to grab it, I will!  Provided he's willing to ship to the US, of course.  There's already two bids on it but I'd certainly be willing to go at least £10.  I suspect that replacing the back would be the most expensive repair it needs.  Crystal replacements are cheap and I wouldn't bother with the cosmetic damage to the face, though replacement faces aren't too difficult or expensive either.

On watches that old (especially European ones) you won't easily find replacement crystals, as it wasn't until the mid 1900's that standard crystal sizes were introduced. You might get lucky, if you can measure it accurately in lignes (crystals are sized in lignes and 1/16 of a lignes) so a crystal size would be expressed like this 16 1/16, as an example. The ligne is equal to the twelfth part of the French Inch, which is approximately 1/16th larger than our own inch. One French ligne=2.25583 or roughly 2¼ mm.

Replacement dials will again, almost be impossible, unless one can find another watch in the same model (dial feet differ widely) by the same maker. Even with American pocket watches, dials are becoming harder to find, the exception being those for the more popular railroad models. To have the dial on that one repaired would be very pricey, I've seen enamel dial restorations hit $500.00 for the rarer ones.
Cheers
Harold
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 08:14:37 pm »

urgghh sounds a bit out of my league even if I got lucky on parts Sad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: