The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 05:53:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little advice on making my bike... More better?  (Read 5405 times)
AzraelSkysong
Deck Hand
United States United States

It's good... Just needs more brass...

« on: June 20, 2009, 08:26:58 am »

Alright, I have this bike, see. She's a beautiful blue creature, perfect for modifying to be more... to my tastes, so to speak.

But I need ideas. I already have an idea for a pair of lovely Wood-and-Leather saddle bag things, and am thinking of copper wire and possibly copper leafing on the Ugly Black Plastic, but that's where my creativity has come to a halt.

My bike is almost identical to this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, except that mine has gears and things... I'm thinking of seeing if I can replace the gearlines with something metal-looking, or at least paint them so that they're not, again, black plastic. I do have a can of silver spraypaint somewhere...

Any suggestions/tips would be much appreciated. Perhaps also something to the tone of what to do with my atrociously modern helmet, as well. I am considering just making myself a new one when I get back to my college and have access to the metal shop there.

Many thanks,

Azrael.

The Difficult we do. The Impossible will take us a little while. Now what did you do with my wrench?!
Orwin
Officer

Typical Dabbler of Various Things

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 05:07:47 pm »

I'm not certain you'd be able to find any long enough, but for the there's normally always the shoelace trick.  (and you could probably find some good high bootlace anyways.)

That is to say, snip off the ends an string he cord though the center.  Creates that fabric insulated old-timey look.  I normally believe that works rather well for wires.  Sometimes they sell other kinds of cording besides shoelaces that you can use for such a thing, but I think that's normally in white nylon, though I've also seen it in black I believe....

As for helmets, sometimes they have nice looking vintage stuff on ebay. If nothing else you would probably be able to find some good lining for part of the inside of a helmet you would make.   I'm not sure what sort of helmet you're looking for, but wood might also be a good material to look into.  More likely to break if you fall on your head than metal, but more cushion-y also.  But I may be partial to wooden looking things.  Or you could try for a combination.

You may look into replacing the fenders with wood or something if you have the resources also... and you might similarly be able to strip the paint, and depending on the metal underneath replace it with a nice metal varnish to give it a nice color.  (can be good for faux-brass effects)

Might look into leather wrapping some things also, such as the seat and the handlebars, perhaps a sheath around that structure bar in front of your legs on top.  I forget what it's called, they wrap it infoam sometimes these days.

Again, I don't know what your resources are, but it might also be cool if you could fashion some wooden and/or metal pedals.    Wood shouldn't be too hard to work with, depending on how fancy you want to be, though if you edge it in a metal it would probably be more durable.

If you're able, I also think wood or leather would make a nice looking chain guard, if you want to keep one.

But that's all simply modifications to the existing design. I'm not feeling terribly creative at the moment.  Some notions.
bullzebub
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 10:05:12 am »

paint it. that would probably be the first step...
id suggest black with gold accents.

gear line? is that the wires that control gear change? if so you COULD just strip the plastic away but then you need to oil them pretty often. they usually consist of a metal spiral wrapped in plastic.

id suggest fabricating or getting a old coachlamp or something similar.

i know ive seen a vid of jake von slatt makin one to his car but i cant find it.

wooden pedals would be really simple if you got this model:

just remove the rubber parts ( one screw per rubber part) and make wodden insert.

a tank helmet maybe? :-P

or a old miners helmet?

Thaumaturgical Nuissance
Snr. Officer

I follow rule #29 at all times and in all things.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 07:10:08 am »

I would pull the cables and put them in copper lines if that were an option.
But if budget is an issue, brass or copper painted lines would be cheap and look freaking awesome.

Also... might paint your gears so they look bronze... it'd add that little touch that makes peoples heads turn...

Gonna lie down now, all this thinking made me tired.

lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:15:57 am »

'More Better' is terrible language and extremely incorrect. You should have said 'More Betterer'!

... sorry for the fluff...

tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

I'm not Steampunk, I Live Steampunk....

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 12:42:39 am »

brass tubing affixed to the frame with pipe clamps for the cables, both head and rear lamps, a rack over the back wheel with a permanent wooden box in it, things like that are a good start, in any cased, its a very nice old cruiser bike...

you gotta love livin babe, cause dyin is a pain in the ass -----
 frank sinatra
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 02:02:36 pm »

I've seen brass fenders and chain guards online before! Those would look awesome! Also, paint it.. I'm thinking maybe a dark red.. that would go great with the brass..

http://store.somafab.com/metalfenders.html

Also look for a small horn, brown leather seat and grips..

tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

I'm not Steampunk, I Live Steampunk....

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 08:25:28 pm »

oooooo and some 100 spoke rims, they allways look badass old timey
metalsupplies
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 12:40:31 pm »

Bicycles and motorcycles can be made of several different metals, with various steel and aluminium alloys as the main components. Bicycles can also be made out of titanium. Usually different metals is used for different parts of the bike.
Most bicycles are steel, but aluminum bicycles are also popular. There are some titanium bicycles, but an inexpensive titanium frame is over a thousand dollars. And there are carbon fiber bikes too, catch us http://www.metal-supplies.com
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 01:04:57 pm »

There are bikes that have rods and levers in sted of breaklines. Can't find a picture just now. I'll show you later.

found some pics. I don't know how to incorperate with your bike, but it looks more vintage than breaklines.
For the gears you could use a suiscide shifter
Also earlier mentioned, remove the black plastic coating from the breaklines. It shows a metal spiral-shaped breakline. Harder to keep the rust away though.
I've seen rims with, in stead of spokes, chains. I made a picture but I have n't found it's manufacturer yet.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 10:30:57 am by bicyclebuilder » Logged

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 12:22:41 pm »

*checks dates*

Holy crap, this thread was resurrected by a spambot..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: