The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 02:15:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Empire  (Read 7687 times)
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 19, 2009, 02:01:04 pm »

Join the Empire!

For too long, rogues, vagabonds and pirates have been the plague of the skies. These people stifle free and safe trade between nations, they pllage without thought of cost or consequence. The kid themselves that they're free, free to do what they want, with no-one to stop them. Instead, they're slaves to the next attack, living in doubt as to where the next crateful of supplies is coming from.

Air pirates are, by necessity, divided and divisive, only attacking weak, fat targets such as unarmed merchant ships. Where, I ask, is the honour in that? Pirate's code? What of it? They give no thought to the people whose resources they steal, nor the people those resources were bound for. To them, a cargo of dates and fresh water, stolen over the eastern mediterranean is simply a binding diet for the next 2 weeks. But the families the food and water was destined for starve.

I propose the formation of a new air power that any established government may retain, at a cost, to safeguard their airspace, ports and shipping against these flying parasites. Who's ready to take back the skies, for the freedom and safety of the world?

As a closing point, I'll remind you of this: They've got no shipyards - Once a pirate ship's destroyed, they can't build another.

No factories - They've got to be frugal about expending ammunition.
No laboratories - They can't develop new technologies.
No mines - They can't take metals from the earth.
No leaders - Pirates operate divisively. No pirate holds a rank greater than captain.

Together, we can defeat them, who's with me?

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 02:32:08 pm »

Where, I ask, is the honour in that? Pirate's code?

They're more 'guide lines'

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Orwin
Officer
United States United States

Typical Dabbler of Various Things

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 02:41:32 pm »

While I admire your sentiment my friend, I fear you are far too dismissive of the imminent pirate threat!

While certainly underhanded, undereducated, and uncivilized, these people are not fools.  Part of the anti-pirate campaign will need to be to search out and undermine their base of power.  I am certain they must have their own shipyards, if only for basic maintenance, likewise for restocking and other vital functions.  There has to be some sort of contact network that keeps these vagabonds afloat, and so we mustn't underestimate their ability to band together against a common aggressor.

A good starting place would likely to simply stamp down on some of the more lawless regions, or areas where the local governments and militias have been lax.  There is sure to be some complaining but some sacrifices must be made for the common aesthetic.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 07:07:02 pm »

Join the Empire!

I propose the formation of a new air power that any established government may retain, at a cost, to safeguard their airspace, ports

Which Empire, isn't what you are proposing just being mercenaries?

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 07:53:17 pm »

I'd agree, not really an empire, but if you're proposing a fleet sailing under the maxim The Empire, well hand me a T.I.E. (Tesla Ignition ENgine) fighter and let's begin!

"Who would have guessed that behind the formidable brow of his, which appeared to be made of some kind of rook, there lay so strange a mixture of memories and thoughts?"

Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 07:57:32 pm »

We'll work the kinks out of the nomenclature after we're done stamping out the rebellion pirates.
Orwin
Officer

Typical Dabbler of Various Things

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 10:16:04 pm »

No no no, these things turn to mess if they aren't properly delineated from the beginning.

I'd like to see it as more of a multinational organized militia, aiding in the fusion of standing military powers and supporting areas that are as of yet uncontrolled to reduce the threat of pirate attention.
bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

I like vegetarians, but I couldn't eat a whole one

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 03:11:22 am »

I say, these vagabonds must be driven from our skies!
I'd be more than happy to lead a crew of free men into combat against such vandals!

Click here for win. ---^
Mina
Snr. Officer

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 04:05:53 am »

I say, these vagabonds must be driven from our skies!
I'd be more than happy to lead a crew of free men into combat against such vandals!

I most certainly hope it's not just men being recruited for the Empire! Count me in, for too long has the world been overwhelmed by the lawless nuisances that we call pirates.

We shall strike them back, and we will strike hard.

Come take my journey into night
    Come be my shadow, walk at my side
    And when you see all that I have seen
    Can you tell me love from pride?
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 03:15:59 pm »

I most certainly hope it's not just men being recruited for the Empire!

If you can operate an AA gun or a 4-inch anti-ship deck gun, we'd be glad to have you.
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 03:24:37 pm »

If you can operate an AA gun or a 4-inch anti-ship deck gun, we'd be glad to have you.
I know someone who would be very willing to teach me if I find I have difficulties with said guns.  Grin
Hyren von Henry
Snr. Officer

Yes Actually.

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 03:35:56 pm »

Only if we can have a Queen.

Otherwise I'm sure I can help with the whole colonial / stealing precious artifacts side of things.

Est. 1990
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 03:44:21 pm »

Only if we can have a Queen.

Otherwise I'm sure I can help with the whole colonial / stealing precious artifacts side of things.

Well, I never thought you were the feminine type. that said, M. Insanity's the King, so there's no real reason why you can't be the Queen.
Hyren von Henry
Snr. Officer

Yes Actually.

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 03:50:04 pm »

Oh no, it's just I feel more comfortable shouting "for the Queen!"

I have an inferiority complex you see, so I can't really handle anyone outranking me... but since I can never actually be the Queen, I have no problems in taking orders from her.
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 03:51:15 pm »

we can all just pretend that I am the queen!  Cheesy
bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 03:52:29 pm »

*sits in workshop, cackling to oneself, designing ludicrously powerful weapons of war*
Hyren von Henry
Snr. Officer

Yes Actually.

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 03:55:01 pm »

Ok then.  Cheesy

(though I'm not sure how much I agree with uuggghh a democratically elected Queen Tongue, I'd far prefer it if you killed a Griffon or such and such.)
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 03:57:22 pm »

I think I would make a fantastic monarch *lounges on throne and flexes talons*

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 03:58:00 pm »

Ok then.  Cheesy

(though I'm not sure how much I agree with uuggghh a democratically elected Queen Tongue, I'd far prefer it if you killed a Griffon or such and such.)

"But I'm the KING!"

"You're the King? Well I didn't vote for ya"
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 04:00:22 pm »

Whomever's the queen should know that I'm the Prime Minister. And it's a constitutional monarchy!  Grin
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 04:03:08 pm »

No problems here..... Tongue
Glasgow Jon
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 04:04:47 pm »

As a boat builder, prospective airship builer and STEAM PYRATE, all I have to say is "Look to the skys, we're ready and waiting for you."  Tongue Tongue Tongue

Better to be a dead Airship Pyrate than to exist in mediocrity!!

Glasgow Jon.
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 04:45:57 pm »

As an Officer in the Royal Vectis Navy, I have to say "we've already got and empire, so ner ner ner ner ner" and as the host of the Warlords, Rogue Generals etc club I say "anyone who enlists in this empire is welcome to join us as well for drinks and refreshments, our mission is actually the same as this new ascending power".
As an aside, any vessel seen displaying both the black flag *and* the Island Jack is a privateer under our command. Please refarin from opening fire upon them unless you're at war with our nation.
-Matthias Gladstone, Master and Commander (amongst other things) RVNZ Yarmouth Castle

Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/
Acadian Angel
Gunner

Be a darlin' and fix me a julep would ya?

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 05:04:41 pm »

we can all just pretend that I am the queen!  Cheesy

How about a ladies duel to decide who is Queen?  Everything is so much sweeter when you had to fight for it.

(Now gentlemen, as a female, I'm trying to start a cat fight for you.  Jump right on in now, that's my US size 6 (UK 4.5) alligator muleskinner's boot making repeated contact with your ankles.)

Hmmm, surely this Empire needs an intelligence bureau.  (No need to use that nasty word "spy" since we are all ladies and gentlemen here.)  I would love to offer my services in the Great Game, especially since it would be for Queen and Country!

That and I've always wanted to put on khakis, a pith helmet and ride off with the Lancers to Peshawar for "tiger hunting."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 05:58:52 pm by Acadian Angel » Logged

The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Amsterdames
bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 05:24:44 pm »

Hmmm, surely this Empire needs an intelligence bureau.  (No need to use that nasty word "spy" since we are all ladies and gentlemen here.)  I would love to offer my services in the Great Game, especially since it would be for Queen and Country!

Spies? Hmm.

Are they issued with Balisong knives? <3
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: