The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 12:26:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk tattoo help  (Read 21856 times)
Chicago
« on: February 27, 2007, 04:34:27 pm »

so.... lets start out by saying, I'm new here. I am here in search of help for a tattoo idea I've had for quite a while. I have recently realized that this idea falls into the steam punk genre,  so hopefully you can help point me in the right direction. I'm looking for artists and sources of inspiration.

The Idea: a steam-powered robot

some background:

from what I've read I fall into some aspects of steampunk but not others. basically I enjoy the engineering and Victorian aesthetic of steampunk but not the fantasy side of it. I've always liked the aesthetic of factories and purpose built machinery. It's hard for me to summarize but I'll try; I seem to like these things due to the fact that they were built from a purely functional point of view, yet in this functionality and precision, I see art.

ok... enough of that,

Basically what I’m looking for is an artist whose work is more inspired by engineering and architecture than anything else. I don’t really want a cartoonish drawing. What I have in mind is a sort of diagram of a steam-powered Victorian era humanoid robot. I am also inspired by the likes of the Leonardo da Vinci sketches.

Thanks for you help
Tinker
Snr. Officer

Edisonade adventurer and maker of gadgets.

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 11:56:34 pm »

Random inspiration:

The first thing I thought about was the possibility of a full back piece.  Imagine YOU are the steam powered robot, and the skin of your back or other body part has been torn away to show the hoses, pistons, gears, etc. underneath.

Now I want one too...

A.
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 01:45:36 am »

Probably not what you are looking for, but the tattoo on this characters shoulder is pretty cool:

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 01:58:59 am »

Heres another:

Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 02:01:21 am »

Nice!

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 02:55:37 am »

haha that shoulder tattoo is almost identical to the one im getting soon. One on the face of either shoulder.

re: the torn skin tattoo: It's a neat idea conceptually, but practically a tattooing cliche at this point...and a little dated. I'd recommend against it.

“I'm not a paranoid deranged millionaire. Goddamit, I'm a billionaire.” - Howard Hughes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: