The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 08:17:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clock dissection help?  (Read 1087 times)
LostHorizons
Gunner
United States United States

« on: June 14, 2009, 06:02:03 pm »

I have acquired defunct clock that is more scrap metal than anything else. I'm trying to salvage the gears within, the largest of which measures about 2.5 in (6-7 cm). These are connected to the springs. The rest of the gears are connected to shafts which I neither want nor have use for.

How can I remove the gears from the shafts/springs without hurting the gears?

I have access to: soldering implements, hacksaw, power drill and bits, hammers, screwdrivers, socket wrenches, monkey wrenches, wire cutters, bolt cutters, pliers of many persuasions, and files.

In addition, can anyone recommend a degreaser?

Ours was a city of lost horizons and towering stories... A city of front and back, a city of light and shadow.

-MirrorMask
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 02:05:19 am »

Word of advice first : make SURE the main spring is UNWOUND! - there is quite a bit of energy locked up in a clock spring, pulling the clock apart with a wound up main spring is a good way to get a nasty surprise, and possibly an injury (it's happend to me before, I speak from experience...). Wink

The shafts on the gears can be tapped / pushed out - have a search of the forums, there's one or two threads that describe this.

For a degreaser, any petroleum based solvent will work (petrol (gas), white spirit (paint thinner / turps substitute), paraffin, WD40 etc.) To remove any left over traces of grease / oil, use soapy water or methylated spirit (methanol / camping stove fuel). Smiley

As for how to take it apart - it depends on how it's held together in the first place...  Wink

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
LostHorizons
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:23:21 pm »

Thanks very much. The advice on the springs came a bit too late; I gave myself a rather nasty shock when they popped free from the housings.  Roll Eyes I still have all of my fingers, so no harm done.
SimpleComplex
Deck Hand

Head engineer aboard the Scorpionus.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 07:49:07 am »

..i made an auto-rig that uses pliers in reverse to get the springs out..it never works well but it sure was fun making a robot.

"Rookie, who's arm is stuck in this gear?"
"That guys?" *rookie points at dead body missing arm"
"Correct, wait, there's really an arm in this gear?"
"Yea"
*rejoices*"I'm not crazy anymore!!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: