The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 04:10:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fancy making me a watch?  (Read 5190 times)
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« on: June 12, 2009, 03:56:36 pm »

I need a wrist mounted timepiece to wear at work, and I cannot find anything I like either in modern stores, or vintage lines. I'd love something steampunk, that is, not a Victorian watch or a pocketwatch, but something fantastical and super steamy! It doesn't have to have a clockwork movement, expensive parts or be anything vintage, as long as its beautiful! Does anyone fancy taking this on? I'd start with £50 and then throw more money at you as you felt suitable.....

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Brian_r
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:28:33 am »

Have you considered Nixie tubes? Those, brass and leather could look good - albeit not very waterproof Smiley 180 volts are needed to drive the Nixies and it would be chunky - see here http://www.amug.org/~jthomas/watch.html but could be impressive if cased properly.

Just a thought....
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 07:32:01 pm »

Have you considered Nixie tubes? Those, brass and leather could look good - albeit not very waterproof Smiley 180 volts are needed to drive the Nixies and it would be chunky - see here http://www.amug.org/~jthomas/watch.html but could be impressive if cased properly.

Just a thought....

For wrist mounted wear?

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 08:22:01 pm »

There was a gentleman making wrist watches using miniature nixie tubes for a while.  They weren't cheap.

Darkshines, What sort of thing did you have in mind?  Perhaps that would help people decide if they can help you?

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:26:14 pm »

Something like these (all images stolen from google)

darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:07:07 pm »

Anyone? Sad
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 02:32:29 am »

If I could find decent materials at a good price and myschedual was a wee bettwr I'd love to. I'd likely gut some thrift store watches fort the parts so it wouldn't be an authentic mechanical.

The idea does make me want to draw up a few concepts perhaps.

darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 08:52:14 am »

I have some cogs and even a possible strap base if needed!
Gunny001
Gunner
Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 01:37:05 pm »

Well, I would be more than happy to help you in this matter, if you'd like - but you should be forewarned that the cost of getting the final item delivered to you from Canada would be a bit pricey. Based on an estimated weight, Canada Post would charge me $45-$65 Cdn., (£25-£35), just for the shipping.

However, if you are still interested, let me know, and we can discuss details...
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 02:27:02 pm »

Possibly yes, PM me your ideas and we'll see how it goes, I would prefer someone in the UK if shipping is going to be that much though....
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 02:28:29 pm »

Ms D - for design ideas, here are some sites.  Note these types of watches do not meet with universal acceptance on this forum, but I like them a lot.  markf

http://www.steampunklab.com/watches/11

http://olgaclockworks.com/page_5_clock_gallery_pics_018.htm

http://thessoa.twistedeyephoto.com/SSOASites/ARMArtCuffs.html

http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html

http://www.watchismo.com/retrowerk-watches-steampunk.aspx

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 08:22:19 pm »

Something like these (all images stolen from google)

a lot of those watches are made by the same person; hes in Japan; he speaks english but his site is all in japanese; if you can babbel fish or something you could get one; hes not that expensive either if I recall

his site is at http://www.eager-beavers.net/products/shouhin_guide.cgi

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 04:47:31 am »

so was somebody helping you? I've got a few dissassemblies underway of thrift store finds. I've a few half formed ideas and a sketch or two.

Again since I'm in the colonies as it were it might run a bit to send something your way, but then I've never tried so haven't any real idea.

darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 08:05:20 pm »

No-one else has offered...
SimpleComplex
Deck Hand

Head engineer aboard the Scorpionus.

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 07:44:10 am »

I've got my own watch to build, id love to make you one but at the moment I'm hunkered down waiting for this family storm to leave, so i can get back to building but i cant go into the garage until allll the family goes home...(3 weeks) I'm sure some of these other people will help you..maybe give your own a shot..if it doesn'
t look right..Dismantle it and try again..it will work out for you in the end.

"Rookie, who's arm is stuck in this gear?"
"That guys?" *rookie points at dead body missing arm"
"Correct, wait, there's really an arm in this gear?"
"Yea"
*rejoices*"I'm not crazy anymore!!"
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 03:41:05 am »

Well I've got myself thinking and adding watch projects to my list now, but it is already a very long list.

Perhaps you could give me a bit of an idea as to your desires?

do you want the watch face to be an altered item or is it more about setting the actual time keeping parts into a more decorative and SP setting?

Do you like clunky or filigree?

shiny or tarnished?

big, ooversized or tiny and delicate looking?

Functional looking or completely fantastic?

Pocket or wrist watch? (or necklace, chocker, ring, or something else)
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 08:51:38 am »

It has to be a functioning wristwatch, it can't be TOO huge or clunky as I am wearing it to work but the can look fantastical as long as it fits those perameters. I prefer something that looks tarnished but not scrappy, I like both clunky AND filiigree- so I'd let you decide there, and I'd rather not have something tiny or delicate.
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 09:05:30 am »

Those watches are amazing and I'd love to have a go, but laden with projects for the moment and it would most likely end up costing quite a bit more than £50 I'm afraid.

"Who would have guessed that behind the formidable brow of his, which appeared to be made of some kind of rook, there lay so strange a mixture of memories and thoughts?"

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 03:15:00 am »

I have a watch and have begun the disassembly (mostly the wrist band and checking around inside) I have an idea based roughly on the type of watch it is and will be hunting around for things I need to make it all happen.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 03:51:12 am »

disassembly completed... mostly.

Sorry this is taking me so long. I've got lots of projects on the burners right now.

A couple of rapier designs, some maps to make by hand, a possible steam punk version of a famous doctors famous tool, as well as taking a former landlady to court, paying sales and use tax to greedy buerocrats who want there four dollars (plus fifty for the privilage of being able to offer my goods to congoers in their state while I was attending said con) for raygun sales.

And the usual web comics updates, word puzzles compilings and all the other stuff that fills my days.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 07:32:18 am »

You take your sweet time, money is ridiculously tight right now!
Silent Theatre
Officer

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 05:02:32 pm »

Hi Darkshines, what a great opportunity for someone.Ive just started steampunking but Im not up to the standards of the people here otherwise Id offer my services.
Tho you can see what Ive made on my flickr page, you may like my Steampunk time piece, it flashes dontcha know.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 03:34:05 am »

hey DS, I should be able to set up work space again soon. I'm working on settling into the new home, writing nanowrimo novels, making a few simpler props and making a steampunk rapier for commision right now. But Hopefully by the end of the month I'll be able to swing back toward making a few watch mods. You still intrested in the wrist watch possability?
Burr
Snr. Officer

My bark is worse then my bite

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 03:45:45 am »

I realise I am late to the party, but you can get genuine mechanical wrist and pocket watches for about £5-10 on eBay. Cheap as chips, as the fella says. Gut one of those for the mechanisms or use it as a base for the device or for extras in the cosmetic area. Keeps the cost of the job low and lets you have a skeleton or mechanical watch look like the first example DS was showing (I think it was based on one of the cheap eBay ones too). The quartz ones are slightly cheaper too.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 08:57:36 am »

A watch is no longer my top priority as the UK steam meet has been and gone, and I have a new job with means I have to wear the watches we sell. So nah, its ok.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: