The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 16, 2018, 04:41:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-steamed steampunk guns  (Read 322385 times)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #975 on: January 20, 2017, 04:10:53 am »

Apparently not too rare.

-Karl
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #976 on: February 10, 2017, 06:44:44 am »

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/afghan-jezail-rifle-is-a-unique-firearm-with-a-deadly-accurate-history/ 

A brief history of the jezail.

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #977 on: February 10, 2017, 02:35:36 pm »

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #978 on: May 17, 2017, 10:39:08 pm »

Here's one I'd never seen before:

Fagnus Revolver. Shoots 45s. Hinged frame opens for reloading.
urgolem
Gunner
Belgium Belgium

Explorigator II

« Reply #979 on: August 10, 2017, 06:33:01 pm »

My very steampunk Irish percussion transitional revolver, developed from a pepperbox (a quite rare model) :

Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #980 on: November 14, 2017, 09:33:25 am »

That one's really neat! Is it yours?
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #981 on: March 20, 2018, 04:34:46 am »

A friend of mine (the same one for whom I did the costume sketches in http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49610.0.html ) holidayed last year in Italy. He sent me these photos,  after I pointed out some of the items in this thread to him. He tells me "the revolving musket and cannon are in the collection of the Doge's Palace, Venice; the others are in the Museo del Castello San Giusto (Museum of Saint Giusto Castle), Trieste, photographed by me." He also said I was welcome to share them here, so here they are, with his comments.

"The blunderbuss is an old flintlock, but with a hook to go into a hole in a wall, or a stagecoach rail: a bit of an eye-opener - imagine it on the door-post of a steam-landau. Can't you just imagine Mexican bandits attacking a train in Texas, only to find each carriage armed with a selection of these? Or air-ships floating about, blasting away at each other and point-blank range?" My comment - well of course I can! I'm on this forum after all!

"The hand cranked revolving musket is a wheel lock (I think - couldn't get close enough to be sure), with a dozen or more independently loaded barrels, rotated with some sort of cranking device. 17th Century ... they were trying hard even then."  EDIT: I see this appears at http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30440.1825.html with some description.

"Hunting rifles ... just ordinary little flintlocks, but beautifully designed to be as ergonomic as possible."

"If bullets don't work ..  found this and the hunting rifles in a forgotten castle way up on a Triestine hilltop."

"Over n under ... Trieste again. This and the "if bullets don't work" one are of your bog-standard derringer type; definitely a lady's weapon, and clearly it was expected that ladies are more likely to miss at point blank range and thus needed two shots and a dainty little blade as a back-up to their range of hat-pins. BTW, I don't like the Apache ... apparently a lady was expected to spend valuable time in a fight unfolding the thing, then to use the knuckle dusters she had to mess about reversing it, only to have both the blade AND the five or six-shot chamber pointing straight in her face. Presumably the knuckle-duster was intended as a last resort." - My response to him was "When all else failed the lady could save her honour by using the knuckle-duster on herself." On reflection I'd consider the Apache a weapon for sly attacks, not hasty self defence.

"Revolving cannon  1 & 2: like the hand cranked musket, but with much bigger bullets. The main armament for a dirigible man o'war?"

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:59:31 am by Melrose » Logged
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #982 on: March 21, 2018, 05:09:56 pm »

"The blunderbuss is an old flintlock, but with a hook to go into a hole in a wall, or a stagecoach rail: a bit of an eye-opener - imagine it on the door-post of a steam-landau. Can't you just imagine Mexican bandits attacking a train in Texas, only to find each carriage armed with a selection of these? Or air-ships floating about, blasting away at each other and point-blank range?" My comment - well of course I can! I'm on this forum after all!

LOVE IT!

==============================================================

"The hand cranked revolving musket is a wheel lock (I think - couldn't get close enough to be sure), with a dozen or more independently loaded barrels, rotated with some sort of cranking device. 17th

Looks more like a matchlock from the picture that you posted.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:55:05 am by Will Howard » Logged

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #983 on: March 22, 2018, 02:38:06 am »

"The hand cranked revolving musket is a wheel lock (I think - couldn't get close enough to be sure), with a dozen or more independently loaded barrels, rotated with some sort of cranking device. 17th

Thanks for that. Captioned by the photographer who says he couldn't get close enough to be sure. However, he may possibly join this forum to discuss the matter! Cheesy The link I added to the caption (to a post by Prof. Marvel in another thread on this forum) describes a matchlock.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:41:28 am by Melrose » Logged
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #984 on: March 22, 2018, 10:06:31 pm »

There is another angle from that revolving musket. https://www.flickr.com/photos/31625842@N02/36632619332

Quite interesting design for 17th century firearm.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #985 on: March 23, 2018, 04:21:20 am »

Thanks for that. Captioned by the photographer who says he couldn't get close enough to be sure. However, he may possibly join this forum to discuss the matter! Cheesy The link I added to the caption (to a post by Prof. Marvel in another thread on this forum) describes a matchlock.

Thank you My Good Melrose for that mention!

I agree, from the new angles we can definitely see it is a matchlock .

Yhs
Prof Marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Melrose
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #986 on: March 27, 2018, 04:06:39 am »

Thank you My Good Melrose for that mention!

I agree, from the new angles we can definitely see it is a matchlock .

Yhs
Prof Marvel

Sir, the thanks are due entirely to you and your edifying exposition upon the subject of the harquebus. That, and it gives me an excuse to commend your superb signature. Wink
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #987 on: May 18, 2018, 10:53:25 pm »

I just found this image:

Described as a Vintage Antique Cross Bow Pistol:
https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/8917-vintage-antique-cross-bow-pistol
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #988 on: May 18, 2018, 10:56:18 pm »

Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #989 on: May 20, 2018, 02:30:31 am »

Oh my, the workmanship is amazing...
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #990 on: May 20, 2018, 11:04:28 pm »

Belated thanks to Melrose for his kind remarks and to
Herr Bowman for the superb engraved Mauser C-96, and his namesake ( ie cross bow )

yhs
prof marvel
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #991 on: May 31, 2018, 03:25:31 am »

Volta's Pistol:

Volta's electric pistol - explanation

A laboratory demonstration created by Volta to demonstrate electric ignition of gas. The blown glass apparatus was produced in a variety of shapes, including miniature cannons and replica muskets.

It never caught on as a weapon of war, but the ignition system made the gasoline engine possible.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: