The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 02:39:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-steamed steampunk guns  (Read 300972 times)
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2009, 10:32:01 pm »

dime-sized group at 300 yards with a .223

Shocked

I'm a member of a shootin' club in the UK, and after 3 months' practice (once a week, about a hour's shooting, when it's all considered) I could get 10 .22LRs through one hole at 25 yards, which was all the club had space for.

But A dime's got to be... .75 of an inch, right? At three hundred yards? That's utterly remarkable.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
von Klank
Snr. Officer
United States United States

"Und now vher did I leef mein goggles?"

« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2009, 11:16:00 pm »

A dime is roughly .688". And yes, that is damned impressive. More so if the dime is in your vest pocket.  Grin

Maschinenkontrol ist fur only Experten Technischens! Gerverken by das Dumnkopfen ist Striktly Verboten!
von Klank
Snr. Officer

"Und now vher did I leef mein goggles?"

« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2009, 11:31:21 pm »

A couple of my favorites - rather steamy, and fit the period. Both rimfire cartridge pepperboxes.

The Sharps Derringer
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Remington-Elliot Derringer
Kogwheal
Zeppelin Captain

Tinker, mailler, tall-taler, all-purpose sillyman

« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2009, 03:05:27 am »

I have a modest collection of both long arms and pistols...many fall below the 1914 cut-off date for discussion, many don't.  I may post a few of them at another date.

I read through the thread with interest...there are a LOT of neat-looking pistols out there.  My favourite of the moment in terms of "Steampunk without being Steampunk" is this one:
1893 Bittner, made by....Gustav Bittner of (I belive) Bohemia.  7.7mm, 6-shot, magazine fed repeating pistol.  I would really love to get my hands on a real one, but the prices I have seen when one of them becomes available is astounding ($17,500).  So...I plan on trying to build one.  Non-firing, of course....I'm not a gunsmith, after all!   Wink  My lady needs a sidearm, I need to build this pistol....match of convenience, it seems!

WOW!  Shocked   That thing is amazing!

I think Cap'n Mal's gun is based on a LeMat.  But this thing...jeez.  It doesn't even need to be altered in any way to look like the sort of gun a cowboy from space would sling.  I hope to see pictures once you've put yours together.
Tailor OTearney
Officer

« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2009, 11:55:26 am »

The Mannlicher Model of 1905 has always been one of my favorites, it took me thirty years to get this one. The manufacturing quality is extraordinary.

Oh, that is a pretty one.  Thank you for showing it off!

WOW!  Shocked   That thing is amazing!

I think Cap'n Mal's gun is based on a LeMat.  But this thing...jeez.  It doesn't even need to be altered in any way to look like the sort of gun a cowboy from space would sling.  I hope to see pictures once you've put yours together.

I know!  I stumbled across a photo and a quick blurb on that gun a few years ago, then promptly forgot about it until very recently. 

Jayne's gun was built off a LeMat.  Mal's pistol...there are elements of a number of pistols in there.  I would love to have seen/held/absconded with the Hero version....
It might be awhile before I start it, but there will be plenty of photos if it turns out looking right!
JosephR
Officer

« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2009, 03:04:32 pm »

dime-sized group at 300 yards with a .223

Shocked

I'm a member of a shootin' club in the UK, and after 3 months' practice (once a week, about a hour's shooting, when it's all considered) I could get 10 .22LRs through one hole at 25 yards, which was all the club had space for.

But A dime's got to be... .75 of an inch, right? At three hundred yards? That's utterly remarkable.

This was after about fifty years of practice, often several hours a week, plus some serious effort in crafting his loads - you don't do that sort of thing with factory ammo.  When you get into the world of precision shooting it's not all that extraordinary - five-round one-hole shots at 100 yards are not uncommon.

"...having seen everything there is to see, including the botanical gardens, which seem to me likely to confer a great benefit on the country, and the new Houses of Parliament, which I expect will do nothing of the sort..." -Allan Quatermain
Hey Joe
Snr. Officer

« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2009, 03:15:26 pm »

When I did my final assembly and testing of the Model 1851 Colt replica kit I had bought from Connecticut Valley Arms, I shot a 25 yard, 5 shot, 7/8" group from a sandbag rest. That revolver was a keeper.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2009, 05:14:33 am »

Nordenfelt.

The Nordenfelt Gun was a multiple barrel machine gun that had a row from one to twelve barrels. It was fired by pulling a lever back and forth. It was produced in a number of different calibres from rifle up to 25 mm (1 inch). Larger calibres were also used, but for these calibres the design simply permitted rapid manual loading rather than true automatic fire.

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

I'm not Steampunk, I Live Steampunk....

« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2009, 10:58:10 pm »

winners all around! lol

you gotta love livin babe, cause dyin is a pain in the ass -----
 frank sinatra
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2009, 12:26:40 am »

OK, so i had to come back here and post this... i just got a Spanish American war 45-70 springfield trapdoor rifle, shes a marvel

this is a pic i found on line, i will take one myself soon of my new lovely...

shes a conversion from a civil war springfield and shes pristine... i plan to shoot her this weekend, i already tracked down a couple boxes of the proper ammo and a bullet mold so i can make my own... shes a cartridge gun, the first standard issue cartridge gun used in America, she has the pop up buffington sight on the barrel and the huxton globe rear sight for 'high ark' shooting just behind the action on the stock...

this is a big game gun if there ever was one, Teddy Roosevelt used them on safari in Africa, buffalo hunters adopted them straight away in the American west, hundreds saw action in Australia as bush guns...

it saw action on nearly every battlefield in the world from 1884 to 1914 and they were still being used to much success against the Russians in Afghanistan right into the 1980s....

this gun is a historymaker... I'm in love O_O
Tailor OTearney
Officer

« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2009, 01:41:35 pm »

Nice find there, Tophatdan!  Let us know how she fires.
I have one of those myself....not the Spanish-American version, though.  I'll have to see if I can track down photos.
I have fired it once, and I can tell you it's one hell of a boom!  I made the gentlemen testing their hunting rifles put their high-tech weapons down to come see what I was shooting. Grin
Prof.James Hermonimus Smy
Gunner
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2009, 02:30:43 pm »

Pocket pistol - definitely the "Apache" folding pistol - with bayonet, and can be used as a set of brass knuckles.

Cheers!

Chas.
[/quote]

awsome , the definitive steampunk arseanel multitool

"Pip pip cheerio , for the tea won't drink it's self"
JosephR
Officer

« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2009, 02:41:11 pm »

Pocket pistol - definitely the "Apache" folding pistol - with bayonet, and can be used as a set of brass knuckles.

Cheers!

Chas.

awsome , the definitive steampunk arseanel multitool

I believe you mean "armory."  An arsenal is where weapons are made, an armory is where they are stored.  

Yes, I know - most talking news-heads get it wrong too.
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2009, 07:01:07 pm »

ah, wondrous things, well i have been shooting my 45-70, shes a wonder, barely any kick, 4 inch groupings at 200 yards, which is astounding i would think for an old gun like that. i have even started reloading my own shells for her... thinking about doing a little mod. i have an anderson sight that with just a little carving and tapping can be mounted on her, and some sling mounts made for a sharps that i think i can fit onto thee barrel.

maybe make a bandoleer sling for the shells...
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2009, 07:17:08 pm »

Can any of the experts here explain to me why, with the multitude of replicas of truly ugly automatic weapons available, there should be such a dearth of Webley replicas? Any Webley?
 The nearest I've found is a rubber film prop said to be 'in the style of Indiana Jones' that's like a piece of liquorice and not at all what I'm looking for. Pah!

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2009, 07:33:06 pm »

How much "action" do you want in it?  Being in the UK, I'm guessing that a blank-firing gun is undesirable, so it comes down to if you want a working trigger or not.  I'm behind a work filter so I can't really see all these, but try these links

http://www.historicalweaponsstore.com/war-pistols-war-gun-reproductions.html
http://www.frontiermodels.co.uk/Webley-MKIV-Prop-Model-Kit-p-19192.html

My main search tip for you would be to remember that Indiana Jones carried a Webley, so I'd look into the Indiana Jones costuming groups.

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2009, 07:44:19 pm »

How much "action" do you want in it?  Being in the UK, I'm guessing that a blank-firing gun is undesirable, so it comes down to if you want a working trigger or not.  I'm behind a work filter so I can't really see all these, but try these links

My main search tip for you would be to remember that Indiana Jones carried a Webley, so I'd look into the Indiana Jones costuming groups.

Thanks for the tip and links. I've actually approached the Historical Weapons folk previously and, although they have much information about the Webley range, they don't actually have any.

The resin model might be ok for a display, it does look nice, but I 'd really rather feel the weight of metal.

On searching it seems I'm only one of many, many people searching for a decent Webley replica.
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2009, 05:24:12 pm »

It may interest followers of this thread to know that an American company is actually making progress on replica Merwin Hulbert revolvers. For many years the exacting standards of fitting made these impractical to reproduce, but modern CAD/CAM systems are finally good enough to repllicate the work of the best machinists of the late 19th century. . . .

The last I heard, they had solved the insanely complex forging, milling, and drilling procedure needed to produce the one piece forward frame and barrel unit, and are now working on figuring out which of dozens of patented improvements to include in the lockwork. Several models are in the pipeline

Darkhound

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2009, 10:59:31 pm »

Thanks for the tip and links. I've actually approached the Historical Weapons folk previously and, although they have much information about the Webley range, they don't actually have any.

The resin model might be ok for a display, it does look nice, but I 'd really rather feel the weight of metal.

On searching it seems I'm only one of many, many people searching for a decent Webley replica.

Webley's are sought after by the Indiana Jones fans.. there are quite a few leads here: http://indylounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=guns&action=display&thread=829 browse the rest of the forum for more.. Smiley

tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2009, 06:19:59 pm »

there is some company making broomhandle mausers right now, i can remember the name but its a modern production of the classic gun... cost about 400-600 bucks but they are out there if ya look... mmmm brandnew 9mm mauser pistol... who doesn't drool at that...
Sir L. Cuilein
Officer

Colonel Sir L. Cuilein Kings Royal Elite (Ret.)

« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2009, 04:16:33 am »

Hey shoot a link on the manufacturer of the Broomhandles! Cause that's a heck of a price!

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
–Winston Churchill
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2009, 05:04:21 am »

Yes, please do.

I fired one in a movie once - long story, but I was an extra on "Secrets of the Phantom Caverns" (working title) and we were all supposed to be firing at a fleeing jeep which was returning fire.  I was having fun, so I took up a classic duellist's stance and commenced firing for all I was worth.  The blanks were kicking so bad it blew the rear sight clean off the pistol.

I would love to find one in shooting condition, for a price I would consider shooting with.

Thanks!

Chas.
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2009, 05:14:56 pm »

im looking for the magazine i read about those in... as soon as i find it i will post here... it was a small historical arms manufacturer, but you always get the best quality with them cause they cant afford to screw up...
maze.rodent
Gunner

« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2009, 12:54:05 am »

there is some company making broomhandle mausers right now, i can remember the name but its a modern production of the classic gun... cost about 400-600 bucks but they are out there if ya look... mmmm brandnew 9mm mauser pistol... who doesn't drool at that...
if you can supply a manufacturer name, please, they are my favorite gun ever!
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2009, 02:29:50 am »

if you can supply a manufacturer name, please, they are my favorite gun ever!

still looking, i ran across it in the back of a guns and ammo or an american rifleman or one of those publications a while back...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: