The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 02:37:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watch question  (Read 1039 times)
shadowhaint
Gunner
United States United States

« on: June 06, 2009, 07:29:18 pm »

Greetings all,
I usually post over on the art thread, but lately I have started incorporating a lot more found objects in my work. I had acquired this.

and had a few questions and would be grateful for opinions
Lots of parts seem to be missing so am I right to assume that it wouldn't be worth fixing ?(I'd just hate to use parts of something that may still have life in it but my mechanic ability is limited)
Would the face be better left as is or shined up a bit? the etching is lovely but barely visible.
Is it easy to dismantle w/o damaging parts  if I want to take face off? (are there posts here on that?)
thanks alot
sincerely,
shadowhaint

Yes, I am in touch with reality - it's just that I don't care much for it
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:00:42 pm »

That's a fairly old watch, being key wind and key set, I'd say 1850-60, and European. Can't quite make out the shape of the teeth on the escapement wheel, but it could be a cylnder escapement. It looks fairly intact, as well..  I'd clean it up my self, and leave it as is, but that's just me.
The dial might be held on by dial feet, again, its hard to tell without seeing the watch in hand. Look for screws on the edge of the movement, if thats the case..

Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:43:42 pm by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 08:29:46 pm »

Lots of parts seem to be missing so am I right to assume that it wouldn't be worth fixing ?(I'd just hate to use parts of something that may still have life in it but my mechanic ability is limited)

I have to agree that this looks old, so I wouldn't dismantle it for parts. 

It doesn't appear to be missing that many parts, I would guess that part of the winding mechanism is missing (a ratchet do hickey, a couple of teeth from the winding gear and the plate for that part.  But that's all that I can see that's missing.

Sure you probably can't get them (and I wouldn't be capable of making them either) but I think it's worth keeping as is.  Clean it up a bit, and you'll have a nice piece of history.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
shadowhaint
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:23:45 pm »

Thanks to the gentlemen for the expert advice. Instead of going into a folk art project it will be preserved as is.
Have a great day.
shadowhaint
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: