The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 11:47:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 57923 times)
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #800 on: August 01, 2009, 06:41:45 am »

The Professor and "Bertie" returned from inspecting the gun construction site.

"It is going well," the Professor told the people in the cabin. "We might well be on our way home before too many more days have passed.

"Incidentally, we passed Brantley on deck just now. I gather he must have been talking -- or perhaps I should say listening -- to Mrs. Frederick. I do hope this doesn't foreshadow more complications."

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #801 on: August 01, 2009, 11:15:06 pm »

SOME UNLIKELY HEROES..........

T.E. Gunn, Mrs. Cross, M.W. Brantley, "Mr." Storm, and the Professor.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:17:16 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #802 on: August 02, 2009, 02:55:25 am »

Cool picture. Just posting to say that starting tomorrow, I won't have be able to get to the computer, and will be on vacation until the 6th. Feel free to move Evie along however, and I'll catch up when I get back.  Smiley

I apply my personality in a paste- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival

« Reply #803 on: August 02, 2009, 03:01:45 am »

(I am finally moved into my new place of residence, and will be able to be on line consistently.  can any one help me get caught up?  Sad Sorry to ask)

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #804 on: August 02, 2009, 05:20:27 am »

SIDEBAR:Kewl pic, Sgt. Major.  :)I'm going to have to remember to shave before I shoot myself again. Er...well, you know what I mean... Wink. We'll miss you, Miss Eveie, hurry back.

MW came in from the deck just then, still on the line with Aunt Sally.

"Whoops, you mean right now, here in the cabin? Well, of course it doesn't make any difference where I am, it's just it's not private..." no screaming or hostile noises came from the speaker to the ears of those straining to hear whilst pretending not to; all that could be heard from the device was a low woman's voice, almost...soft (!?) "Okay, then, All uv us in Yuma. 'Bye now, Honduras."

"Well, apparently we have Russia, the Slavic bloc, and parts of Papua New Guinea and India angry at our interference in interplanetary events, " MW said as he repostioned the speaker and closed and pocketed his ersatz cigarrette case/pocket device."Otherwise, everybody just wants pictures of us and the Beau Rosin, some with medals and recently-bestowed Knighthoods to go with it all. Sally says she's going to meet us where ever we are going to land. Specifically nebulous as usual, although I realize I have little room in which tio speak, myself," he said, nodding to the professor.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 05:40:48 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #805 on: August 02, 2009, 05:34:14 am »

heh...Just kinda how I've pictured Brantley all along, sort of rough-and-ready...for what it's worth, Brantley's is the best face, bar none, that I've yet managed to draw using Windows Paint, and bouncing it back and forth with Photoshop...I'm learnin'.....still prefer real pen & paper...but I don't have a scanner.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #806 on: August 02, 2009, 06:12:49 am »

(I am finally moved into my new place of residence, and will be able to be on line consistently.  can any one help me get caught up?  Sad Sorry to ask)
basically it amounts to a big debate over how to or whether to dispose of the martians, and the decision, to apparently bomb the Martian royal family and most of the planet to a cinder with a super bomb, and then a totally-unexpected (at least on my part) upset by an entirely unknown race of vastly-superior -- though much tinier in body size -- race of beings who are in fact the true rulers of Mars and for whom the royal family was just a cuckolded figurehead.

those same beings have overwhelmed the Royals and taken over Mars, and are now building the team a space gun to shoot them back to Earth. Brantley just got off of the phone with Aunt Sally, hea d of A.U.N.T. S.A.L.L.I.E. (Professor, did I call her "Fredericks," or is that your contribution? I can't remember, but I like it.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:33:13 pm by MWBailey » Logged
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #807 on: August 02, 2009, 07:12:43 am »

(I am finally moved into my new place of residence, and will be able to be on line consistently.  can any one help me get caught up?  Sad Sorry to ask)
basically it amiounts to a big debate over how to or whether to dispose of te martians, and the decision, to apparently bomb the martian royal family and most of the planet to a cinder with a super bomb, and then a totally-unexpected (at least on my part) upset by an entirely unknown race of vastly-superior -- though much tinier in body size -- rac eof beings who are in fact the true rulers of mars and for whom the royal family was just a cuckolded figurehead.

those same beings have overwhelmed the Royals and taken over Mars, and are now building the team a space gun to shoot them back to Earth. Brantley just got off of the phone with Aunt Sally, hea d of A.U.N.T. S.A.L.L.I.E. (Professor, did I call her "Fredericks," or is that your contribution? I can't remember, but I like it.)

Ah, Mrs. Frederick? I couldn't resist borrowing her from the same place I assumed you borrowed your communicator from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warehouse_13#Characters
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #808 on: August 02, 2009, 08:51:05 am »

"Medals and Kighthoods, you say?" She paused, chewing on her bottom lip fretfully. "Then it wouldn't do to show up with a Martian on board..."

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #809 on: August 02, 2009, 07:55:35 pm »

"Mrs. Cross, I assure you, I am not a martian,"  Brantley said, actually a bit hurt. "the organ transplants may have made me something other than completely human, but I am by no means a martian, ... and if you mean another member of our company, Sally did specifically say that she wanted the entire crew on hand, human or otherwise; I assumed she was referring to me, but She wasn't...was she, Mrs. Cross?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #810 on: August 03, 2009, 02:19:05 am »

basically it amiounts to a big debate over how to or whether to dispose of te martians, and the decision, to apparently bomb the martian royal family and most of the planet to a cinder with a super bomb, and then a totally-unexpected (at least on my part) upset by an entirely unknown race of vastly-superior -- though much tinier in body size -- rac eof beings who are in fact the true rulers of mars and for whom the royal family was just a cuckolded figurehead.

Ah, Mrs. Frederick? I couldn't resist borrowing her from the same place I assumed you borrowed your communicator from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warehouse_13#Characters

Oh, dear...I was afraid somebody else might have thought of that before I did. So much for originality. Same for "Aunt Sally"; from the very start I wanted Brantley to be from a shadowy organization that worked behind the usual customs enforcement scenes, much like the MIB's; the callsign for my group was to be the old PEMDAS mnemonic: "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally," although when starting out I had intended to use PEMDAS as the acronym for the agency. but whatever.

I must shamefacedly confess that I have no idea what Warehouse 13 is about, never having seen a single episode.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #811 on: August 03, 2009, 03:55:49 am »

"I'm sorry Brantley. Maybe I haven't been talking out loud like I thought. My mind's a bit jumbled, I'll confess... Perhaps I said it in the throne room... or on the other side of Mars..." her words trailed off, and she looked far away for a moment. But her attention snapped back to those on the boat, and she steeled herself. "Blunt's the way t'do it, I suppose. Yes, the Martian Royals are dead. But the hive mind isn't. And I'm still in it. And I'm the only in here one who's got any idea on how to function. I don't think I can teach em all how to be individuals. But, i think, if I can find even one who's a bit different, maybe I can make a new leader outta him, or at least make 'im into something capable of directing this mass of flesh. Aether knows I can't be controlling the Martians..."

She looked around, worried that the crew wouldn't take the news well. she squeezed Tommy's hand, nervous and hopeful and proud.
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #812 on: August 03, 2009, 04:14:24 am »

Oh, dear...I was afraid somebody else might have thought of that before I did. So much for originality. Same for "Aunt Sally"; from the very start I wanted Brantley to be from a shadowy organization that worked behind the usual customs enforcement scenes, much like the MIB's; the callsign for my group was to be the old PEMDAS mnemonic: "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally," although when starting out I had intended to use PEMDAS as the acronym for the agency. but whatever.

I must shamefacedly confess that I have no idea what Warehouse 13 is about, never having seen a single episode.

Oh, I misguessed!

Well, Mrs. Fredrick is the head of a shadowy organization that works behind the scenes, collecting, deactivating and storing various "artifacts" that cause people to do loony things when they come into contact with them (and usually under the influence of some sort of "trigger", such as a phrase or a voice). The agents communicate via a device called the "Farnsworth", invented by Philo of that ilk in 1929, right after he invented television. It's an audio-video communicator, slightly larger than an Altoids tin, and seems to have unlimited range ...

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #813 on: August 03, 2009, 07:39:02 am »

Oh, I misguessed!

Well, Mrs. Fredrick is the head of a shadowy organization that works behind the scenes, collecting, deactivating and storing various "artifacts" that cause people to do loony things when they come into contact with them (and usually under the influence of some sort of "trigger", such as a phrase or a voice). The agents communicate via a device called the "Farnsworth", invented by Philo of that ilk in 1929, right after he invented television. It's an audio-video communicator, slightly larger than an Altoids tin, and seems to have unlimited range ...

Hmmm... I like that idea, although obviously I haven't been using video; my basis was the, I think it was called the "Marconi radio," in that steamy, steampunky space opera Ursula K. Leguin wrote, called The Far Traveler. apparently there were other novels involving the novel's Captain Grimes, but I have yet to locate any.

Anywho, the 'Marconi radio' was supposedly able to twist and fold time and space, or maybe it was to take advantage of twists and folds already in place, to make it possible to send messages in instantaneous realtime that would have taken days or weeks or years to reach their destination over any other medium. I considered calling my parody of the device the "Mantovanii radio" but feared reprisals from his fans(j/k)(yes, I'm just barely old enough to know who that was).
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #814 on: August 03, 2009, 09:10:24 am »

Oh, I misguessed!

Hmmm... I like that idea, although obviously I haven't been using video; my basis was the, I think it was called the "Marconi radio," in that steamy, steampunky space opera Ursula K. Leguin wrote, called The Far Traveler. apparently there were other novels involving the novel's Captain Grimes, but I have yet to locate any.

Anywho, the 'Marconi radio' was supposedly able to twist and fold time and space, or maybe it was to take advantage of twists and folds already in place, to make it possible to send messages in instantaneous realtime that would have taken days or weeks or years to reach their destination over any other medium. I considered calling my parody of the device the "Mantovanii radio" but feared reprisals from his fans(j/k)(yes, I'm just barely old enough to know who that was).

I just dug up info on The Far Traveler, etc. Our local library system has two completely different books by that name, but no SF ... tried Le Guin, to no avail ... Googled and finally dtermined that the author was A Bertram Chandler and there were an awful lot of Grimes stories: http://www.bertramchandler.com/johngrimes.aspx I don't think I ever read any of the books as such, but very likely did read some when serialized in the magazines I used to buy regularly back in the 60s-70s - most of which I still have. The local library system has a tiny amount of Chandler, but fortunately I am a member of the MIT SF Society Library, and they seem to have most of the books. I only hope they are available for borrowing - many of their books are noncirculating, including many that I'd like to read, but can't really see myself reading on premises. I'll also check the local SF bookstore.

Ah, yes, Montovani and his Orchestra of Exquisite Boredom. How well I remember those days ...
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #815 on: August 03, 2009, 03:37:54 pm »

"Hey, babe...mebbe the little blue guys can help...they're telepathic, and if they got inta th' King's mind, they oughta be able ta 'talk' ta th' others...the Royals ain't dead...just kinda...sleepin' or somethin' right now. Worth a try, anyway." Tommy kisses her on the forehead, and just holds her close for a moment.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #816 on: August 04, 2009, 03:04:44 am »

"No.... they are dead. Trust me on this." Her smile didn't reach her eyes. "And, truthfully, I know the little blue buggers have been helpful so far, but I don't know that it would be wise to leave an entire race in their hands. They are helping becasue they want us gone, not because they like us. Sentiment can turn, and I don't want to give them access to bigger bodies to act with... not as powerful as they already are... I'd feel like a complete rube, havin' saved the earth just to doom it again."

She leaned against Tommy, speaking gently. "But, if we can teach one of them compassion and joy and individuality, then it is possible to create a relationship with Mars that will be both healthy and beneficial to both races... Brantley, perhaps you'd better alert Aunt Sally. If I can find one of the Martians capable of learning, he'll probably be coming home with us...."

And with that, she retreated into the hive mind, probing each body for the spark she was hoping for.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #817 on: August 05, 2009, 10:26:33 pm »

Sidebar: WhOoPs...I didnt mean to be gone for two or more days, folks, sorry about that. Maybe I ought to drop one of the other two (counts on fingers, yeah, its just...no, wait, there's that other in the vacant lot...) Three other RP's I'm in.

Yeesh, how did that happen... anyway, I'll try to follow better in future.

TYhe Offices of A.U.N.T. S.A.L.L.I.E. received one more call from Brantley, and those in teh cabin could hear, even given the thin air of the Red Planet, the sound of the dangerously-mercurial Sally Fredericks as Brantley explained the new development to her. After a while, though, the voice lost most of its audible decibels. a little while later, Brantley could be heard making "Kissy-Kissy"noises, and presently, he came back into the cabin. "Well, Miss Fredericks  sez..."

Brantley looked around the cabin's interior and noticed attentive faces, but most of them had a "hooded" look, as if they were trying to hide some kind of emotion; some appeared to be hiding scorn, the majority hid laughter, apparently, and a couple hid knowing looks. Then, he realized what it was... "Ooohhhh," he said, "you heard all of that, I guess." One or two heads nodded before they could catch themselves, and Brantley choked off a chuckle. apparently the mental/psionic grafts in his head worked after all. "Well, Miss Fredericks is not all guff and gusts and bad weather. Sometimes the sun comes out and she's quite lovely, and...well, you know."

"anyway, sje says that the press will be hand-picked and told beforehand that there may be a martian among us. She also said that she will make certain that everyone there represents the best in humanm nature and outlook, so as not tooffend teh "little fellow." i told her to please not call him that, because he might be able to hear her through me, and she became a bit...distraught... lovely Lady. Capital 'L,' even." He chuckled warmly. "But rather possessive....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 11:01:02 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #818 on: August 06, 2009, 02:35:15 am »

Ah, finally bakc. Good to see that I didn't miss too much  Wink

Evie suppressed her laughter.

"So the press wants to meet the "heroes" of Earth? Are we going to be expected to prissy up, and be nice to the story-hunters? I wasn't in  this for money or fame, and I doubt anyone else in this party was. Stories can also travel to places we don't want them to go."
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #819 on: August 06, 2009, 06:00:26 pm »

Tommy grunts.."Huh! Well, I fer one don't feel like much of a hero...I crashed a little airplane, sat on my ass on th' desert fer awhile, got carried ta th' capitol by a buncha bugs, and never even fired a shot. All the shots that were fired didn't amount ta much in the end...the little blue-green guys decided th' outcome." he looks seriously at Abiliegh. "If it's true that all th' Martian Royals are dead, I hope ya can find one of th' others who can 'take over'...all th' others are gonna fergit how ta breathe an' eat if ya don't...you're probably th' only one keepin' 'em alive now, babe." Tommy has been unusually quiet for awhile.
"Uncle has asked me ta come back ta Virginia with 'im, offered me a position as General Manager of The Iron Furnace...I'm gonna have ta think about it."
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #820 on: August 07, 2009, 04:40:52 am »

"You're a hero, Tommy." Her voice was a whisper behind a small inward smile. "And you're right. I am the one keepin'em breathin'. But, I think I've found my candidate..." She paused a moment, reaching to that body and telling it to come to her. "Now to figure out how we can get it home and keep it alive long enough to teach it. It might have been rumor, but I thought they couldn't survive in our air..."

She looked around, eyes settling on Ms. Storm. "Anything in that monster book of yours on the subject, dear?"
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #821 on: August 14, 2009, 05:26:10 pm »

(About time we got this show back on the road!)
The radio crackles to life, "Edinborough Rose to Beau Rosin...Thistlewaite here...over." Brantley takes the microphone and responds, "Beau Rosin...we are receiving, Baron...over." "Heh...hullo, Brantley. The Claddaugh Thistle was too badly shot up in the assault, so I've transferred command to the Rose...if you folks are ready, the gun tube is finished, and we are prepared to load the Beau Rosin for the return trip to Earth. You lot will go first, followed by myself, the Gurkhas and the Swiss Guard in the Rose, and then the other ship, Pride of Galax, with the remaining troops. Over. Best of luck. Thistlewaite out."
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #822 on: August 15, 2009, 06:35:36 am »

The Professor raised his mug in a toast. "Huzzah!" he shouted.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #823 on: August 15, 2009, 06:41:52 am »

"Well, here we go again," Brantley said, as they were sudenly picked up by millions of teh diminutive martians, and teh one whom Mrs. Cross had calle dto her came in through the slightly-open door to teh cabin and presented itself. "Well, hello, there," he said to the new Martian Leader, and fired off a perfect infantryman's salute.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #824 on: August 19, 2009, 03:16:01 am »

sidebar: I apologize for my sudden disappearance, everyone. I'm back, though, for the most part! I'll get up a post tonight or tomorrow, scouts honor Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: