The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 09:31:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 58613 times)
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer
United States United States

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #750 on: July 20, 2009, 03:08:08 am »

Evie laughs as the creatures engulf the throne room, and stares out her own faceplate at the mass. She watches them destroy the Royal King with glee, and her head is finally free from everything but the soft chittering of the new rulers of Mars. She smiles at them all , and looks to the humans in the room.

"See, we didn't have to blow anything up after all," she says. For the first time in a while, she feels happy. For the first time in her life, something actually turned out peacefully, and it filled her with absolute glee. Perhaps it was just the fluffy quality of the voices of the tiny blue creatures.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:11:00 am by Miss Cheshire Cat » Logged

I apply my personality in a paste- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #751 on: July 20, 2009, 04:00:33 am »

Suddenly, Brantley's head is free of every tendril that he had subconsciously kept at bay; like a man who was forced to take a bath by his fellows even though he himself did not feel dirty, his mind suddenly feels the cleanness of his various degrees of mindfulness as the taint that it and he had retained for so long that it and he had forgotten that it existed  --is suddenly removed.

Thank you...he thought to the tiny, almost-unbearably-cute mantoids, as he sat suddenly in the chair that they had apparently put under him for the purpose, letting go of the Beau Rosin's controls.

Sidebar: Hopefully this does not detract from teh storyline. As I stated elsewhere on BG, My head and my stomach are no longer fighting a mutual territorial war for dominance; unfortunately, my head is even more full of wool than usual...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:11:10 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #752 on: July 20, 2009, 05:24:33 pm »

Sidebar: Sorry all, I was away this weekend! And, I am leaving again tomorrow evening, for camping in the mountains of new mexico, and wont really be online until the following monday. I'll get as much posting is as I can between now and then.

And OPB, don't worry to much about formatting, that is something I can take care of in editing. My thought it to post this in "chapters" (which I'll be adding in). We can set it up as something weekly, or more often (though, I would advise against it until we have a reader base). What I would be more interesting in seeing is pages linked to the blog section for character bios and perhaps author and fan artwork (i'd be willing to draw up charachters once I'm out of the sling, unless we can find a more talented artist), but as for the blog itself, thats the easy part.

And I do think we should allow comments, but, if we don't, we should set up a twitter/myspace/livejournal/facebook or something along those lines to let people communicate with us. Building that connection with interested parties helps get MORE interested parties.

And, soon, I shall further the story! There will be a chapter end very soon, as the story has progressed tremendously over the weekend!

Also, we need to discuss if we should pause the main story while i am away, and perhaps let the rest of you do a mini story for the time, much like Girl Genius's "Radio Theater Break"....

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #753 on: July 20, 2009, 06:09:32 pm »

Sidebar- Have fun!
Do you like where it went with the little critters? I hope so!

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #754 on: July 20, 2009, 06:21:07 pm »

Sidebar- Have fun!
Do you like where it went with the little critters? I hope so!

Absolutely! I thought it was great!

Just curious what we're going to do with the bomb Wink
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #755 on: July 20, 2009, 08:06:50 pm »

Kind of curious myself as to what will happen to the bomb. Personally, I can draw up Evie, I'm  quite bored this summer so that might be fun. And as for communication, I vote Myspace or Facebook. Those are just my preferences though.

Actually as a thought, drawing up the characters may be some nice practice. I've been in art classes about half my life, so I might say that's qualified.  Smiley Also I'm going into an animation program in college with intentions of character design for either games or comics. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 08:14:24 pm by Miss Cheshire Cat » Logged
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #756 on: July 20, 2009, 08:18:00 pm »

"Hm!" said the Professor. "Now what are we going to do with that bomb? We certainly don't want to take it back to Earth, but how can we dispose of it safely? Baron? I trust your people on Earth have been informed of the changed situation here? It would be a pity if that device were set off by accident."

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #757 on: July 20, 2009, 09:58:59 pm »

"I have a confession to make...," the Baron smiles. "There is no Super-Bomb..there never was. The bomb that is within the HobGoblin is a large, but thoroughly conventional blockbuster. The original plan was to bomb the Palace, then storm it with the Marines...think about it. If we had been able to destroy the Royals at a stroke, then why bring three companies of fighting men? After the plan was formulated to use the threat of destroying Mars, then the idea of a Super-Bomb became quite useful...therefore I let all of you continue to believe that it was real. We will hold it in stasis, otherwise it will appear here two weeks ago, relative time, but coming out of stasis will not cause it to explode...so we would have effectively delivered it to the Martians, since it is now in their Palace...had it been left in the crater, it would have made no difference. Sorry...I wanted you all to believe it, in case the Martians were able to probe your minds, or.." he looks significantly at Brantley, then at Brandsson, " in case they were already within your minds. It was a bluff. The premise is real enough...the incident with my own internal atomic pile was true enough...in fact," the Baron pulls a pocket Timepiece from his tunic, "That was my contingency plan, should everything fall to pieces..to get myself within the Palace, then go back two weeks and phase myself back in, destroying the Royals. Once we are back on Earth, I'll take the blockbuster out of phase at the Iron Furnace, and send a technician back two weeks to receive it and put it back in stock."
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #758 on: July 20, 2009, 10:47:28 pm »

Abiliegh stirred, feeling drained, but whole. She heard the baron's words, and she smiled. Upon opening her eyes to see Tommy above her, her smile broadened.

"I take it we succeeded. Lets go home."
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #759 on: July 20, 2009, 10:51:49 pm »

Sidebar: Evie, give it a whirl, i'd love to see what you come up with! Let people know if you want photos Wink
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #760 on: July 21, 2009, 12:06:02 am »

Sidebar: Ok, I shall try it. PM me if you have specific things to include, or ideas. A general direction would be nice  Wink

Edit: I worked on Evie for a while, and almost have that drawing done. Halfway through, I realised I was forgetting parts of MY OWN storyline. So I'm adding that if anyone does want something drawn, I would appreciate a bio, any identifying features (scars  Roll Eyes, hair colors, eye colors, general build, and it continues). Anything that is important to the character, add it, Pictures of specific weapons would work as well. A general picture is even better, and if I'm going to work on anything else, I'll try to work off what has already been posted. I'm going to try to post that drawing tomorrow so there's a general idea of whether or not anyone else wants me to attempt their Salon counterpart. Just PM me, and I shall try to have it done in a timely manner  Grin

Evie looked around the throne room.

"Home is nice," she looked down, and remembered her own world. This universe was nice though, and she had risked her life to save it. She could comfortably call it home now.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 05:04:46 am by Miss Cheshire Cat » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #761 on: July 21, 2009, 09:35:49 am »

Sidebar: how are we going home? I kinda lost track of that along the way...

Brantley started the Diesel engine of the Beau Rosin, lettingit idle as he brought the electric thrusting motors online, an dthen, left the ship and joined the group discussiong the results of their labor, and said, "Which option shall we take for getting home again? If it can be done aboard the Beau Rosin, then I suggest we all board her and get about it."

He thought for a moment, and said, "Yeesh, Sally's gonna take my head and restuff it for not calling her in on this..." He looked oddly at Miss Evie then, and said, "such a resemblance." He then shrugged and said, with his usual abrubtness, "who 'm I kidding, you're too young to be Sally, aren't you?" smiled at her, winked, and turned and re-boarded The Beau Rosin, whistling an early rendition of the swing tune Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally...
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #762 on: July 21, 2009, 03:15:19 pm »

"chikka chak..tikka tikka...WE HELP....WE BUILD..tik tik"One of the litlle mantoids sits on the Baron's shoulder for a few moments, they speak, and then the majority of them take wing, leaving the Palace. A few thousand remain, guarding the Royals, though they appear to be thoroughly cowed, still dazed and confused. A mile away on the desert, the swarm of billions forms up what looks for all the world like a gargantuan tornado, and start to dig, each grabbing a rock, a pebble, a scoop of dust and carrying it up the center of the cloud and out. Within a half an hour, what had taken the Earthmen of the Iron Furnace ten years to build is reproduced on Mars by the little insectoids...the bore of the Return Gun is done. Meanwhile, millions of others have fanned out, returning with carbon and nitrate particles, mixing them, and depositing them in the bottom of the pit. The firing charge is soon in place. Still others bring sheets and scraps of metal, and, consulting Thistlewaite, have rapidly constructed a functional forge. Tens of thousands more gather at the air intake for the furnace, and inhaling the thin Martian atmosphere of CO2 and exhaling pure oxygen, then guiding it with their wings, a white hot fire is shortly prepared, and the construction of "eggs" for the return journey begins. "Remarkable!" exclaims Thistlewaite. "A perfect harmony of purpose."
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #763 on: July 21, 2009, 03:33:02 pm »

Evie looked at Brantley as he stared at her.

"I can assure you that it's quite improbable that we've ever met," she said, and forced a smile. In all reality, she really wasn't sure of it herself. Her attention was drawn by the creatures and her eyes widened.

"Well, that's efficient," she thought aloud. Eager to get back to Earth, she climbed aboard the Beau Rosin after Brantley, and waited to be launched home.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #764 on: July 21, 2009, 04:12:01 pm »

Tommy and Mrs. Cross climb aboard the Beau Rosin, and enter the sealed cabin. Tommy undoes the clasps of their helmets, and they remove them.."Ahhh..." says Tommy.."Air.." The first thing he does is kiss Abiliegh, a lingering kiss, more with a deep emotion than with passion, glad they're both still alive. The next thing he does is to get them each a tumbler of whiskey. Sitting down on the edge of the bunk, he lights two Sullivan-Powells, and hands her one. He takes a greedy drag on the cigarette, and blows a smoke ring.
"Ooooo, that's good!" Clinking the edge of his glass against hers, he grins his lopsided grin, and says, echoing the first night they met, "Here's lookin' at you, kid!" His arm around her, they sit and drink, and smoke their cigarettes, contemplating the strange events that have brought them to this point.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #765 on: July 21, 2009, 07:25:37 pm »

She smoked the nail gratefully, and smiled at Tommy. They'd saved earth, for the moment.

Her mind was still vast, and she could still sense the Martians around her. The emperor had let her go, before he had died. No one else seemed to realize that he had let them all go. And their hive mind... it was still there.

It was not hostile, but it was waiting.

She closed her eyes and concentrated. And she saw everything. From every angle. She knew everything the martians had ever witnessed, had ever learned.

And of all these minds converged with her own, only she had the power of choice.

Her eyes fluttered open, and she looked up into Tommy's quirky smile, and told him that she controlled that martians.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #766 on: July 21, 2009, 10:45:57 pm »

~*End of Chapter 2*~

Sidebar- Okay, since I'm about to head out for a week, I'm going to end the chapter and call a break.

What I want to give you in the meantime is the previously mentioned "Radio Theater" break.

Feel free to do whatever you'd like here. If it doesn't wrap up in the week, we can use it for the next time any of us are gone for a time Cheesy

The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #767 on: July 21, 2009, 10:54:14 pm »

We find our heroes in Madrid, having flown the Beau Rosin to Europe to cool down after their latest caper. All seems well in this bustling city, but we know better than that! What awaits our heroes in the streets of the picturesque Spanish capitol? Find out now in...

The Heroes of Earth
in
Mishap in Madrid!
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #768 on: July 22, 2009, 11:08:06 pm »

See how this blog setup strikes you, and let me know if there are any problems:

http://retrofuturist.org/serendipity/

Thanks!
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #769 on: July 22, 2009, 11:48:28 pm »

Other than that my Latin is more than a bit rusty?
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #770 on: July 23, 2009, 12:26:54 am »

Grin Lorem ipsum &c. &c. is what designers sometimes refer to as "body text", essentially a tool to help visualize the layout of text without being distracted by content.

And my latin is probably at least as rusty as yours. With gaping holes and sticking joints.

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #771 on: July 23, 2009, 04:47:24 am »

And oddly enough, the practice of replacing actual body-text with ersatz Latin is known as "Greeking."

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival

« Reply #772 on: July 23, 2009, 05:37:53 am »

I am alive!  I must say sorry for dropping off the face of the earth.  if Ms storm has been removed I would understand.  I would just like to let you all know it isn't because I wasn't enjoying this, but because I've been busy getting ready to move to Seattle, and ready for comic con  (which I am at as we speak)  so if there is a way I can rejoin, I would love it, but if not I understand and need to catch up.

Much Love
Ms Fireheart Storm.

Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #773 on: July 23, 2009, 04:01:43 pm »

No worries, luv! Grin Ms. Storm has been right alongside us through it all, one presumes, and the main story is on 'hiatus' at the moment, so just catch up and jump back in whenever you wish...
The trip to Madrid doesn't seem to have gotten off the ground, as yet...Personally, I know next to nothing about Spain, so my characters are going to be touristas at best... Wink
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #774 on: July 23, 2009, 08:44:36 pm »

Agreed, Thistlewaite. I am mostly clueless with regard to Spain, except for some stuff about the Spanish Civil War, and that's political, I think even now. So the Professor plans to keep shtum until the story gets underway. Or doesn't  Wink.

Meanwhile, OPB has been tweaking the blog a bit. You may notice I switched from WordPress to Serendipity. It is somewhat less flexible, but it is infinitely faster to set up and make simple changes. Now if I could just figure out how to move the dateline down to the bottom with the posting time, I'd be pretty satisfied. At any rate, take another look and see if you have any suggestions, OK?

http://retrofuturist.org/serendipity/

(Note that I came up with the bright (ha, ha) idea of using the lightbulb message icon to flag a purely sidebar type post.)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: