The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 08:51:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 58596 times)
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #700 on: July 14, 2009, 07:10:45 pm »

We are well into "a lot going on at once" territory and one person's casual comment can ruin another's well-planned climax.
As long as some measure of order is in place, I think we are all capbable of rolling with it.

- Maximilian
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #701 on: July 14, 2009, 07:13:30 pm »

Sidebar: All or most of the preceding sounds great to me; I would like to add, however, that some of us might not be able to be consistently "on" all of the time. I 'm able to be online several times a day, but not constantly, and some days, not at all. Once school starts up again, i will have to work and will be gone for nearly the entire weekday (they don't encourage subs to use the internet), and will thus be unable to write anything until around 4:30 PM central time, if someone else is not using this machine. I might be able to go the library and use one of their laptops, but that's sort of a hit-or-miss proposition.

So, perhaps an allowance for people whose schedule is not always the same from day to day might be a good Idea.

Thats the idea behind setting a "30 minute max" timeframe per post. I will also be in school soon, and i've got a lot of travel ahead of me in the near future, so my schedule will be erratic, to say the least.  If each post is only moving the story ahead by 30 minutes at the absolute max (with the exception of chapter beginings, which I will handle) that should, in theory let people who are less frequent patrons keep up and not get swept under the rug.

We are well into "a lot going on at once" territory and one person's casual comment can ruin another's well-planned climax.
As long as some measure of order is in place, I think we are all capbable of rolling with it.

Yes, I can say I've had to toss aside personal plot-line to keep up with the story at many a point, and I know i'm not the only one. And I'm certain I'm guilty of being the cause of the same, hence wanting some structure Smiley

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #702 on: July 14, 2009, 08:56:11 pm »

I know I've gone with the flow more times than not, only really adding information on my own timeline, as I have not wanted to step on anyone's toes. I think I may have already, but I feel the group effort has a unique effect. Sure, maybe everyone is dancing around someone or another, but if we constantly had five or six people trying to add their own storyline, it may get a little bogged down. The fast moving pace has worked for the most part, and it does get moving a little fast, but at times when it feels a little slow in the first place.

I get on pretty regularly now, but it's summer break. I should be driving, so that may take some of my time, and in about a month, I start school. I have to work and go to school this year, and I'll be a senior, which will have me VERY busy. I think if we have a timeline, it'll get very slow, or people will miss out. If I get too bogged down with real life in a month, I may slide out of the story, but as far as I've seen, it's been a relatively good system.

I apply my personality in a paste- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #703 on: July 14, 2009, 09:13:16 pm »

Maybe we need a GM Cheesy
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #704 on: July 14, 2009, 09:20:23 pm »

Maybe we need a GM Cheesy

I don't really want that much power, all I want to do is control pacing, not the story Smiley
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #705 on: July 14, 2009, 09:48:05 pm »

One edit for continuity, please...first line of the post where Brantley "takes the mike from Tommy"...Tommy's well away at that point. Delete that single line, and the rest works fine.
I might also add that the "thirty minute rule" might apply to action, and things like some travel time (as when Tommy & co. drove to the Waterfront in the Buick) might be excepted...otherwise, you'd have thirty minutes used up in a single line, to wit; "Tommy & Co. drive to the Waterfront District..the ride takes thirty minutes."I also don't want to double post...sometimes it's hard to resist, as when the story goes 24 hours without a contribution, one starts to think that the other writers have lost interest. Of course, other people actually have lives off-line. The most exciting thing I've done in the last 48 hours was mow the grass. Roll Eyes

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #706 on: July 14, 2009, 10:14:39 pm »

I can get behind the "travel time" amendement, within reason.

Proposed "rules":
-All RP posts will be limited to furthering the game 30 minutes of game time, with a few exceptions. Events such as minimal vehicular travel (single short trips, not to go over a few hours), sleeping, mealtimes, and the like may be excused, but please be mindful of other charaters trying to interact during these times. If people are still discussing/doing something, let them finish before moving the story forward.
-Chapters will be used to add a little suspense to the story and to move the timeline of the story forward in greater increments. Abiliegh will be in charge of setting chapter ends, and will post in the begining of each chapter a summary of what happened during the time skipped.
-Try to avoid using other's characters over much in your posts without their permission (or obvious indication of future course of action).
-Have fun!

Please, tell me what you think!
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #707 on: July 14, 2009, 10:57:36 pm »

I think it sounds good. Adds a little more structure with more time for storylines and conversations without getting rid of the group effort. That's what has interested me the most, the flowing story line that  has managed to form without too much planning from a group of people. It's been fun reading and participating.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #708 on: July 14, 2009, 11:11:05 pm »

Works for me.
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #709 on: July 14, 2009, 11:26:11 pm »

A few things (if I can remember them ...):

First, that's an awfully long chapter; chapters are usually much shorter. I think it should be easy enough in most cases to determine chapter breaks in the existing story, so I suggest that this be "Part One" or "Book One", which is how longer novels tend to be divided.

Next, seems to me a transition interlude to get the folks home might be better than jumping into the next Book/Part immediately.

Schedule-wise: I don't have one, which should be fairly obvious if you look at the times of my posts. I'm a hopeless insomniac, and largely but by no means exclusively nocturnal. That said, I have several reasons for attempting to keep relatively "normal" hours, through next weekend, anyhow.

I figure it might be a nice idea, once the story has been minimally edited into a more usual narrative form, for all of us to look for continuity problems (I detest those when I am reading a book) and such-like, and point them out to each other; perhaps in a few cases some segments might be re-ordered, but mostly inconsistencies should be ironed out, preferably by the original authors of the segments involved. It shouldn't really be that big a deal to do this.

Ah! I will volunteer space on retrofuturist.org to host the polished version, which probably would be most easily done in the form of a blog. I can install and tweak the software pretty much any time.

Hmmm, I'm sure there were other points, but I actually need to do some RL things now, so will be back in several hours. Good job, everyone!

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #710 on: July 14, 2009, 11:46:26 pm »

A few things (if I can remember them ...):

First, that's an awfully long chapter; chapters are usually much shorter. I think it should be easy enough in most cases to determine chapter breaks in the existing story, so I suggest that this be "Part One" or "Book One", which is how longer novels tend to be divided.

I'll re-number chapters once i get more work done on the polished version I started a while back. "Chapter 1" isn't a set in stone number, I just figured it was a tad less assinine than picking a random number! And we certainly aren't at a point right now to break into the end of a book or a part. Though, when further along in polishing, I will post an outline of the breakdown for everything prior to this point.

Next, seems to me a transition interlude to get the folks home might be better than jumping into the next Book/Part immediately.

I wasn't stopping the story permanently. We *all* want to see how the martian attack works out. I just saw the suspense value of stopping the section at Tommy having delivered the bomb, and the rest of the group stepping into the martian palace. We'll pick up from there, I promise. This wasn't a time-forwarding break, it was a "stop so we can discuss stuff!" break Smiley

I figure it might be a nice idea, once the story has been minimally edited into a more usual narrative form, for all of us to look for continuity problems (I detest those when I am reading a book) and such-like, and point them out to each other; perhaps in a few cases some segments might be re-ordered, but mostly inconsistencies should be ironed out, preferably by the original authors of the segments involved. It shouldn't really be that big a deal to do this.

Ah! I will volunteer space on retrofuturist.org to host the polished version, which probably would be most easily done in the form of a blog. I can install and tweak the software pretty much any time.

I would happily support a blog. I haven't encountered a terrible ammount of inconsistancies so far, that couldn't be solved by moving the ocasional word, and most continuity errors are solved by sliding a post up or down a slot or two. When I get to a good stopping point (I'm thinking that the first part will end with the destruction of Lippy's warehouse, part 1 or with the rescue of Mrs Cross) I will post the polished version, likely as a goodgle doc, for all to peruse and eidt Smiley
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:48:18 pm by The Abiliegh » Logged
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #711 on: July 15, 2009, 01:05:51 am »

Sounds fine.

It just seemed like an rather abrupt stop when the action hadn't yet been resolved. Now I get it.

Later I will look at blog software for retrofuturist.org and possibly install some for tweaking. Right now, RL calls!
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

« Reply #712 on: July 15, 2009, 02:29:16 am »

Putting it into a clean book form would be rather exciting. I've absolutely loved how this whole story turned out, and believe others would too. I'm fine with cleaning up anything I've done (as I did just pop in, almost quite literally) and can't wait to see a cleaned up version. As for tonight, I must get off the computer, as I've had headaches the last couple nights from too much computer. I'll pick up tomorrow if the story picks up again tonight.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #713 on: July 15, 2009, 03:07:18 am »

I think we should write it into a screenplay for TV...it's better than most of the stuff on Sci-Fi (now known as SyFy).... Grin
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #714 on: July 15, 2009, 04:51:00 am »

Here's another vote for some sort of formalized limit on the rate at which the story progresses. I've been hoping to reintroduce the Nondescript Gentleman, but have managed to miss several logical insertion points. (This is not in any way a complaint. It's just that I'm a perfectionist with an overdeveloped sense of the dramatic, so NG's arrival absolutely has to be just right...  Embarrassed )

Actually, I'm tempted to do it right now, except that I have to go to bed — I have to be at work early for a teleconference with a chap in Mumbai before he goes home for the night.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #715 on: July 15, 2009, 05:11:34 am »

Actually, according to the parameters already established, traveling between planets via a Time device has been ruled impossible,(gravitometric planetary influence) so about the only place NG could be would be back at the Extended Steam Salon, keeping Clark company, and waiting for our heroes to return. Sorry. Unless you had another idea about moving him physically to Mars, or unless he's Gallifreyan..which is the one established exception to the rule.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #716 on: July 15, 2009, 05:43:00 am »

Everything sounds to me as if it will work.(in other words, its all fine with me).

Tommy, sorry, I'll go edit that line as soon as I get through with this post, or at least try to; the connection's a little dodgy on this end tonight.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #717 on: July 15, 2009, 05:58:23 am »

Actually, according to the parameters already established, traveling between planets via a Time device has been ruled impossible,(gravitometric planetary influence) so about the only place NG could be would be back at the Extended Steam Salon, keeping Clark company, and waiting for our heroes to return. Sorry. Unless you had another idea about moving him physically to Mars, or unless he's Gallifreyan..which is the one established exception to the rule.

Without giving too much away, I will say that NG is not, strictly speaking, a time traveler. I will also mention that he has already appeared once aboard the Beau Rosin (admittedly while still on Earth), and that, unless I misremember, there has been at least one other encounter which suggests NG's presence at Mars would not be impossible.

NG will not make his appearance tonight, however, as there are one or two points on which I need to consult and, as I said, I really should have been in bed an hour ago — an oversight I shall be correcting immediately.

If, in the mean time, the story has moved on from this point, I am certain another insertion point will present itself eventually.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #718 on: July 15, 2009, 03:07:37 pm »

His presence would be welcome...just making sure it happens in a way which doesn't fly in the face of the story-line already in place. I can think of several ways it could happen, so go for it...I'm going to wait for Abiliegh to give us the go-ahead, at which point the door is open, and the more innovative and interesting, the better. Grin Glad he's still involved!
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #719 on: July 15, 2009, 03:49:22 pm »

Okay, after an evening of technical difficulties, I am once again able to view this board while logged in! Woohoo! I'm going to tidy up the rules and put them into the first post of the thread, and then I shall write the start of the next chapter, from which point we'll be all systems go Smiley

And Von Corax, welcome back Cheesy
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #720 on: July 15, 2009, 04:22:57 pm »

sidebar: also, I'm going to start these off much like the radio shows of the era. If we do these blog style, releasing a chapter a week or some such, it will be a great sylistic choice!

***~Chapter "2"~***
When we last left our heroes, they were in a pretty tight spot. T. E. Gunn had just planted the bomb in time-loop. Brantley and crew had just blown in the gates of the Martian palace and secured their entrance to the throne room. Tensions are high, danger is everywhere! Will our heroes be successful in saving Earth from the third War ofthe Worlds?
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #721 on: July 15, 2009, 05:30:39 pm »

The Baron activates the radio in his helmet. "Mr. Brantley, if you would be so good as to train the firepower of the Beau Rosin towards the Palace doors...or, more exactly, towards the area where the doors used to be. We are in the Palace, true, but we have not yet won the day...having driven through the center of their defenses, we have effectively surrounded ourselves with thousands of very agitated Martians. I believe we can assume that Tommy has successfully placed the Super-Bomb, but the Martians, as yet, do not know that. It is being held in stasis by a constant radio signal...and since it is in stasis two weeks in our subjective past, if we fail, the first we'll know of it is when we abruptly find ourselves drifting in a still cooling asteroid field, composed of the shattered remnants of this planet. Since the planet is still solid, all we can say is 'so far, so good,' but the next few minutes are critical. The time lapse of the radio signal between Earth and Mars is currently about fourteen minutes, one way. We may therefore conclude that we have approximately twenty-eight minutes, even if we were to die right now, before Willoughby and Dr. Einstein, on Earth, know of it, and kill the signal. Willoughby is monitoring my signal, through receivers placed in Virginia, London, Bombay, and Honolulu. The good news is this...as far as the Earth is concerned, we have already won. The fail-safe is in place, it is, as they say, a 'done deal.' The bad news is that our own personal survival is still very much open to question.
We must..must...make the Martian 'King' understand that the survival of himself and his planet is at stake, and we have precious little time in which to communicate this to him. Nevertheless, regardless of what may happen to us, we have saved the Earth, so I say to all of you, "Well done!"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:33:40 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #722 on: July 15, 2009, 06:39:16 pm »

Mrs Cross takes heart in the speech, feeling a bit redeemed and possibly even heroic. The moment was fleeting, however, for when her mind drifted, the psionic pressure around her increased. She moved forward, always forward, each step towards the Martian Royals slow, deliberate and majestic.

Gunfire erupted around her, noises of every type imaginable filling the palace as both the martians and the humans worked to destroy the contingent before them.

And still she walked, eyes on the Martian Emperor.
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #723 on: July 15, 2009, 06:44:32 pm »

sidebar: also, I'm going to start these off much like the radio shows of the era. If we do these blog style, releasing a chapter a week or some such, it will be a great sylistic choice!

***~Chapter "2"~***
When we last left our heroes, they were in a pretty tight spot. T. E. Gunn had just planted the bomb in time-loop. Brantley and crew had just blown in the gates of the Martian palace and secured their entrance to the throne room. Tensions are high, danger is everywhere! Will our heroes be successful in saving Earth from the third War ofthe Worlds?

As a long-time OTR (Old-Time Radio) enthusiast, I approve of this.

In other developments, I have installed WordPress on the retrofuturist.org site, and am now in the process of customizing it. This promises to take a while, but hopefully will be worth it.
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #724 on: July 15, 2009, 06:47:05 pm »

***~Chapter "2"~***

As a long-time OTR (Old-Time Radio) enthusiast, I approve of this.

In other developments, I have installed WordPress on the retrofuturist.org site, and am now in the process of customizing it. This promises to take a while, but hopefully will be worth it.

Get with me via email (miss.nelle@gmail.com) and let me know what I can do to help. My thoughts, so far, are to break things up into weekly or twice-weekly "broadcasts" and I'd be more than willing to help with whatever formatting and uploading I can Cheesy

And, I'm registering for the forum there now

to which I got this:
The user The Abi with Email miss.nelle@gmail.com (IP 167.88.178.70) is a Spam, please contact forum administrator.

help!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:52:03 pm by The Abiliegh » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: