The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 04:28:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 57903 times)
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #675 on: July 11, 2009, 09:47:55 pm »

The radio crackles to life..."Claddaugh Thistle to Beau Rosin...Thistlewaite here..Over." MW Brantley responds.."Brantley here, Baron...odd as it seems, we've got new intelligence on the situation...First, Tommy wants me to ask if you are wearing your old Horse Marines jacket over your pressure suit...Over."
The radio crackles.."I am...why?..Over." Just like the comic book. Brantley explains about the comic books, and the alternate plan. Thistlewaite responds.."As much as I'd like to wipe them out...it would be morally reprehensible...if this can be made to work, it is a better solution. I am not quite the monster, myself, that Captain Brandsson probably thinks I am..and, there may yet be things we can learn from those creatures. There are five days left until we reach Mars...you and Tommy, and the Professor and ...mmm...'Bertie'...will have your work cut out for you. I had prepared for the eventuality that the Super-Bomb might have to be separated from your ship before you reached the drop zone...you will find it has been outfitted with wings, and is a flyable small aircraft. What you will have to do is dismantle enough of the Time circuits you have on board, and rebuild them into the cockpit of the bomb/craft, which I have codenamed 'The Hobgoblin,' such that the Bomb and craft can be taken out of phase. Additionally, you will have to construct a usable radio control signal receiver. Cannibalize what you must...never fear, Mr. Brantley, if we survive this endeavour, your ship will be fully restored in any manner you wish. As soon as the last shell separates from the Beau Rosin, Tommy will disengage from your hull, and fly the Hobgoblin to these co-ordinates.." he rattle off a set of numbers, which MW faithfully copies..."where he will find an appropriate caldera..these were already mapped pursuant to possibly using them as return guns. The rest of you will join in our diversionary attack on the capitol. It will be most helpful if you have someone aboard with strong psychic abilities..this whole thing will depend on being able to impress upon the Martian Royals that we hold the power of life and death over them, like the sword of Damocles, and Martian is damnably difficult to speak....Over."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:51:48 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #676 on: July 12, 2009, 04:37:00 am »

Roger that, Claddaugh Thistle, we probably have the psychic end of things covered; there's an old pocket device of Pulcifer's in the trunk, so no problem with the outphasing... there's spare circuitry for my pocket device here in the cabinet beside the tailgun (I looked to be sure not ten minutes ago, I try to keep my repair/replacement circuits within a three-generation redundancy), so it looks as if there will be no problem with the modifications, over...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #677 on: July 13, 2009, 05:52:54 am »

Abiliegh listened, staying quiet, gauging the reactions of everyone on board.

Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #678 on: July 13, 2009, 07:36:21 am »

The Baron is still giving Brantley instructions..."On board the Beau Rosin, you will find an emergency transmitter, part of which is an antenna consisting of a very fine wire on a reel, several hundred feet long. Originally, it was meant to be carried aloft by a small rocket..dismantle that, and mount the wire reel inside the Hobgoblin. The craft is equipped with an ejection seat, attach the free end of the antenna to that.
In order to control the Time circuit, we shall have to have a receiving antenna which is outside the influence of the time loop. Tommy, are you there?...Over." Tommy takes the microphone. "Here, Uncle...Over." "Good...now, lad, you're going to have to fly the Hobgoblin...I know you're not fond of flying, but you do have some experience flying small fighters. You will have to fly directly over the opening of the lava tube, then do an inside loop, and dive directly down towards the caldera. Just before you enter it, pull the handle of the ejection seat. Have Brantley attach the activator to the Time circuit to that same D-ring.
When you eject, you will leave the craft, trailing the antenna wire, the Time circuit will activate, and the Hobgoblin will dive to the bottom of the caldera. Being out of phase, it will not be damaged. As long as the device continues to receive the coded signal, it will remain out of phase. The antenna, attached to your seat, will remain outside...you will descend by parachute onto the outer slope. Since you will be several hundred miles from the rest of us, just stay where you are. If all else goes according to plan, your friends will come and pick you up shortly, before the air in your pressure suit fails. Ideally, your friends should be able to travel back an hour or two in time, and pick you up within minutes of your landing. Any questions?...Over."
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #679 on: July 13, 2009, 04:03:35 pm »

"What if something goes wrong?" Evie twisted her hands. "What if it doesn't go exactly as planned? That could be really dangerous, not only for him, but all of us. If that doesn't go in the right place, with the right loop, we don't have a negotiating tool, and we're sitting right there in the lion's den. How are we supposed to convince them it exists in the first place?"

I apply my personality in a paste- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #680 on: July 13, 2009, 04:47:58 pm »

Thistlewaite's voice over the receiver is grim and matter-of-fact. "The possibility for failure is of course always present...should 'something go wrong,' undoubtedly we shall all perish. The control signal for the phase equipment of the Super-bomb is already being broadcast from The Iron Furnace..that part of the plan, at least, is infallible. Should we fail to prevail, the signal will be stopped...it functions, basically, as a 'Dead-man switch.' The Time circuit is to be set to transport the Bomb two weeks into the past from the time it is activated, and hold it there in stasis. Theoretically, if we fail, then we shall all witness the utter destruction of the Red Planet, from Earth, a week before we leave for this mission. If we fail, we shall then exist only in an alternate time-line, and all this will never have happened. Actually, the fact that, for us, Mars has not already been destroyed bodes well...it presupposes that our mission is a success. Unfortunately, even the eminent Dr. Einstein cannot accurately produce an algorithm for predicting this..the permutations pertaining to time travel are simply too complex, and subject to Heisenberg's principle."

The remainder of the journey is spent in preparation. MW, Tommy, the Professor, and 'Bertie' complete the necessary modifications to the Hobgoblin, slung beneath the Beau Rosin in a cradle. Finally, the insertion into the Martian atmosphere is at hand. The 'eggs' peel away, functioning perfectly, and as they emerge into the thin upper atmosphere of the Red Planet, Brantley activates the small but powerful motors spaced around the perimeter of the hull, and releases the Hobgoblin. The small craft, mostly a flying bomb, has oversized wings and multiple control surfaces which allow it to maneuver well in the thin atmosphere. A very nervous Tommy is at the controls, uncomfortably aware that he is seated on the most powerful bomb ever developed. He thumbs the switch which fires the main rocket, and in a flash, dives down towards the planet. The first human assault upon Mars has begun.

The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #681 on: July 13, 2009, 05:00:01 pm »

She hated that she was being forced to let Tommy go off on his own. Saying goodbye was difficult, at best, and she made certain to tell him she loved him, and kiss him forcefully before he blasted away from them. She managed to hold her tears back, but it was an obvious attempt.

Forcing composure, once the hobgoblin was truly out of her line of sight, she turned to face the group. "Now, what is it we gotta do to make sure we can get back ta Tommy. He will not be left out there. I will not allow us to fail."

sidebar: way to rush things! Tongue
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #682 on: July 13, 2009, 05:36:05 pm »

Sidebar: Hope it didn't spoil anything...felt like we were getting bogged down in detail.  Wink
Plenty opportunity for adventure, now, as our intrepid crew begins the actual push to the martian throne room! Don't forget, Mrs. Cross's psychic powers are critical to convincing the Martians that Earth now holds the upper hand! Enjoy!  Cheesy
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #683 on: July 13, 2009, 05:49:17 pm »

sidebar: Nothing wrong with the detail! However, leaving me to deal with the martian convincing plays *very* well into something i wanted to do ::evil grin::
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #684 on: July 13, 2009, 11:13:28 pm »

Sidebar*engages in nervous handwashing...*
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #685 on: July 13, 2009, 11:22:53 pm »

sidebar: I guess it's up to me to make this move forward, though, honestly, i've got little to no idea of whats going on (the detail keeps me on track, going so fast looses me!). But, here we go...

She begins pacing the deck as the Beau Rosin turns towards the martian palace, an air of autority faling over her. "We've gotta convince the Martians that we hold their life in our hands. Apparently, that's my job." She paused a moment, contemplating that. "I can do it, I've got no choice. What that leaves is needin' to know what they rest of you are gonna do t'make this believable. We know we aren't bluffing, but THEY have to believe it. So, each of you, tell me your plan or an idea."

She looked at each of them expectantly, expecting them to sound off.
Miss Cheshire Cat
Officer

http://public4.tektek.org/img/av/0909/d06/2144/c7f

« Reply #686 on: July 13, 2009, 11:30:17 pm »

Evie looked towards the ground, then looked up. "I don't know how we're supposed to make them believe us. I was hoping someone else would have that idea. Maybe the fact that we're in the throne room, past the guards and pointing guns in their faces will be enough."

She shuffled her feet uncomfortably. "Perhaps they'll find it for themselves and know we mean business."
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #687 on: July 13, 2009, 11:33:22 pm »

Evie looked towards the ground, then looked up. "I don't know how we're supposed to make them believe us. I was hoping someone else would have that idea. Maybe the fact that we're in the throne room, past the guards and pointing guns in their faces will be enough."

She shuffled her feet uncomfortably. "Perhaps they'll find it for themselves and know we mean business."

"It's designed not to be found, love." She sighed. "And I don't know how t'make em believe us either. I'm willing t'get in their heads and try that way, but i don't think the standard pomp and rigamaroll will give us any clout. I don't know what to expect from these things except a hive mind..."
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #688 on: July 13, 2009, 11:48:51 pm »

The radio crackles..."Claddaugh Thistle to Beau Rosin...Thistlewaite here...we're on the ground, all made it through safely. I've got a full company of Royal Marines on my right flank, a full company of U.S. Marines on my left, and I'll be driving right up the middle with a hand-picked company of Gurkhas and Swiss Guards...we've got the best of the best here, and we're going in in a flying wedge...Mr. Brantley, I'll need you and your 'crew' to give us high cover air support...we're going through. The bombardment has taken some of the fight out of the blighters...we shall force the doors of the Palace...bring the Beau Rosin in as close as possible...I've an idea how to convince these things that we mean business...just get 'em to listen long enough to agree to a demonstration out on the desert, and impress into the mind of the King a vision of the planet Mars breaking up into itty-bitty pieces!. I've brought a spare duplicate of my 'power pack' along, and I'm hoping you still have one of your 'pocket devices'....Over."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #689 on: July 14, 2009, 03:50:44 pm »

"Baron, this is Brantley. As I see it, its the Beau Rosin's job to be the air support and the tank squadron, so that's how I'm gonna play it. just keep back so the deck guns or the gatling don't kill any of ours, and I'll bring the Beau Rosin in so close she knocks the front door out the back wall. Brantley out."

Brantley proceeded to fire the deck guns and the gatling, blasting gaping holes in the masonry of the palace, and scattering martians and Martian parts  around like sawdust under a chainsaw. There was a bad moment, when he was lowering the ship down to ground level to rush the door, and a sculpture of some kind caught the edge of the Scow and almost tipped it back over front, but Brantley managed to turn it into a power dive and swoop that literally did knock the doors of the palace to the back of the throne room, narrowly missing the Emperor, and knocking over his entire bodyguard, who had foolishly tried to form a pitched line of battle before the throne.

Brantley brought  the Beau Rosin up just a bit higher than head height, and proceeded to turn in a circle, blasting away with both the deck guns and the gatling such that the formerly-opulent hall was reduced to a crumbling, flaming, shattered ruin, as the Baron and his marines rushed in and made the Emperor and what was left of his entourage prisoners of war...

Brantley made sure his pocket device was where it ought to be, in it's hardened case in his jacket pocket., pulled the Mauser, left the Beau Rosin in the Professor's capable hands, and  srtode out the cabin door and on deck, shooting any stray martians who tried to launch an ill-advised counterattack, including on ewho had outflanked and gotten behiond teh baron and his marines, and was drawing a bead on the Baron with his heat ray -- BLAM! KAPPOW! the heat gun exploded when he shot it and the Martian, removing the threat to the baron.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:53:42 am by MWBailey » Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #690 on: July 14, 2009, 04:20:17 pm »

It was go time. Now or never.

As the Beau Rosin made it's landing in the middle ofthe martian palace, Abiliegh felt an amazing preasure on her mind, and that voice, which had been only a whisper in space, was now echoing as a maelstrom, trying to force her to open up.

She stood regally against it, teeth clenched, doing everything in her power to show no weakness.

And she took the first step off the ship, having to trust those around her to keep the path clear.

Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #691 on: July 14, 2009, 04:59:59 pm »

Meanwhile, Tommy, at the controls of the Hobgoblin, streaks across the Martian wastelands, flying as close to the ground as he dares, following the pip on the screen on the control panel. He arrives at the coordinates, and guides the little flying bomb up the slope of a large caldera. Crossing the mouth, he thinks, "Well, here goes..," swallows hard, and hauls straight back on the yoke. Climbing straight up, he kills the drive, and the craft loops inverted at the top, and falls back towards the caldera. The opening is large, Tommy lines up the little flyer on the center, and grasps the D-ring of the ejection seat. He pulls, and blasts out sideways, parallel to the surface of Mars.It feels as though he has been kicked in the seat of the pants by a gargantuan mule. As he exits, he glimpses the shimmering sphere of the Time circuits activating, then disappearing down into the crater. The belts holding him to the seat release, and it falls away behind him. He has a bad moment as he fumbles for the handle of the emergency chute strapped to his chest, but finds it, pulls it, and grunts as the over-sized parachute pops out and grabs the thin Martian 'air.' His landing is a little awkward, he stumbles a bit and turns his left ankle, rolls in a cloud of red dust, and comes to a stop. "Ow." he says, grimacing. He rubs the ankle, then stands, experimentally. "OK..sore, but not sprained..., guess I've done my job...sure hope the others can pull off th' rest. Hate ta think this red desert will be th' last thing I see...." Sitting back down, he thinks to himself that he sure would like a smoke. "May not get another nail, either...can't smoke with this helmet on...well, one way or another, I guess I'll know which way it went pretty soon."
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #692 on: July 14, 2009, 05:14:12 pm »

Sidebar: Alright, awesome story so far, everyone. I'm playing dictator for a bit here and intitiating a story pause while we figure something out.

So far as I can tell, I'm not the only person getting left behind by the story line at times (me personally, not my character). I've got a solution, but it's going to need everyone's cooperation. My goal here is to get not only a neat story out there, but to let people actually *play* charaters from a situation like this, and it seems that sometimes, things move ahead before people who were interacting have got a chance to finish what they were doing

So, from here forward, we're gopingto test something. First, we're going to be working in a "chapter method." This will allow for glossing over parts that would otherwise be broing, so we can keep the great cinematic feel we've got going. I will post when the end of each chapter is. Think about how a good book reads, and don't overload a chapter by rusdhing ahead!

However, I'd also like to implement a realworld timeframe to work within, in an effort to give everyone a chance to post before those of us who are online more consistently bowl them over. I'm open to suggestions as to how long 24 hours in the realworld would represent in the story. So far, 24hrs=1hr has been suggested to me.

So, please, give me a little input. I'm also going to go ahead and call this point the...

***~END OF CHAPTER 1~***
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #693 on: July 14, 2009, 05:39:23 pm »

Sidebar- Sounds fine to me...I only "rushed" us ahead to Mars, as I figured that the rest of the trip there enclosed in the egg would be uneventful. I also reckoned that if anyone had anything else they wanted to put there it would be easy enough to interject it along the lines of "During the remainder of the journey, Tommy had had plenty of time to reflect on the events that had brought him to this point. He thought of his time with his Uncle, his new relationship with Abiliegh Cross...etc. etc...." I realize that I'm probably on-line more often than some others, particularly on the week-ends - in RL, I don't have much of one Undecided...apologies if I got impatient.-Jim
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #694 on: July 14, 2009, 05:42:31 pm »

sidebar: I've had my moemnts of doing it to, but I've realized how many people seem to have tapered off, and I don't want to make people feel like they can't keep up with us. And I'd rather not make people have to reverse a forward timeline to get a rushed completion of [insert something] in before continuing.

What would you suggest as a suitable timeframe for 24 hours realtime to equal?
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #695 on: July 14, 2009, 06:01:24 pm »

Hard to tie a literary time line to real time...if we used the formula 24 hrs real time= 1 hour story time, it would have taken us months in real time to reach Mars. Alternatively, sometimes it might take us 2 days of real time to relate story events which cover only a period of a few minutes in the story. Add to that the complication that in this story we can jump backwards and forwards in time... Shocked Complicated. Additionally, it is not uncommon to use media res as a literary device, though we haven't done that much as of yet. So far, I think we've all done a pretty remarkable job of having things mesh..if you go back to the beginning, and read it all, it scans pretty well, and almost everything has been tied in without glaring omissions or contradictions. Probably easier to write a story solo, but this is so much more interesting. Should we adopt a collective pseudonym? For instance "Kenneth Robeson" was credited with writing the Doc Savage series, when in fact no such person existed, and the stories were written by various authors, sometimes in collaboration. In any case, it's pretty much your 'baby,' Abi, and I for one would like to take this opportunity to thank you for making my life much more interesting. This story has inspired me to make two prop firearms in RL, take pictures, do artwork...none of which would have happened without your original idea of The Extended Steam Salon. So *bows, tips topper,* Thank You!-Jim
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 06:05:36 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #696 on: July 14, 2009, 06:13:32 pm »

Hard to tie a literary time line to real time...if we used the formula 24 hrs real time= 1 hour story time, it would have taken us months in real time to reach Mars. Alternatively, sometimes it might take us 2 days of real time to relate story events which cover only a period of a few minutes in the story. Add to that the complication that in this story we can jump backwards and forwards in time... Shocked Complicated. Additionally, it is not uncommon to use media res as a literary device, though we haven't done that much as of yet. So far, I think we've all done a pretty remarkable job of having things mesh..if you go back to the beginning, and read it all, it scans pretty well, and almost everything has been tied in without glaring omissions or contradictions. Probably easier to write a story solo, but this is so much more interesting. Should we adopt a collective pseudonym? For instance "Kenneth Robeson" was credited with writing the Doc Savage series, when in fact no such person existed, and the stories were written by various authors, sometimes in collaboration. In any case, it's pretty much your 'baby,' Abi, and I for one would like to take this opportunity to thank you for making my life much more interesting. This story has inspired me to make two prop firearms in RL, take pictures, do artwork...none of which would have happened without your original idea of The Extended Steam Salon. So *bows, tips topper,* Thank You!-Jim

Thats a fair point. Perhaps it would be easier to make a limitation to no more than 30 minutes of gametime can be covered in any single post?

And you are very welcome, I know this has been a wonder for me as well, thanks to every one involved.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #697 on: July 14, 2009, 06:34:41 pm »

Perhaps, as we move forward, we could "take turns" driving the story, each author providing an outline for a chapter, such as "Chapter Two, in which our Intrepid Heroes return to Earth, and begin the Arduous Job of Hunting Down the Collaborators such as the Infamous Lizard." or, each might provide a chapter based on their particular area of expertise, such that Fireheart Storm might provide an outline something along the lines of "Chapter Four, in which our Heroes journey to Transylvania, and begin the Arduous Job of Hunting the Monsters which continue to Plague the Earth,"....I don't know, I'm perfectly happy to sit back and have my character or characters react rather than act...I think we're at the point where the Martian Adventure can be brought to a close, and something else presented. I'd like to hear what our co-writers think before we move on, so I'll shut up now. Thanks again to everyone for a corking jaunt thus far!
The Abiliegh
Zeppelin Admiral

Wench with a Wrench

The_Abi
« Reply #698 on: July 14, 2009, 06:48:03 pm »

I, for one, really like the constant colaboration, and I don't want *too* much to change from what we've already got going on, I just want to make sure we can keep the flow on a somewhat even pace. I think that it may be easier to to put a cap on time that can be covered by a single person at a time rather than per real-world time increment, becasue it is definately easier to maintain on an idividual level, and allows for some things to move slower, as needed. Using the chapter method is basically a clean and easy way to a) build suspense and b) gloss over the eneventful times.

Though, I think, perhaps, once we get this story done (with the martians, Lippy and the Spirit) we might want to look into doing some novella work, with the characters, letting each person write a short story involveing everyone, and then posting them for all to enjoy!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #699 on: July 14, 2009, 07:05:05 pm »

Sidebar: All or most of the preceding sounds great to me; I would like to add, however, that some of us might not be able to be consistently "on" all of the time. I 'm able to be online several times a day, but not constantly, and some days, not at all. Once school starts up again, i will have to work and will be gone for nearly the entire weekday (they don't encourage subs to use the internet), and will thus be unable to write anything until around 4:30 PM central time, if someone else is not using this machine. I might be able to go the library and use one of their laptops, but that's sort of a hit-or-miss proposition.

So, perhaps an allowance for people whose schedule is not always the same from day to day might be a good Idea.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:08:23 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: