The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 06:57:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extended Steam Salon  (Read 58528 times)
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #200 on: June 11, 2009, 10:35:52 pm »

The Professor saw a faraway look in Brantley's eye.

"As I said earlier, I may be able to offer some modest assistance. What do you have in mind? But, wait, who is this 'Honey' who was just in here?" He gestured reassuringly. "I can at least inform you that she had no evil intentions," he said. "Nor do I, as I think you already know. So, who, and then what, agreed?"

He sipped his drink and gave his full attention to Brantley.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:15:27 pm by OldProfessorBear » Logged

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2009, 01:12:01 am »

"Agreed, as well as I can," MW drawled. As for who , she was a paramour, or perhaps the mistress of Mr. Lippschitz, the fellow with the chronojammer who keeps messing things up. Also a major underworld figure, from what I've been able to gather. I think Honey might be the missing "Lenore," but I'm not certain by any means.

"As for the What... tell Tommy and the girls, and Mrs. Cross, that  had to go and make sure Miss Honey survived; also tell them, that if it all worked out like it was supposed to, then I no longer exist in this century, but I'll be back in a few hours." The sound of a heavy diesel engine sounded from outside in front, and the blimp could be seen, sidling up next to the building; since the chronojumper on board had been activated at the same time as the engine, the blimp was able to stay in phase and pace with the inside of the salon. "thats my ride, "said MW. He walked to the door, and turned around, said, remember, professor, If it all works out, I'll no longer exist, but I'll be back a few hours after the rest of 'em are..." and he ran out and hopped into the scow/gondola and the odd craft lumberd into the evening sky...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:40:17 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2009, 02:05:39 am »

*near the Waterfront*
"One more thing...." Tommy reaches into the trunk once more, and pulls out folded brown canvas tarpaulin. He closes the trunk, then extracts a key from his waistcoat pocket and locks the trunk. He does not lock the car doors...might just need to leave quickly. With Jimmy Chu's assistance, he unfolds the tarp and spreads it over the Buick. Reaching down, he gathers a handful of dirt and loose straw, and scatters it over the tarped car. Suddenly, it looks as though the auto may have been sitting there for years. Satisfied, he nods. "Let's go." Jimmy nods back, suddenly all business. He peers around the corner of the brick building, glances back, and cradling the "Tommy-gun" close to his wiry body, he moves quickly in a half crouch to the corner of the next building.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:14:29 am by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
Athena
« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2009, 02:20:27 am »

Moving quickly and quietly, following Tommy's example, Pam falls in behind everyone else, looking around for anything suspicious as she goes.
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival

« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2009, 02:27:19 am »

Ms Storm followed Jimmy, waiting for his signal.  She moved across the open space. Running crouched in a way of some one that's had practice, she scanned the area, then looked up to the roof tops, scanning the roof lines for snipers  Seeing none she turned her attion back to the streets.

Casting a glance over her shoulder at Tommy she turned her head to look ahead and to the left of Jimmy.  Something wasn't right, this area should have at least a few stray animals around.  Or birds, there was a conspicuous lack of birds.  It worried her but nothing she could do but stay alert, waiting for trouble.  She glanced up again at the roof tops.  nope, still nothing.

OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2009, 02:29:36 am »

*back at Cocktails*

"Well, that was about one percent clearer than mud," muttered the Professor, to no one. "Hm, looks like it's do-it-yourself time here," and he went behind the bar to construct another triple G-and-T, heavy on the G, easy on the T.

The Professor took himself and a fresh bowl of munchies to the corner table farthest from the door, from which he could keep an eye on the entire establishment while covering his back.

And he sat, sipped, munched and pondered. With the emphasis on "pondered".

Eventually he pulled a notebook and pen from his pockets and started making notes.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:16:45 pm by OldProfessorBear » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2009, 04:10:01 am »

Auguring along at about 500 feet speed about 53 miles per hour, according to the crude homemade pitot guage, the blimp narrowly missing rooftop clotheslines, power poles, power lines, extra-tall stovepipes and chimneys, occasionally distrurbing a flock of pigeons roosting up for the night, and once, when first heading into the warehouse/industrial district, nearly colliding with a gigantic brick chimney, which MW swerved around and missed by a hair's breadth, the misleadingly odd-and-ungainly-looking craft made it's wandering way along, following the track that Honey left behind.

How did he know she went this way? The odd strand of hair snagged on a brick, the track in a spot of mud of an exquisitely-small shoe -- and of course, the simple fact that there was only one reasonable route for the young woman to follow if she were going to the Lippschittz warehouse compound.

HE felt bad about having to leave the professor behind; but there was no choice. If he had taken him along, he would have had to bring both the professor and Honey all the way back to the salon before he and the blimp faded from the twentieth century. They had to fade; without Pulcifer's chronojumper machine being invented, MW and his two partners from the Rough Riders(both dead now, god rest their souls) would have been stranded in the 1890s after having stopped Mr Welles and his friend from doing more than sharing information to use in writing a "scientific romance." -- The 1890s was where he and the blimp would disappear to, if he managed to grab miss Honey and set her down on the road outside the warehouse before Tommy and the girls destroyed Lippy's 'jammer.

He had to set her down, and at least keep her from getting back aboard, or failing that, keep the blimp from gaining any altitude -- or she would fall to her death when the blimp faded away. things that would happen in her future after that, seemingly insignificant things, would not happen if she fell and were killed, and not only would his friends and acquaintances perish, but the entire city, perhaps even the world, would see a turn-of-the-century apocalypse (Tommy's freighter-tossing bomb being part of that reality) that might very well eventually exterminate humanity.

It was going to be a fine line to cut to...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:58:45 am by MWBailey » Logged
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2009, 05:15:19 am »

Soon, one at a time, with Jimmy in the lead, the four are reunited at the corner of the warehouse next to Warehouse 14. They have crossed the intervening half-mile without incident, and, so far as they know, without being observed. So far, so good. Crouching low, Tommy pulls a small mirror from his coat pocket, and slowly extends it just past the corner, about six inches from the ground. In the space between the two buildings, there is quite a bit of activity. It's a little difficult to get a clear idea of what's going on by watching in a small mirror, but any other method of observation increases the risk factor exponentially. What he does see are men in matching uniforms, at least ten of them, as well as some of the Lizard's goon squad, dressed in their usual pin-striped, double breasted suits...and, not surprisingly, carrying heaters. The uniforms Tommy doesn't recognize. "Not Army," he thinks, "At least not our Army..... so maybe Lipschitz is some kind of traitor on top of everything else." Tommy smiles grimly. "Well, boyo...ya wanted somethin' ta pin on th' Lizard...careful what ya wish for..." He sees something else in the mirror. A gleaming black 16 cylinder Cadillac, brand new. "There's only one car like that in this burg," thinks Tommy,"...the Mayor's."
Men are coming and going through two big roll-back doors about midway down the side of the building, but from this angle, there's no way to see inside. One thing is bothering Tommy...from Brantley's description of a chrono-jammer, he expected to see a big airship moored here..but there's no airship around."Not the kind of thing ya could hide.." muses Tommy. The warehouse is big, but not big enough to hide an airship inside. He turns to his three companions, and whispers, "Somehow, we've got ta get a look at what's goin' on in that warehouse...but there's too many guys with too many guns between us and th' doors." Withdrawing the mirror, Tommy rolls back to his left, and leans against the side of the building. "What we need," he thinks, "is a distraction...but a distraction that won't make Lippy suspicious." Just then, a smoking, grumbling, ungainly looking blimp appears,with what appears to be a boat of some sort slung underneath... still about a mile away, but closing. One of Lippy's henchman spots it, and, calling to the others, they head off in that direction at a brisk trot. "That'll do.." says Tommy.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:25:14 am by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2009, 05:49:57 am »

MW knew that the glass-topped architectural travesty below him had to be the warehouse he wa s looking for, because of three things:
1. He could see Honey, for some reason being held by the arms by two ugly-looking military guards in a uniform he had seen only once before, and then they had spoken a harsh dialect of German, or maybe it was Russian. "Of course! Lippy's got Kafka connections," he thought...

2. He could see what had to be Lippy's machine, or the thing it was housed in: a small balloon-type airship, really not much more than 2 or 3 big weather balloons in a net, supporting what looked for all the world like the gutted body of a Wurlizter steam-driven, self-contained Marine Band Player, the guts taken out and replaced with all sorts of clockwork and electro-magnetic servos.

3. T.E. and the girls, and one young-looking male kid with a 'chopper fitted with a drum magazine, looking up at him, then at the guards, who then also looked up at him, broke into a run toward him, and started shooting -- at him. Then TE and Co. running toward teh doors of teh warehouse...

Well, you always said you wanted to be a hero, numbnut, he said to himself, and punched the button that made the Electric Gatling pop out of the deck, and the deck guns to poke out of their gunports, and then yanked the emergency descent lever, screamed out a rebel yell...

--And the Beau Rosin  plunged straight through the glass roof, and crunched right between where Honey and her guards were standing, and everybody else. MW pulled the Mauser and shot each guard through the forehead, swiped his arm at Honey toward the blimp, and then yanked the Gatling around, and hosed the soldiers down with  electrically-driven gatling fire. He glanced hurriedly behind him, and seeing that honey was aboard, he yanked on the Emergency Loft lever -- and the craft shot up into the sky like a bottle rocket.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:04:53 am by MWBailey » Logged
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2009, 05:55:10 am »

Ms storm motioned for the mirror.  It was a trick she had learned well, "Let me take a look," When T.E. handed her the mirror she looked around the corner.  The uniforms...  Russain?  Maybe.  she wasn't sure, she sat back, and asked "any way to get on the roofs without being seen?  Most people don't look up, but we would still need a distracti-  she cut herself off, listening.  Did one of the guards come closer?  Or was that yelling and gunshots she heard int he distance?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #210 on: June 12, 2009, 06:34:36 am »

MW Gunned the Diesel as hard as he dared (it had been getting argumentative lately)and brought the blimp over to the far side, or what he hoped was the far side, of the road that ran beside the Lippschitz's Warehouses, now about a quarter-mile away, and again pulle dteh emergency-descent lever, butthis time letting it go again. he then switched to the slow-descent lever , and also handled the wheel, all teh while thanking the heavens that he had decided to keep the outside helm facility as well as teh one inside the scow's single cabin. he cut the diesel down to almost nil, then disengaged the propeller while he let the diesel idle, and finally set the blimp down in the grass beside the road.

He felt warmth around his middle, and realized that the poor young woman, probably terrified out of her wits, was clinging to him for all she was worth. He bent down, disengaged her hands from his waist, held them together in his for a few moments, and said, "Honey?" she nodded, and he said, "Honey, I have to set you off of the Blimp now. In a few minutes, T.E. and his people are gonna bust up Lippy's machine. When they do that, and when Mr Clark does what he has to do (he suddenly felt that Clark must have succeeded, because he felt substantially less of himself than he had a few moments before) Me and this ship will just fade away, like a ghost or a bad dream. you understand, Miss Honey? so you have to get off , now, so you dont get carried off, to who knows where. You still have lots to do, darlin.' Go back to Mrs. Cross's, Honey, she and her people 'll take care of you, and get you where you need to be."

Somehow, either he convinced her to get off of the blimp, or she decided on her own... either way, she was finally standing on the grass, waving goodbye, as he rose into the air... and began to turn transparent.  by the time he was high enough to fly away, he could see the moon and stars through the gasbag, and he could just barely hear the winds of time catching up with him...
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #211 on: June 12, 2009, 08:02:00 am »

An absolute melee erupts in and around Warehouse 14. "Damned crazy Texan!" yells Tommy. "No use tryin' to be quiet about it, now! Let's go! Plan B...Shoot anything that moves!" Tommy and the small group pound across the pavement and in through the big doors, just in time to see the ungainly blimp rising rapidly back up through the shattered skylight. Utter chaos reigns around them. Tommy spots what's got to be Lippy's machine..it looks like a circus calliope suspended below three big weather balloons. "Jimmy!" he yells. Jimmy Chu swivels towards him, a huge grin on his handsome face. Tommy waves his arm towards the machine. "Chop it up, Jimmy! Make sure ya kill it!" Jimmy Chu gives him a thumbs up, then goes to work with the machine-gun, blowing huge chunks out of the complicated contraption. "Make sure ya get all th' glass vials!"
Tommy doesn't know why, but since it's the last thing MW told them, he figures it must be important.
Suddenly, a voice roars behind him, "GUNN!!" Tommy whirls around...it's Lawrence L. Lipschitz himself, and he's pointing a big revolver right at T.E. "You ignorant baboon!"snarls Lippy, "Do you have any idea what you've ruined?" Lippy fires the revolver, and Tommy feels a blow like a hammer on his chest, driving him backwards. As he falls, he sees the girls, giving a good account of themselves, shooting uniformed men and gangsters right and left. As he hits the floor, he rolls to his right, as Lippy fires again, and misses. Tommy raises his big .45..it seems like his arm weighs a ton..and pops off two quick shots, both of which catch the enraged Lipschitz high on the forehead, taking off most of the back of his head on their way out. "Well," thinks Tommy, "I wanted ta nail him..I'd a rather done it legal, but done is done." He can barely breathe, and it feels like his chest is on fire. "Let's get out a here, kids!" he hollers, and the effort costs him. They hear him though, somehow, and with Jimmy Chu on one side, and Ms. Storm on the other, between them they scoop up the big detective and head for the doors. True to what he told her, Pam brings up the rear, still firing, covering them all. Somehow, they all make it outside, and back around the corner of the adjoining warehouse. The remnants of the soldiers, if that's what they are, and the late Mr.Lizard's men seem to lose interest in them as Police sirens are heard in the distance, rapidly getting closer. They scatter. Jimmy props Tommy against the wall. "Where are you hit, Tommy?" he asks, breathless. "Chest," gasps T.E. Pam and Storm are still covering the corner, but all the gunfire has stopped. "Anybody else catch a slug?" Remarkably, all three answer in the negative.
"There's no blood, Tommy," says Jimmy. His chest is feeling a little better, and his breath is coming back. He opens his suit coat, feels around where he was hit...and brings out his wallet. Flipping it open, even he has to laugh, although it hurts. Jimmy is grinning like an idiot. Flattened and firmly embedded in his P.I. badge is a big chunk of lead. "Somebody's coming," says Storm. Tommy gets shakily to his feet, and looks around the corner. It's Hizzoner the Mayor, and he's hopping mad. "Damn it, I should have known you had something to do with this, Gunn! Lipschitz was going to make me a rich man! I'll see to it that you and this whole bunch spend the rest of your lives in jail!" Tommy sighs, and looks at his feet. "Damn it all, Gunn, you look at me when I'm talking to you! I'm the Mayor!" Tommy's big automatic is still in his right hand, and as he looks back up, he says, "Well, I didn't vote fer ya!" With that, he brings the big gun up, and shoots the Mayor squarely between the eyes. The sirens are getting closer, and he states flatly, "Back ta th' Buick, kids. We gotta get outta here. Case closed."
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:17:00 am by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #212 on: June 12, 2009, 08:17:08 am »

*meanwhile, back at Cocktails*

The Professor puts away his notebook, slips behind the bar, and rustles up some lunch. And a pot of Mrs. Cross's excellent Ethiopian coffee.

If his figuring was correct, someone should be showing up just about ... now.

The door opened, and a young woman stumbled in.
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #213 on: June 12, 2009, 08:43:35 am »

Ms Storm doesn't hesitate when he yells about Plan B, muttering "See? Always comes down to this anyway" and runs across the pavement, griping the gun tightly.  she levels her rifle, aiming at anything not them, which is anything not right at her side.  She hears T.E. yelling to Jimmy about the machine, but she's already put that to her back.  She fires the rifle taking down one of the soldiers.  she quickly reloads, repeating over and over until she's out of rifle bullets.  She drops the rifle as Lippy fires on T.E.  She sees him falling out of the corner of her eye.  Then two shots from T.E.  Lippy falls as if falling through muck, slowly.

Everything is slow in the firefight, everything but her hands.  Shoot six times, reload, repeat.

"Let's get out a here, kids!" T.E.'s voice splits the fog in her mind and she holsters her revolver and grabs T.E.'s legs without having to communicate to Jimmy.  They just know what to do. Pam is a strong force at their back, the constant bark of her rifle a comfort to Ms Storm.  

After they get T.E. around the corner and set him down, Jimmy asks before she can "Where are you hit, Tommy?" She sucks in a large breath and holds it when he answers chest.  No, that's not fair...  She forces her mind off of it, drawing her revolver , walking to the corner to help Pam cover, thoug there's no one there.  

"Anybody else catch a slug?" T.E. asks and Ms Storm replies automatically "No sir," she doesn't look over at him narrowing her eyes as a figure lumbers, there was not other word for it, towards them.  "Somebody's coming" she said, holding her revolver tightly in her hands.  her heart is in her head as the Mayor and T.E. exchange words.

Then T.E. shoots him.

Ms Storm can't say she's sorry.  She holsters her revolver, going to the body of one of the fallen soldiers and takes his knife, planting it in between the Mayors eyes, giving it a few good twists for measure. "Let them be blamed for this," she jumps up, those sirens where not a friendly sign.  

"Back ta th' Buick, kids. We gotta get outta here. Case closed." T.E. says.  Ms Storm nods and starts to walk, her hand still on her revolver.

It was good to have done something.
Athena
« Reply #214 on: June 12, 2009, 04:11:38 pm »

At the shout of Plan B, Pam looks up and catches the two on the roof. First in the kneecap, then in the head. She turns and shoots two more men who have their aim set on Tommy and Ms. Storm. Then she feels numb in her right leg...and pain. She looks down, seeing that she's been nicked in her right thigh. Now she's angry. She begins shooting at anything and everything....and when she comes out of the daze, she sees Tommy and the Mayor. Then she sees the mayor fall......"Christ."

She limps her way up to Tommy and Ms. Storm, holding her leg. It hurts, but she's felt worse. She's trying to see where he's hit, then she hears the word chest, and her spirit sinks.

All she can think is that all of them have to get out and quick. She pulls the keys from Tommy's jacket.
"Get in, I'll drive. Get in now!" She sees more soldiers coming, gets in the Buick and slams it in reverse. Pain shoots up her leg, she grits her teeth, and she floors it.
Athena
« Reply #215 on: June 12, 2009, 04:21:19 pm »

Going 100 down the highway is nothing to her. She looks in the rearview at the following cars. "Damn."
Luckily enough, she sees a car ahead that is very similar to this one. She swerves around it, playing a game of cups and balls. To her suprise, the ruse worked. The morons are following the other car.

She pulls off the road, rips off part of her dress and ties it around her thigh. "Everyone alright?" She looks back at the gasping Tommy and Ms. Storm trying to address his wound. "It's time you all knew the truth about me since we're all in this together."

"My real name is Athena Hoven. I'm a hired gun. Actually, I have nothing to do with this, but I was waiting in the bar for Nick, my fellow adventurer." A sad smile goes across her face. "I guess he never made it in. But, the country girl act was not a ruse. The innocent girl was."

She pulls the buick into the nearest lane slowly, and begins to drive. "I'm really about 26, but I can pull 19 if I dye my hair and look the part. I was hired to go east to fight in a rebellion, but I guess that'll never happen. I'm knee deep in this with y'all.....and I plan to finish it out. The rest of my gear is hidden at my place. As well as some other clothes. It's hard to fight in a dress." She grins. "I have ammunition as well as knives and explosives. Mind making a pit stop?" She looks in the back to see how the others have reacted.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:47:08 pm by Athena » Logged
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #216 on: June 12, 2009, 04:48:57 pm »

Without any further need for subterfuge, the group hotfoots it back to the Buick. Jimmy Chu rips the tarp off, and bundles it up, throwing it into the back seat and piling in behind it. Tommy grunts as he slides in beside Pam, who's already behind the wheel. "Couple o' cracked ribs, at least," he thinks, as he throws the switches from 'Stand-by' to 'Run.' The big flywheel spins up quickly, and Pam throws in the clutch, and the big car leaps out onto the road. The cops are coming from the east, she  turns west, into the Waterfront District. She's pretty good, loses anything behind them, then pulls over. Tommy sees her leg is bleeding. "I thought ya told me ya weren't hit!" he says, concerned. "Just a graze , really," Pam answers, "Are you okay?" Realizing that she never saw his badge and wallet, he takes it out and shows her the flattened slug. Pam laughs weakly.She explains a little about her background, and asks if they can stop by her place. Tommy nods, tells her he's fine to take the wheel, now, and as she bandages her leg with a piece of her dress, he puts the big car back in gear and onto the road again. He takes them right down along the docks. It's night now, the moon is up, and without turning on the headlights, he pushes the big machine for all its worth. There's no activity dockside at this time of night..(Tommy thinks, "Night came on kind of sudden...mebbe something ta do with time snappin' back ta where it belongs.")..and the big car hurtles along the dockside road at 120 miles an hour. One mile, two miles...Tommy eases back on the throttle, brings the car down to a reasonable speed, and turns left, heading back towards Chinatown. "Jimmy," says the big P.I., best ya don't say too much about this to yer Dad..he'd kill me." Jimmy Chu grins,"I'll just tell him we had a really good workout, Uncle Tommy." Tommy smiles, and reaching into his coat pocket, he pulls out the deck of Camels, gives one to Jimmy, and thumbs the Zippo and lights it, then lights one for himself. Dropping Jimmy off in front of Hao Bao Chu's, the remaining trio roll through the quiet streets, Pam directs them to her place, she's in and out pretty quick, then they're back on the road, a few minutes later pulling up beside the neon sign that says Cocktails.Pushing in through the door, Tommy sees the old gent sitting at the back table, talking to Honey. "Man...I need a drink!" Pulling a bottle off the shelf...he has no idea how to operate the machine... he pours five fingers in a water glass, and drains it in a gulp. 'Whew..that's better."
His chest hurts, he's got a bullet hole in his best suit, and he can't remember when he's been this tired..but he's alive. "Pure dumb luck," he thinks. Settling heavily on a bar stool, he pulls the bottle over and refills the water glass. Lighting a Camel, he inhales, then, out of habit, blows another perfect smoke ring. As it drifts through the nearly still air, he raises the glass, and says, "A toast..to dumb luck, old fools, and crazy kids."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:58:59 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
Athena
« Reply #217 on: June 12, 2009, 04:51:48 pm »

Limping in with the others, she goes behind the bar and pours a drink. With one swift motion, she pulls her hair back tight. She unwraps the makeshift bandage. "Ow."

"Glad to see you made it back Mrs. Honey. "

She takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. She takes a long swig of her drink and winces as she feels her insides burn. "Smooth that. So, what's next for us adventurers?" She's always looking for the next piece of action, she never could stand being stuck in one place at a time. When she gets bored, she becomes dangerous.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:03:10 pm by Athena » Logged
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #218 on: June 12, 2009, 05:07:33 pm »

"Back?" inquires Tommy,referring to Honey, genuinely puzzled. He never saw her at the warehouse fight, and thinks she's been here at the Salon the whole time. He looks over to Pam. "Ya sure that leg's OK, kid? I know a doc..well, he's a horse vet down at the Track, really, but he'll take a look at that if ya want, and he knows how ta keep his mouth shut." He takes another gulp of whiskey.
"I think that's enough adventure fer one day..or three..or whatever it was..is...ah, Hell..."
Blowing another smoke ring, he says, "I'm all fer relaxin' here for awhile, hopin' Mrs. Cross and th' Captain show up soon, and hopin' they're the only ones who do...we'll be lucky if the cops don't figure us in, but I think we got away clean...wonder what happened to Brantley?" 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:18:03 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
Athena
« Reply #219 on: June 12, 2009, 05:18:23 pm »

*laughing* "Thanks, but no. I grabbed some stuff at my place." Going to a bar stool and sitting down, se lifts up her skirt to reveal a crimson slice at her thigh. She reaches into her bag and gets out gauze and alcohol. As she pours the alcohol, she grits her teeth....hard. She didn't realize the wound ran as deep as it did. She applies butterfly strips to keep the wound closed and wraps it in gauze. "That should do it."

She winces a little as she puts weight on the leg and stands at the bar. She begins to take out items from her bag. A butterfly knife that she puts in behind her back, along with about 10 small knives, sharpened to a deadly point. They go in the side of her skirt. She brings out an automatic pistol which fits into her leather holster like a glove. Two leather gauntlets are strapped on with her wrists...both with the initials "A.H." and a gear design.

"I think I'm ready."
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #220 on: June 12, 2009, 10:23:14 pm »

Ms Storm sit quietly the whole ride back, thinking, and breathing.   She smiled over at Jimmy, giving a worried look at Pam.  But let her talk, and do what she needed to.  They reached the bar with little incident, and she sat down smiling when T.E. toasted them and laughed, raising her glass in agreement.

She frowned when Pam started pulling out all the knives, "Pretty intense." she commented, "you use all of them?"
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #221 on: June 13, 2009, 03:15:43 am »

The Professor stood and walked over to the bar.

"Brantley took off -- literally -- not too long after you folks left. Gave me a message for you and the girls, and Mrs. Cross. He said that  had to go and make sure Miss Honey survived; also to tell you that if it all worked out like it was supposed to, then he no longer exists in this century, but that he'd be back in a few hours."

Pouring another cup of coffee, he continued, "Now, just after you left, as planned, Brantley sent Clark off on his mission. I think we have to assume that worked out, since we are here. However, there's no sign of Clark -- I'm a little unclear on whether or when or under what circumstances he was to return, but it's been a busy day, or more."

He held up a hand as the others all tried to ask questions at once. "Please hold your questions until I finish explaining what happened here."

"As best I can," he muttered.

"Now, when I first came in, I sensed -- please don't ask how just now-- I sensed another person, asleep in the back room there. But just after Clark, er, departed, there was a noise back there -- not loud -- and we went to look. The back room was quite empty, and the only other door was double-bolted on this side. There was a peculiar smell in the room. Brantley was badly shaken by this, but I persuaded him to explain who'd been hiding here and why. While doing that, he summoned his airship by remote control, left the message I just gave you, and ran out and took off in one hell of a hurry. Just a few moments before you all arrived back here, Miss Honey there just about fell in the door, and I've been trying to get some sense out of her with the aid of Mrs. Cross's excellent coffee since then. Oh, and there are sandwiches and coffee for everybody over there. You know where to find the hard stuff." He stopped, took a deep breath, looked around at the others, and said, "Any questions?"

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 03:18:03 am by OldProfessorBear » Logged
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #222 on: June 13, 2009, 03:40:28 am »

The Front Page of the Next Day's Newspaper;

Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #223 on: June 13, 2009, 01:47:08 pm »

Shocked
 Cool

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #224 on: June 13, 2009, 03:43:54 pm »

"I wanna make somethin' clear," says Tommy, "...'specially ta Stormy an' Pam.." He raises the water glass in a salute. " You gals saved my hide out there, no doubt about it, ya really stepped up ta the plate, swung hard, and I think we hit a homer." He taps the early edition paper. "No mention of us, and they're basically sayin' something crooked was goin' on, and that it fell apart into a gang war...they're blamin'  Mayor Krunk's killin' on th' Russians." The big P.I. takes a swallow of whiskey, and pulls another Camel out of the pack. He pauses a moment while he sparks it, then continues. "You gals were there, you saw what happened,but you don't know the whole story. I been after Lippy fer six months, an' I've learned a few things, and suspected more...and most of my suspicions were confirmed yesterday. The Lizard financed the Mayor's campaign, and Hizzoner was as crooked as a dog's hind leg. Krunk and Lippy were in the process of selling this whole city to th' Russians, with th' Kafka mob as a go-between. That's what th' Mayor meant when he said Lippy was gonna make 'im rich. When he said he was gonna put us all in jail for the rest of our lives, he meant it." He pauses, takes a drag off the Camel, and exhales a plume of smoke." If it was just me, mebbe I'd a let 'im, mebbe not...but when he included you gals and Jimmy Chu in th' picture...I had to end 'im." He takes another swallow of the smoky liquor, then says, "Just didn't want ya'll ta think I was nuthin' but a cold-blooded killer..I had a good reason ta shoot that joker, and th' situation we was in was about as good a chance as I was ever gonna get. If we'd let him keep us there 'till the cops came, he'd a gotten away with it, Lipschitz would be a dead hero, and we'd a been blamed fer th' whole mess." He taps the paper again."Now it looks like they found enough evidence ta bust that lily-livered dip Fivendiemer as well...the Feds are in on it, and they'll dig up the whole crummy ball o' wax.
Good job, kids...we saved this city last night, whether ya knew it or not...good job."
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 03:51:12 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: