The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:06:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving Parts  (Read 4602 times)
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Official Steam Faerie

« on: June 04, 2009, 03:03:04 am »

I am in dire need of aid on what will likely be my biggest steam project.As I was some time ago deemed the 'Steam Faerie',I conceived of cobbling together gears and all to make a set of large brass and cloth wings.(Ask Kogwheal about the look,I decided to use the design from his Gogglemas present)
 So,I need help to figure how to set up clock movements to actually make them move.
Nothing really complicated,just the ability to wind them and have them beat for a minute or two.
 How should I go about this?Should I find larger gears to ensure they're in scale with the size of the wings?Ought I set in a counterweight for balance?

Any thoughts or aid would be greatly appreciated.

H.I.M.,Empress Kirix,Steam Faerie,Alchemical Creation
markf
Goggleologist
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:12:21 pm »

Making the wings move via a legit clockwork mechanism might be a bit heavy & complicated, but this might be a  workaround.  If you don’t mind using your hands and/or arms to move the wings you can modify a cheap battery powered gear clock to give the impression of being the 'motor' for the wings.  Remove the clock hands, place it between over your shoulders/between the wings, and the small battery will keep the 10-25 gears of the clock in constant motion while you wear your wings.  There are more than 10 different types of gear clocks commercially available, a couple are below.  It should add greatly to the authenticity of your prop wings.  markf  
ps - of course if you truly are our BG Steam Faerie I apologize for using the word 'prop'.    

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 04:29:02 am »

by brass and cloth do you mean like gossamer silks and thin brass wire or are we talking canvas and copper tubing. If the former it's far easier to se that sort of thing fluttering via clockwork then some huge bat like or bird like wings fashion form yards of canvas and a house worth of brass plumbing.

Rough out a wing design and basic positioning you'd like first and it makes it easier to figure the mechanism.

Based on fairie wing concepts and light weight materials I'd guess that you could do some silk scarf like materials that you can actual do your own silk dyeing techniques on to get the look you want. yo could put many small brass safety pins and gold/brass earings through them like peircings in certain locations. You're going to need a large sixe winding spring, and then a few good sized gears that could turn a worm screww on either side (time them to both turn in synch) with a peg or catch of some kind that will push on the bottom edge of the wings main strut below a fulcrum of some sort for each wing.

I'll try and do up a sketch and get access to a scanner soon, if you like.

edit ooo shes from ireland, does some anime fan stuff on her deviant art, and likes clockwork and mythological creatures. If you've got a lovely brough, I will have to say something scandalous along the lines of "bestill my heart"  Grin
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 04:34:45 am by rovingjack » Logged

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 03:19:22 am »

did I just hit this thread with my on again off again touch of death?
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Official Steam Faerie

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 09:03:46 am »

Making the wings move via a legit clockwork mechanism might be a bit heavy & complicated, but this might be a  workaround.  If you don’t mind using your hands and/or arms to move the wings you can modify a cheap battery powered gear clock to give the impression of being the 'motor' for the wings.  Remove the clock hands, place it between over your shoulders/between the wings, and the small battery will keep the 10-25 gears of the clock in constant motion while you wear your wings.  There are more than 10 different types of gear clocks commercially available, a couple are below.  It should add greatly to the authenticity of your prop wings.  markf 
Hm,I was worried about that.Thank you,sir.If nothing else,the gears shall be there to acheive an appropriate look.

by brass and cloth do you mean like gossamer silks and thin brass wire or are we talking canvas and copper tubing. If the former it's far easier to se that sort of thing fluttering via clockwork then some huge bat like or bird like wings fashion form yards of canvas and a house worth of brass plumbing.

Based on fairie wing concepts and light weight materials I'd guess that you could do some silk scarf like materials that you can actual do your own silk dyeing techniques on to get the look you want. yo could put many small brass safety pins and gold/brass earings through them like peircings in certain locations. You're going to need a large sixe winding spring, and then a few good sized gears that could turn a worm screww on either side (time them to both turn in synch) with a peg or catch of some kind that will push on the bottom edge of the wings main strut below a fulcrum of some sort for each wing.

edit ooo shes from ireland, does some anime fan stuff on her deviant art, and likes clockwork and mythological creatures. If you've got a lovely brough, I will have to say something scandalous along the lines of "bestill my heart"  Grin
And then dear Jack presents a decent solution-get the image of canvas and thick tubing out of my head.Lighter materials are certainly more fae-like in any case.I've got the look down,it's just the mechanism I need to perfect.Both ideas seem feasible and easily enough done.

*blush*It does crop up every now and again,sir Jack.
...An anime set in Ireland involving clockwork mythological creatures?Hehe,be still thine heart,dear sir.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 02:51:10 am »

rough idea:

dantes_torment
Snr. Officer

Humorous Hats and Bodaciously Fake Moustaches

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 02:22:25 am »

Keep it simple. Fewer places to go wrong.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Captain Carne
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Captain Carne of the ship Deira

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 01:10:37 am »

Making the wings move via a legit clockwork mechanism might be a bit heavy & complicated, but this might be a  workaround.  If you don’t mind using your hands and/or arms to move the wings you can modify a cheap battery powered gear clock to give the impression of being the 'motor' for the wings.  Remove the clock hands, place it between over your shoulders/between the wings, and the small battery will keep the 10-25 gears of the clock in constant motion while you wear your wings.  There are more than 10 different types of gear clocks commercially available, a couple are below.  It should add greatly to the authenticity of your prop wings.  markf 
Hm,I was worried about that.Thank you,sir.If nothing else,the gears shall be there to acheive an appropriate look.

And then dear Jack presents a decent solution-get the image of canvas and thick tubing out of my head.Lighter materials are certainly more fae-like in any case.I've got the look down,it's just the mechanism I need to perfect.Both ideas seem feasible and easily enough done.

*blush*It does crop up every now and again,sir Jack.
...An anime set in Ireland involving clockwork mythological creatures?Hehe,be still thine heart,dear sir.

Clockwork mythology? Sounds like hellboy 2 *drools*

Hmm i was hoping you would say copper pipe Tongue my fav material Cheesy (after my steam pistol hada lil to much of it on xD)

Hmm ive seen someones sort of suit 'tails' like a scarab beetles wings in a steamypunk way which looked awsome, i mean i will try dig up that picture for you. I guess you could make them out of aluminium so they would be light and spray them a brass colour.

If i cant find the wings pici will try photoshop something up for yeh.
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 03:06:22 pm »

Titus Wells's tail coat... and there are some recent photos of it in Off-Topic, post your picture thread.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: