The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 04:14:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quartermaster Listings?  (Read 3260 times)
Raindrops For Tears
Gunner

« on: February 27, 2007, 02:36:59 pm »

Could anyone direct me to a listing for supplies for tinkering projects. I am personally after anywhere in the  British Empire that can supply brass plates that are not designed to be used for electrical outlets. But it did strike me that I might as well ask about supplies in general. I will shortly be raiding elderly relatives garden sheds but any advice would be gratefully received.

Tears
Andy_W
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 02:40:20 pm »

Beaties and most good model shops sell small brass sheets in the U.K. along with copper and brass tubing.
Not sure what stores like B&Q carry.

Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 05:18:18 pm »

B&Q will supply you with brass tubes of a couple of narrow thicknesses, brass rods, and brass square-section thingies too.  They don't do brass plate, but they do do what they call "Red Aluminium" in various sizes as well as a few different kinds of silvercoloured meshes.  Not ideal, but that's what they do.
buffpixie
Officer

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 07:36:45 pm »

-not sure about brass, but you should be able to get copper and zinc plates at artist supply shops that cater to printmakers. i've also found lighter-weight sheets of copper and brass (as well as rods and tubes and such) at hobby or craft shops.
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 09:54:16 pm »

There are a few Metal Supermarkets in the UK, but much to my disgust their opening hours overlap my working hours quite perfectly.  I mean really - places that don't open on a Saturday!
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 10:54:26 pm »

B&Q do sheets of 'ornamental' metal, fretwork and that sort of thing, as well as the small amount of brass tube.

Just a thought, have you tried eBay? I've bought small amounts of metal stock at much less than the Metal Supermarkets would sell them for from the 'Bay before now.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 10:55:57 pm by Herr Döktor » Logged

The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 06:35:55 am »

There are a few Metal Supermarkets in the UK, but much to my disgust their opening hours overlap my working hours quite perfectly.  I mean really - places that don't open on a Saturday!

BAH! Banker's hours...there are some places like that in Hollywood, and I'm thinking "owner is in his 80s, has had his store for 60 years, and still thinks its the 1950s" Smiley

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
cartertools
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 07:40:07 am »

For the UK, pick up a copy of "Model Engineer", or "Model Engineer's Workshop", usually a bunch of ads for various places selling materials.

Always get to know your local scrap yard...
Ren
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 05:06:07 pm »

Could anyone direct me to a listing for supplies for tinkering projects. I am personally after anywhere in the  British Empire that can supply brass plates that are not designed to be used for electrical outlets. But it did strike me that I might as well ask about supplies in general. I will shortly be raiding elderly relatives garden sheds but any advice would be gratefully received.

Tears

Probably not the cheapest place, but http://rswww.com/ do brass stock.

Mechanical Products & Tools / Workshop Consumables / Engineering Materials / Non-Ferrous Stock / Copper And Brass

Raindrops For Tears
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 02:30:00 am »

While randomly stumbling through the internet i came across this site . It 'looks' like it might be useful for fairly cheap bits and bobs.

www.modelshop.co.uk

Tears
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 06:24:43 pm »

I've already posted these links in my 'Etheric Beam Pistol' thread, but they need a wider audience; first up- EMA Model Supplies- mainly architectural model supplies, but lots of domes, hemispheres, tubes and strange bits'n'bobs, and Hobby's- famous for dolls house acoutremounts, but do a lot of clock parts and many other useful items!
Keltric
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 11:45:49 pm »

Hello, Steampunk Forum. I must say I was quite surprised to find that this place was little more than a week old- for the sheer volume of posts, this promises to be one of the most active messageboards I've ever seen for such a topic.

I confess I'm something of a novice when it comes to tinkering with mechanics: I've always been more of a digital/electronics man, and find myself totally at a loss for where to obtain materials for decorative or functional prop/toy/gizmo-making. Does anyone have a good source (online or in the USA) for clockwork/gears/pistons/etc? Brass, copper, and fasteners are available in long supply from my local hardware store, but moving parts elude me. All the catalogs and stores I've found give me only a name and very vague specifications for these items- no good measurements, no pictures, nada. Any advice?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: