The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 06:58:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jump Hour pocket watches - the "mechanical digital" watch  (Read 6285 times)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« on: May 18, 2009, 01:14:02 am »

That finky electric clock posted below got me digiing through the books and pics.
Thought you might be interested to see some early "digital" watches. In these watches, the hour and minutes are displayed numercally, and use rotating plates, similar to those used in the date function of a modern watch.  A spring driven finger causes the disk to "jump" to the next position, hence the name.

Quite possibly the earliest jump hour was this one by Blondeau, a one of a kind piece from 1830. It was made for Louis-Philippe d'Orléans, the French king at the time.

Later on, in the 1880's, The production jump hour watch was designed by Joseph Pallweber for manufacture  by Cortébert and International Watch Co. (IWC) in the 1880s.

Cortrebert:

IWC:

Finally, a promotional watch by Modernista in the early 1900's, this one with a retrograde minutes complication.

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Wisconsin Platt
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 01:56:00 am »

Thank you.  Your knowledge and pictures have once again made my day.

┌─┐
┴─┴
ಠ_ರೃ
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 02:03:29 am »

i have been trying to hunt one down for a while.. even broken ones i could restore are pricey

I am a freak in control not a control freak
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 02:46:38 am »

Yeah, the early ones are generally museum pieces now. There are a few jump hour wristwatches coming out of China, notably in the Alpha brand, now..

Cheers
Harold
markf
Goggleologist
United States United States

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:49:16 pm »

Very nice watches, I like all of them.  markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 03:39:00 pm »

Thanks for that great intro Harold, any chance you could go a little bit more in depth about the jump mechanism?

Also, is it sad that I recognise every single one of those photos from Bogoff watches? Wink

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 06:23:53 pm »

Thanks for that great intro Harold, any chance you could go a little bit more in depth about the jump mechanism?

Also, is it sad that I recognise every single one of those photos from Bogoff watches? Wink

Ah yes, Bogoff... happily separating watch-nuts from their hard-earned money for many years  Grin  Grin - They do have some neat stuff, though, don't they..
I'll put something togeterh on the jump mechanism and post..

Cheers
Harold
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 02:46:11 am »

That they do, my favourite jump hour watch they had was the sort of triangular looking one, perhaps you remember it? I can't seem to find it in his page now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: