The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 01:24:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know about this watch I found?  (Read 1739 times)
CS Steamworks
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: May 12, 2009, 10:07:29 pm »

This is a few pictures of a pocketwatch that my great grandma had.  On the inside it has AMJ and D 18 stamped into it. Behind the face it again has AMJ, and a picture of a crown with the number 18 next to it. The printing on the outer case is blue.  I really don't know much about pocketwatches so any info would be great.  Sorry the pictures kinda stink, but the battery on the camera is going out and I had limited time to get them posted.

alefoot
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:37:28 pm »

It's a "Half Hunter", or "Demi-Hunter". It appears to have the original [or at least correct] type of hands, so that the time can be read with the case closed. They were made that way so that the fragile crystal could remain mostly protected, while the user could still read the time without opening the case. Obviously it's missing the bow, but that can be fixed. Better pictures would help a bit Smiley

Looks like a key-wind, pin set movement. I'd say it was a keep and fix up watch, not a bust apart for cogs watch. Please don't take it apart without having it looked at!

Perhaps one of the moderators would be nice enough to move this over to 'Chronautomata', where it will attract the attention of more knowledgeable types....
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 03:39:28 am »

Persoannly I really don't think that any vintage watch that can be restored should be used as parts for dubious art..
Let me hit the books and see what I can find out about it.. Not familiar with teh AMJ markings off the top of my head, but thats what movement id books are for..
Are those markings on the case or the movement.. (if you can make out any more markings besides slow and fast on the movement that would help. Are there any marks on the balance cock (thats the "arm" in the last picture that holds the balance wheel in place..) Are there any numbers on the case (.585, .750. etc?)

Back at ya in a bit..
Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:48:39 am by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 03:40:07 am »

Whatever you do, restore it! It is an heirloom, and a very nice watch. Half-hunters are a lot less common that open-face or full hunters. The blue numerals on the outside will be blue enamel. The crown and 18 might denote 18K gold, though I am not too sure.

A very beautiful watch, be sure to treasure it Smiley

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
CS Steamworks
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:50:16 pm »

First off nobody worry about me using this for parts, I have plenty of parts. It's worth far more to me then use as an art piece.   I very much want to restore it.  It does appear to have a place to wind it with a key, and the back of the case is hinged as well as the front.  I found some fine etched stuff on the inside of the case under the lip.  The only thing I can make out is 18k, so I'm assuming that is the gold type.  I have posted a cleaner picture of the inside now that I have more time.  the numbers 8196 are stamped into the inside lid as well as on the workings.  Hopefully that will help a little more.  I really appreciate everyone's input on this.
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 10:05:47 pm »

Zounds--gorgeous!  Sorry I don't have any info, but I had to pipe in with my appreciation for the beauty of the ting Shocked

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 01:05:00 pm »

Well, a half-hunter in good condition in an 18K case is quite a valuable watch! I can't really speak about the movement, that is Harold's domain Smiley

You be able to get a key quite easily for the watch, and give it a wind, and see if anything happens! Even if it seems to work perfectly, it is best to have it cleaned and lubed, as a watch that has been in storage for a long time can dry out, put more wear on the bearing etc.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 05:20:38 pm »

Still researching this, but from the information and pics given, I'll hazard a guess at this being an English made watch from the mid 1800's (I'd go anywaher from 1843- 1865).
The case is most likely the original, seeing as the "8196" mark is on both, and from the crown and 18 mark, is most likely 18K gold. The ghands are original, (a demi hunter needs a shorter hour hand).
  I say English from the movement style (although there is a possibility that its an early Swiss watch (the Swiss usually used a finger bridge style, but some eratly ones were full plate as this one is) The date , is based, again on the movement style, and the fact that the watch appears to be pin set and key wound.(if you could verify that there is a small push pin to the right of the stem, that would help.. (unless you can tell me for sure how the watch sets the time).
  Its a bit tough to date a watch from pictures only, so the more info, the better.. I'll keep digging, but what makes it tough is the lack of any mrking on the movement that would give a clue as to maker..

Cheers
Harold
CS Steamworks
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 05:59:30 pm »

Harold you are truly a watch god!  It does have a small push pin to the right of the stem.  I pushed the pin in and turned the stem, and it started to adjust the minute hand. If I don't push in the pin the stem will not move.  Obviously I am not going to force it, but I'm assuming this will get us closer to solving the mystery of the watch.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 06:23:34 pm »

Thanks... That is indeed a pin set watch. (that pin is how you set the time, pin setting is later than key setting, and earlier than crown(stem) setting). Gives me a bit more to go on.

Cheers
Harold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: