The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:43:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prototype Muttonguard Goggles WIP  (Read 887 times)
Gearwork
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: May 06, 2009, 04:35:38 am »

Hi guys! Long time lurker etc. etc.

While the photo is quite scruffy, you can see I'm in need of more than the regular protection provided by everyday goggles

Unfortunately, my "model's" face is much smaller than mine so I'm calling it a learning experience.  I'll end up doing everything I plan on doing for the real Muttonguards except mounting my cinder goggles to it.  I'll save that for one I can actually wear.  Looks like I need to get my face cast for that.

Waiting for it to dry after rough cutting and the first shaping.

Future Plans:
Cleaning up the cuts.
Brass Eyelets uhm...noseholes?
lambswool(ish) lining
Weathering the leather a bit.
misc. mounting hardware

I don't actually have the details totally worked out yet and figured it couldn't hurt to throw it up here for suggestions while I work on it.

Mr. Hatchett
Zeppelin Admiral

Unnaturalist

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 02:12:53 am »

Welcome!  You don't really need to go to the trouble of casting your face.  It's not the most pleasant feeling in the world, but it it possible to shape the leather using your own face as a last.  Use water that's not too warm to soak your own hands in, and make sure your face is clean and dry and free of oil (you might even want a thin layer of fabric between your skin and your leather.  Soak the leather for a minute or so, until it stops bubbling and is very loose and supple, and then smooth the edges round with the side of a short length of PVC pipe, or a bone folder if you've got one.  This will give you nice, round edges on your leather. 

Now press the mask down on your face, using as much pressure as you comfortably can on the sides of the nose, in the eye sockets and in the hollows of your cheeks if necessary.  Then, just lay back and relax for a bit. 

After your leather has had a little while to stiffen up a little, you can take it off your face and lay it on something of a vaguely similar shape.  It should hold its shape pretty well at that point.  the leather should take a day or three to dry, depending on its thickness and the climate.

Note that if you're using this method, you'll want to do any tooling before you shape it.  Unless you cut the leather too small or your water was too hot, you can still use the leather you cut for your test piece to make your mask.

When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish.
Gearwork
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 06:08:43 am »

The leather I'm using is 8-9oz tooling leather so it's very thick and takes painful force to mold around curves like my big schnauz.  It's hard to tell but there is a cheekbone ridge added to the mask for rigidity that would be hard to shape while stuck to my face Smiley

This was definitely cut too small.  It lacks about an inch and a half to the sides so I'll probably end up doing it on the dummy head again and just taking that into account.  Luckily I have a whole tooling side to play with.  Though I do have other projects I want to do with it.

I've had a full head cast done before and it's not that bad.  Unfortunately the final cast was done in regular Plaster of Paris and it hasn't survived.  If I ever have it done again I'll use some of the newer products on the market that make a longer lasting mold than algenate(sp?) and cast it in a sturdier material.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: