The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 07:25:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam and Sand Game Thread  (Read 50507 times)
Aeryenne Tederich
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Illusionist

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 10:08:29 pm »

Scarlette had in fact been rather impressed with Kat's smooth removal of the pocketwatch, especially as it would appear it was her first time...but she had inwardly groaned when the younger girl had then removed it once again from her pocket, into plain sight of the original owner. So close....still, there was no doubt that Kat had naturally light fingers. Had she not taken the watch out again, perhaps the fiesty Captain Skinner may not even have noticed?

But notice she clearly did, and Scarlette stepped neatly back out of the conflict between the two, Skinner challenging and Kat defending. Circling so she stood nearer to Royce and the others, she decided it was not her place, nor in her interests, to intervene - she preferred to watch with mild amusement as now Red stepped in on the scene, swinging the watch tauntingly from the screwdriver.

She found herself beginning to warm to this group of what had been, up until a few minutes ago, complete strangers. They did all seem a very interesting bunch, and what harm was a little conflict every now and then? Still, things seemed to settle down again soon enough, as Skinner retrieved her watch and moved away. And when Red placed his offering upon the table, Scarlette decided it was about time she should hand over hers.

"I'm afraid, Mr. Grosvenor, that I don't have much hard cash on me. What I do have, however," she drew from her pockets a myriad of expensive trinkets she had gathered earlier in the day, placing them on the table with a clunk, "Is a few things that can easily be turned into the aforementioned cash." There was good money to be had from selling the artifacts she'd presented, and she knew it.

"A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity."
 - Robert Frost
Mina
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 10:09:38 pm »

Kat shivered at the woman's words. As if she cared that this woman had seen some big, muddy river and won a watch. Stole it, more likely. That thing looked like real silver. She grumbled at her loss, but wasn't too upset. Mostly impressed: at Red's stealth, and Skinner's ability to intimidate. Well, she now she knew she wasn't going to be stealing again. Maybe.

She glanced over at Royce, wondering what he could possibly be thinking about his new crew. Seemed to her they weren't gonna have any problems getting along. Just so long as that knight stopped looking over at her, as if she couldn't see.

More money was dropped on the table, as well as stolen goods on Scarlette's part. Seemed like funds weren't going to be an issue. What, did everyone in this blasted place have a secret stash? Or were they all just criminals. Kat vaguely began to regret not going to find her brother. Too late, now
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:20:39 pm by Mina » Logged

Come take my journey into night
    Come be my shadow, walk at my side
    And when you see all that I have seen
    Can you tell me love from pride?
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 10:09:50 pm »

"Please, it's just Mr. Babbage. There isn't really anywhere that can bestow that title anymore let alone recognise it."

He placed his book down on the table and look around at everyone who had joined.

"I've a few years experience with salvaging crews, and my expertise in all areas in of science are in high demand around these parts."

"But is Kat short for Kathrine by chance, Ms. Doyle?"

Steampunk Radio Play.
Now taking auditions.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16578.0
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 10:16:31 pm »

Kat cursed, and glared up at the man who addressed her.

"What I do with my life is my own business - not my brothers, nor yours Mr. Babbage. And I would kindly appreciate it if you refrained from calling me by my full name."

She made a mental note to tear down the flier with her name on it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:18:24 pm by Mina » Logged
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 10:19:30 pm »

Red had become ever so slightly fidgety over the last few seconds.

"Mr Babbage, I believe I may have come across your work before. Did you, by any chance, have anything to do with the Tesla-broadcast tower project?"

His eyes swung sideways to book on the table. Literature was rare in these parts, few organic materials survived the... incident.

"Who would have guessed that behind the formidable brow of his, which appeared to be made of some kind of rook, there lay so strange a mixture of memories and thoughts?"

Skinner
Snr. Officer

Captain Charlotte J. Skinner, Airship Scalleywag

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 10:24:04 pm »

Skinner mumbled something smart-ass about Kittens, and pointedly side stepped farther from Kat to avoid any physical grabs or swipes of retaliation.

Oh yes, she could tell, as much as she played angry for that little light-fingered move- she was going to like this dysfunctional dynamic with the snappy little red head. She tipped the brim of her hat lower over her brow, perhaps to moderate her beaming, toothy smirk.

But as topic turned to Mr Babbage's, perhaps, Ex-professorship, she closed her grin and looked boredly at her boots. Nothing really she could add there. Instead she stole glances from the safe shadow of her hat's brim, at Kat, and Red, and Scarlette, and Royce. She was itching and fidgety herself. She wanted to get on the road. Or at least know if it would be long before they could move off, so she could buy herself a second drink.
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 10:29:36 pm »

"Wait..... what?"

Ben was taken back a bit by Kat's reaction, obviously he had touched a nerve.

"I apologise Ms. Doyle, I was merely curious."

"But yes, I worked for a time on that project, but unfortunately I proved unfeasible. Not many people know about that, how did you come across it?"
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 10:36:53 pm »

"I was furnished with a list of equipment to scavenge for the tower. Damn near impossible to find some of it was too but all expenses-paid. And I did the job, well, most of it. A few misses here and there but ninety per cent of the list. After it was scrapped and the clients disappeared I was left with a small warehouse of really quite valuable salvage. A lot of it's still there."

Red wasn't being careful now, not with Babbage, of who's knowledge he had heard tell of so often in the technical camps, sat opposite. Still, it would be advisable to keep an element of secrecy about the whereabouts of his stash. Even if he were to withdraw it and sink it into this project, which, incidentally, he was no further forward discovering the aim of, there were quick-eared fellows around with no ties who would be raiding the cache as quickly as he could blink. Mind you, with the guard unit he'd put in place there's be no guarantee there wouldn't be some casualties before entry was gained.
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 10:40:07 pm »

Kat smiled somewhat grimly at Ben, but did not interrupt his conversation with Red.

Looking around, she saw that Skinner seemed just as bored as her on the subject of science. Well, at least there was one thing they had in common.

Bored, Kat stood up, and went to remove the flier concerning her. It was already gone. Odd...

When she returned, nothing seemed to have changed. She fidgeted, wishing they would hurry up and get to the point.
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 11:18:42 pm »

"That was one of the main problems. That and large projects like that have a tendency to attract a lot of unwanted attention."

"But we are digressing I fear. I happen to know a fellow who will give us a fair deal on a rig."
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 11:22:27 pm »

"Then it may be in all our interests to seek out your contact, before our number grows too much more."
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 11:27:51 pm »

"I hope it ent a dirt crawling rig, is it? Problem with them is, they're aweful hard to drive..." Skinner piped up. "And they're limited. Yeh can only cross terrain the beastly thing is willing to cross. And there's no backup fuel in most. What yeh really want... Is a flyin' machine."

She uncrossed her arms, brushed her coat open, and put her hands on her hips.

"And anythin' yeh need to know about Air Ships, I can help yeh with. I really recommend 'em, if only because not many scavengers 'ave em. But you can get over dust storms with a dirigible, yeh can dodge raiders in the clouds, an yeh can spot sites across the landscape before anyone on the ground sees em."
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 11:38:32 pm »

"An airship would indeed be preferable, Ms. Skinner. But had we the money to buy one I'd imagine we wouldn't need to be in the salvaging business."
Said Ben with a smirk.
"I did some favours for this man a while ago and he should have what we need."
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 11:46:38 pm »

Skinner returned the smirk, despite finding Ben's high born smartypants voice strange.
"Guess yeh got a point. We'll do some business first, then, an' gather enough funds for a grand ol' skybirdy in no time."
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 12:02:12 am »

"Yes, business." said Royce. He felt the group was well aquainted enough now to start planning.

"Well, firstly, the thing will be to go to the factory yards outside and look about buying a rig. Then...well, I had planned some regular salvage work...but I'm starting to think of something a bit more...ambitious. This is where a scholar might be useful."

He nodded at Mr. Babbage.

"Anyways...I have a friend who knew a man came back from the far south absolutly loaded with loot. The man later died for it...but he did give a little indication where he got it from. Apparently somewhere down there is a place called "The Isle of White" - an island I'm presuming. And on that were some very well preserved ruins - he said they were called Ozborne or something. Apparently that place is packed with treasures from pre-Event times. A royal stash perhaps. That man took only as much as he could carry - there must be plenty more."

He paused.

"There will be danger though. When he went south the general area was controlled by Cornwall. Nowadays it's part of Anglia and they can be mighty...suspicious of foreigners. As well, on top of bandits and sandstorms and the like, I've no clue where it exactly is. That's why I hoped you might know at least a clue, Proffessor. If you need some research time, that's alright. Some of us should go get looking at organizing transport soon."

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
Aeryenne Tederich
Snr. Officer

The Illusionist

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 12:10:14 am »

Scarlette smiled slightly, glad at the sign of progression - she had never been the type to stand around talking, she had always preferred to get on and get things done.

And at the mention of a 'royal stash', her thieving fingers began to twitch and she was hooked for good.

"Well, I doubt any of us were expecting a risk-free journey, Mr. Grosvenor." She chuckled quietly, eyes glittering with the slowly-reawakening thrill that she had been looking for. On the contrary, it just made things more entertaining, in her opinion. Nothing like a bit of danger to get the adrenaline going.
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 12:29:02 am »

"No need for research Mr. Grosvenor I memorised a detailed map of Britain when I was 8. I believe I know where you're talking about." Said Ben as he doodled a quick map on a bar mat.
"I should warn you it is a long trip."
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 12:47:29 am »

"Hmm." said Royce, looking at the sketch. "Ah, I see. Yes, it's a bit farther than I thought. Mmm...yes and the Anglians have definitely pushed that far west."

He stared a bit at the map. Some dangerous territory...known bandit regions...but still. Treasure.

"Well." he said. "Is everyone alright with this plan? I don't want to be pushing anyone into unwanted danger. But I would say we seem to have the right set of skills to see us through something like this - a good solid rig and we're on a good road."
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 12:53:41 am »

"Aye." Red nodded his agreement.

"And I'll wager we can pick up a little something en route. Shall we have a look at this rig o' yours then?"
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 01:18:52 am »

"I'm up," said Kat, standing up and pushing back her chair, "When do we leave?"
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2009, 01:31:22 am »

"Whenever our stalwart captain wills it." Conlan said with a smile which seemed rather un-nerving to those with weaker constitutions. It was the smile of a man who had ended human lives. He reached into his satchel and hefted the leather sack. The timultous jangling of brass coins seemed to sing a tempting chorus to the theives of the posse. Immediately his eyes, like blood-drenched earth shot towards them.
"Should anyone but me or a merchant touch these coins without my consent, I shall not hesitate to use force." With that he snatched up the purse, concealing it within his sallet.
He gave them all a wide, rather sunny grin, though one was unsure wether he was joking, or was not particularly right in the head...
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2009, 02:03:22 am »

Royce got up. "Well, ladies and gentlemen, I do believe we leave as soon as we have a rig under us. I've got an urge to start moving. The Professor need only lead us to the good deal he believes he can get us. You people can sort out the price. Here's my contribution." he said, handing a group of coins to Babbage. "Not much, but I'm saving for some supplies. I'll go handle that, then meet up with you at the Factory Yard - then we can hit the desert immediately. Thank you all very much for showing interest in this enterprise."

He grinned at Conlan. "Well, I wouldn't like the term captain...I'm not much of a leader at all. I think it's fair to work as a team on this - as long as the good Ms. Skinner has no intentions of seizing control." he smiled.
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2009, 02:52:11 am »

"Well," said Kat, "I've a few details to take care of. I may even be able to contribute more when I'm through. Shall we decide upon a meeting place and time?"

She intended to return in secret to her flat. Remove what little belongings she had, explain she no longer needed the room, and sell everything. Perhaps she could get some practice in, too.

Glancing mistrustfully at Skinner, and without waiting for a reply she told them "I'll be here in the morning at the latest." With that, she walked away from the table, slipping out of the pub and into the night.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2009, 04:55:55 am »

"Very well then. We shall meet once more in the pub where we first gathered. I trust I will get to know you all very well." He hefted his satchel of gold, tossing it onto the table for the head of the operation.
"Perhaps with that we may be able to get a rig with some finer parts than the commonplace salvage-heap which most rigs have become."
He twirled the sack of brass upon his finger before slipping it away and heading off into a local inn by the name of The construct's hat.
He entered the inn, which immediately caused several seedier tenants to stand up straight and begin half-formed conversations about cats they never owned and places they had never been, occaisonally winking to their partner to whom they were most likeley talking in code. He only smirked and carried on to his room.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:08:23 am by Nigel Wetherby » Logged
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2009, 09:04:07 am »

"I'd prefer to come along to the yard." Red announced as he watched Kat slide out of the pub into the darkening streets beyond. With a bit more training and practice she could be one to watch, he thought.

"I's like to cast an eye over this Rig before we commit, good deals often lead to a good deal more being spent on repairs."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: