The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 12:26:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam and Sand Game Thread  (Read 50477 times)
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1025 on: October 21, 2009, 03:21:40 am »

Dear had found her birth certificate and was slowly reading it.  The language was very formal and used odd spelling but she kept at it and slowly she came to understand where she had come from.  The most shocking thing for her was not learning that her true mother had died shortly after she was born but that the person she had always called the Big man was really her own father.  She sat very quietly trying to understand.  Dear had always been so sure hated her or at least thought she was a nuisance.  That gruff distant man was her papa?  Dear was fairly sure the yellow lady was her true mama. Then who was the woman she called Mama?  Dear was very confused and she hoped the other papers could tell her more. 

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1026 on: October 21, 2009, 05:12:20 am »

Conlan walked into his room, placing his sword down as he pulled out the small slab of slate and a tiny peg of chalk. Now would have been the time that they did their math excersises, but she seemed positively infatuated with the odd numerical device.
He sat beside her and examined the "Toy" attempting to decode its use, and why it was that it seemed so very familiar.
However, he saw that Dear was indisposed, her eyes glued to the papers which held the secrets to her birth. Among these papers was a leather-bound books, though the binding was cracking and the leather cover had become hard. He picked up the old tome. As Conlan opened it, he noticed that the writing within was much like that found in the notes in Dear's nursery.
This was her Father's handwriting.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1027 on: October 21, 2009, 11:17:28 pm »

Dear took out the picture Conlan had saved and pointed to the happy looking man.  "This is my papa and this is my true mama."  She made a circle around the picture of the ladies maid.  "And this is my Mama only she really isn't.   My papa killed her and I don't even know her real name."  This stirred strange feelings that she did not understand.  "The papas in stories are nice and say I love you.  I think maybe the stories lie cause my papa was always mad at me."
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1028 on: October 22, 2009, 12:04:52 am »

Conlan flipped through the diary, the pages were stuffed with letters and numbers in odd placements, forming odd pictures and symbols.
He listened to Dear's lamentations and pondered her dilemma for a moment.
"Dear, the world is not always as the fairy stories depict. Not everyone starts off with a happy beginning, or a very happy middle. However, it's up to us to make it our happy ending by ourselves, because if we don't write our own, then no one will."
Skinner
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Captain Charlotte J. Skinner, Airship Scalleywag

« Reply #1029 on: October 22, 2009, 01:59:23 am »

Royce's words pricked Skinner's ears more than anyone elses- and she wasn't sure why. It was either because she truely saw him as an equal, whether by age or strength or experiance or sheer manlyness. Or maybe it was because he reminded her of her father, when he was younger- what she had always wanted to grow up to be. It was a kind of admiration that one feels for someone who has acheived the goal you want in life, not quite envious, and not quite reverent.

That- and he did, afterall, control her paycheck.

"Royce-!" she called after him, turning her back on the controls to try and call him back before he left the cabin. She sounded sincere, and almost a little breathless. "You know I'm with yeh. I-I'm sorry I blew a gasket. I'll keep a lid on it, from now on. If only fer your sake."
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« Reply #1030 on: October 22, 2009, 10:06:48 am »

Royce looked back at Skinner.

"Thank you." he said, letting out a long breath.

"Now." he said. "Keep us going on this heading. I do know this area, to a degree. We'll eventually be coming to a long but low canyon. We should hit it as night's about to set. There're various side canyons off of it. Find one to park us in and we'll set up for the night there. It's very difficult to stop a vehicle hidden there, unless someone actually heads down into the canyon to search, or prowls around the edge, which is pretty dangerous to do at night. I've used it a few times and it works well. We're between the zones of influence of York and Lancashire. Neither of them tend to go into this no-mans land, but they do make enough sorties that bandits are rare. Tomorrow we can make the run to Hadrian before the next night."

He moved back to the small kitchen, taking his water skin and chewing on a piece of dried meat. Pig, rather than cow. The beef jerky was too valuable to use up all at once. He sighed slightly, thinking the situation over. This was the first time he'd really felt so... responsible for people. They'd willingly gone with him and trusted him to make the right choices. He'd mostly worked alone. Not only was he having to get used to working with people, he was also having to get used to leading them. Tell truth, he'd had way more trouble to deal with since he'd starting this little operation. When he worked in the military, things were simple. He failed or succeed on his own. He was responsible for no one and no one was responsible for him. You had to put a lot on the line when you made friends. He paused, having surprised himself with that last word. He'd never really thought of that before.

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
Smigg the Miserable
Snr. Officer

Too much blood in my caffeine stream...

« Reply #1031 on: October 22, 2009, 12:08:06 pm »

"Well now," said Drake, entering the kitchen with a brown paper bag in his hand, "Seems this has been a worthwhile trip.  All I need now is a fresh lead."  He reached into the bag and pulled out what looked like a slice of dried apple, popped it into his mouth and started to chew while looking around him, examining the rig properly for the first time since he'd come on board.  He had to say, it wasn't too bad.  Better than some of the rolling heaps of junk he'd been on.  Brought then engineer in him out a bit.

"This is a pretty decent vehicle you've got here," Drake commented to Royce, "Feels like a fairly smooth runner.  Engine sounds a little choked, but that might just be my imagination.  How's it handle?"

When you're as brilliant as I am vanity ceases to be an issue.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1032 on: October 22, 2009, 10:40:11 pm »

"Then I will make a very happy ending for me.  I will have a big rolling house, a garden with a tree I can climb and a house for bunnies." She sounded very determined.  "We could find all the number picture treasures then I could have any house I wanted.  That treasure place was little there are bigger ones and I will take us to all of them."  Dear grinned she had never felt particularly important but now she had a job that only she could do and she was proud.
Skinner
Snr. Officer

Captain Charlotte J. Skinner, Airship Scalleywag

« Reply #1033 on: October 23, 2009, 01:37:09 am »

Skinner couldn't hear any talk from the kitchen, being in the cabin and quite a distance away, nevermind the layers of doors and inside walls between the galley and the engine rooms. If she could, though, she would have had more than a little to boast about in terms of the rig herself. And just as well- she would have gone on to speak of it for hours, long into the night, and she wouldn't be half done.

But now that she had had a talking to from Royce, her mind was on the sands ahead, not needing to check the time or raise her head out of the window to find the sun- as she watched the colours of the sands shift and change with the march of the day.
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1034 on: October 23, 2009, 06:34:04 am »

"She handles very well. We've taken her through some tight situations. But that was mostly Skinner's piloting. If you want specifics you should talk to her. The other people who knew lots about it... aren't with us anymore. I'm more skilled at breaking vehicles than driving them."

He continued further back to his cabin, giving the books a check over. Looked like Drake had been honest in his perusing. He sat down to take a serious look at them.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1035 on: October 24, 2009, 03:21:14 am »

Conlan smiled, finding Dear's dream of an idyllic life admirable. Though there came a deep sadness as he realized that she would very likely not get such a wish, should she suceed in saving English Civilisation.
He tried to divert his train of thought onto another track by reading the Journal of the last king of England.

As he skimmed, something caught his eye. The mentioning of the Draigen house. He flipped back to the page where it was mentioned and began to read.
Dear Journal,

The Draigen house has fortified itself, it seems that many native raiding parties have attempted to make an attack on their walls in order to claim their information. And they had nearly gotten it too. I had always told them that they were foolish to store it in one so young. They shall get themselves killed one day, and lose their precious treasure. I should hope it does not come to that, god help us if a madman like...him...gets his hands on such technology.
Mina
Snr. Officer

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #1036 on: October 26, 2009, 08:30:36 pm »

After reading a chapter, Kat found herself restlessly flicking through the pages of her book, She stared at the ceiling for a moment, but finally gave up and headed into the kitchen. She payed no mind to Drake or Royce, but assembled herself a quick sandwich. Taking the sandwich with her, she headed to the back of the 7-7 and leaned against the rail, watching the landscape as it seemed to sweep away from them.

Come take my journey into night
    Come be my shadow, walk at my side
    And when you see all that I have seen
    Can you tell me love from pride?
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1037 on: October 28, 2009, 03:45:32 am »

Dear pointed to the picture of Draigen crest sketched in the margins of the page.  "That is the same picture that is on our metal man.  I remember when Mr Hennessey brought it to the house. He was very nice and he gave me a peppermint stick and called me a good girl.  I always kind of hoped he was my papa cause he was nice and he told me stories about his castle before he went away.  I wonder where he is now."
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1038 on: October 30, 2009, 01:08:02 am »

"H-H-Hennessy?"
Conlan's voice dropped an octive, as memories began to surface. His whole body locked up as a memory flashed at his minds eye.
It was the image of a kind man, with a warm smile and a heavy coat of coal black armor. A scar across his cheek, which shone with a pinkish sheen. His deep, brown eyes flashed with pride as he remembered the vauge smoky outline of words, words that filled him with bittersweet sadness and happiness at the same time.
"Father!" He grabbed the paper from her hands, taking care not to tear it as he read the report carefully, sadly, most of it had been smudged, and the edges singed.
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1039 on: November 10, 2009, 09:57:30 am »

By now Royce could see the sun lowering. Everyone else on board had busied themselves through the day with reading. Not the usual activity of scavengers, but useful if one knew what to read. Even if you just intended to sell books rather than use their contents it was best if you knew the true value. He now leaned out, staring across the sands. He could see the landmarks he remembered. Soon they would hit the canyon, where they could rest in reasonable safety for the night. Of course, anything in York was very safe when considered in comparison to Scotland. No one really knew much about that place, aside from the nasty sorts that came out of it. The stories went that whatever caused the Event had been developed there, in a place known as Glass Gowe. The story was that there was a massive factory there, one that loomed over the dead ruins. It was there that many of the wonders of the Empire had been created. It was also said that it stretched just as far underground. Things that couldn't be explained by people in the south, like mutants (and sandworms) were said to have come from this underground "Chamber."

Regardless of the legends, it was a very dangerous place, especially since it was ruled by Seamus. Even the tribes not allied to him, of which there were few these days, would still attack travelers if they thought them easy prey and the rewards good enough. And, with fewer atriums to grow food, there was always tales of cannibalistic tribes...

For now he'd be happy with a humble canyon as a sleeping place.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1040 on: November 11, 2009, 08:12:21 am »

"Mr Hennessey is your papa?  He should have brought you with him then we could have all played together.  He never told me he had a little boy."  She watched the changes in his face as his memories rose. "Did something bad happen to your Papa? Wait I remember the big man taking about a fire taking the house of the thistle.  A fire set by a wild man that burned all the treasures up.  He sent a whole batch of men to see what had happened here but they never came back."  Conner looked sad so Dear patted his shoulders like he had done to her when she had bad dreams.  "The big man found out the treasure was still around right before the island people ran away.  Maybe your papa hid it and we can find it again."
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1041 on: November 12, 2009, 05:23:55 am »

Conlan was taken aback by Dear's recollection of his father, a man who had remained incredibly distant since he could remember, or at least he was within the fragmentations of his memory which he had recovered.
Sir Brendan had told them they had been murdered by villaiges, he remembered seeing them burn, but a tiny thought slid into his mind, a thought which fluttered like an autumn leaf. Insignificant in presence, but its meaning shook the world.
What if the ones he had seen burn, were not his parents?
His mind quickly became a tempest of whirling thoughs, Conlan sought solace in a steel flask of bitter tasting liquid, which quieted his thoughts for but a moment, numbing the sharp pain inside his skull.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1042 on: November 17, 2009, 05:19:47 am »

"It is all ok Conlan my papa was odd too and I turned out alright."  She stretched her arms out wide, how that showed she was mentally stable Conlan did not know.  "And we can be there for each other so who your papa is wouldn't matter so much.  Because that is what the people in stories do and it seems to work for them."  Dear knew that stories were not life but she had no other real frame of view to work with so they would have to do for now.
Mina
Snr. Officer

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #1043 on: November 17, 2009, 04:00:48 pm »

Just as she began to turn away from the landscape stretched in front of her, Kat saw a handful of dark specks apear on the horizon. She looked again, but the 7-7 had just crested a dune, and she had to wait until they were on top of the next one. Just as the reached the top she saw the specks again, this time closer. As she watched, they became distinct, the forms of six or seven autos approaching quickly.

"Royce!" she called, pointing at the autos. "What do you think they could be all the way out here for? Not many people travled north of Sherwood on such small transportation. Not unless..." she trailed off, musing of what it could possibly mean.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1044 on: November 20, 2009, 11:11:38 am »

"You have a strange and fascinating wisdom about you, Your highness." Conlan stated, her worlds had the ability to sweep up just a few of the razor sharp shards of his own mental distress shattered now like a crystal strucken upon in the right place with a hammer

"Though a princess must be educated on more than just the works of the Grimm brothers," Conlan attempted to return to his role as the teacher for the lost princess. "Tomorrow we will begin your study on more classic literature. I beleive I have a copy of Dante Salieri's own...."
His eyes fell upon the somewhat sulking gaze of Beatrice. "Very well, I suppose we can start off somewhere smaller, Perhaps the works of this Charles Dickens fellow may be more to your liking."
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1045 on: December 03, 2009, 06:18:22 am »

Royce stood beside Kat, looking to where she was pointing.

"We're riding in the No Man's land between York and Lancashire. They may be sending autos out to patrol... maybe. For that reason this isn't the biggest place for bandits to go... too high a chance they just get taken care of by one of the military forces... with extreme prejudice."

He paused, continue to monitor.

"Let's just try to get to the rest point. Hopefully we can lose them going in there.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: