The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 08:42:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam and Sand Game Thread  (Read 50500 times)
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« Reply #1000 on: October 02, 2009, 09:07:37 am »

Royce sauntered back over to the 7-7. When Dear was done digging up bits of her past they could get set off again. He then noticed Skinner popping up and down in a bizarre manner by one of the windows while yelling out it.

"Kat, did you let Skinner into the rum rations?" he said irritably. "I mean, we just sobered her up after Sherwood."

He then heard Drake, turning around to him.

"And who are you?" he asked, suspicious of men just happening to show up at a hidden location like this.

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
Mina
Snr. Officer

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #1001 on: October 02, 2009, 09:51:53 pm »

"Of course I didn't!" Kat protested, but was glad that she didn't need to explain the situation.

She joined Royce on the ground and looked pointedly at Drake, still holding her gun despite his seemingly friendly output, should he be a threat to the crew.

Come take my journey into night
    Come be my shadow, walk at my side
    And when you see all that I have seen
    Can you tell me love from pride?
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1002 on: October 03, 2009, 06:56:38 am »

"Hm... Perhaps we should show this to the rest of the crew. I'm sure someone there can identify what it is..." Conlan said as he took the silvery board into his gauntlet-clad hands. He flicked and turned a few cubes, which felt oddly pleasing to some deeper recesses of his mind. He began to upturn and flip around the suspended cubes as he headed up the stairs toward the entrance with the game under his arm. As connor headed for the exit with Dear in tow, the machine's skeletal hand touched Dear's shoulder.

"Y-Y-Y-your Highnessss...M-M-May I ask you a faaavvor?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1003 on: October 03, 2009, 01:40:29 pm »

Dear liked the puzzle game a lot even if it did make her miss her mama a little bit. "Ok what do you want Mr. machine man?" Dear was hoping he did not ask her to fix him cause every time she tried to fix her toys they had only ended up more broken.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Smigg the Miserable
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Too much blood in my caffeine stream...

« Reply #1004 on: October 05, 2009, 10:44:31 am »

"Drake," he replied to the man who'd just emerged from the ruins, still maintaining his elevated position on the rock, "Drake Harrigan.  I'm a...  Well, I suppose you'd call me a treasure hunter."  He enjoyed introducing himself like this.  Made him sound more dashing and heroic.  It certainly beat some of the less friendly titles you got in this line of work - looter, grave robber, thieving git...  Adopting a slightly more relaxed stance, he continued.  "Now, given that you and your lovely friends," he motioned towards Kat and Skinner with his free hand, "are here as well I'm guessing you're also treasure hunters.  I would further surmise that we are both here for the exact same treasure.  Which obviously presents us with a conflict of interest.  One which I am keen, as I'm sure you yourselves will be, to resolve with a minimum of people getting shot or blown up.  So, who's in charge?"

When you're as brilliant as I am vanity ceases to be an issue.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1005 on: October 05, 2009, 05:11:57 pm »

"M-m-my Functions have been f-f-fulfilllleeeddd." Its metallic claws attempted to reach toward a flickering red switch. "I-i_i_have no more function."
The machine gave a plastic, artificial semblance of smile.
"P-p-p-please Shutttt me O-o-o-fff."

Conlan had placed the shiny, nimerical device on his hammoc, examining it from a distance for a moment before heading out to see the newcomer who was oh so curteously introducing himself.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1006 on: October 06, 2009, 05:43:07 am »

The metal hands lead Dear to a control panel full of buttons she didn't understand. After much debate she pushed the one with the moon on it.  She figured that the moon meant bedtime for her so maybe it meant it for the talking face as well. "Goodnight toy man." she said pushing the button. There was a low whirring sound as the lights slowly shut down.  "Good nnnight princess."  The face said taking on a calm expression like it was truly asleep. Dear came out as the lights went out inside the cave. There was a man standing between her and home.  She was unsure if he was bad or good so she pulled out her slingshot and aimed it at his backside.  Dear wasn't going to let anyone hurt her friends.
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1007 on: October 06, 2009, 04:58:34 pm »

"I'm the one in charge." said Royce. "And as for treasure, you're too late and out of a bit of luck. There's no way you could have gotten it anyways - we have a few... keys to some of the more difficult loot stashes here. You could see if there's anything else but we took most of it on board with us."

He stood ready, glad to see Dear was behind the man. He wasn't sure how he would react but however he did Royce felt better with a slingshot aimed at his back.
Smigg the Miserable
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1008 on: October 17, 2009, 04:17:20 am »

"Bollocks," muttered Drake, sounding annoyed, "I'd hope to get at least something out of this trip, after trudging all that way.  At least something to put towards a replacement for the truck..."  The treasure hunter could feel the presence of someone behind him, the tingle of something aimed at his back.  He wasn't in a strong negotiating position here, but these folk didn't seem too unreasonable - he might still be able to get part of what he came for...

Careful not to make his movements too sudden, he stepped forward and hopped down off the rock.  "I don't suppose you came across any books, did you?  Like a journal or something?  Not anything majorly valuable or anything, but what I'm looking for has got some historical interest for me and I thought I might find it here..."
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1009 on: October 17, 2009, 09:16:10 am »

Royce looked the man over. It wasn't everyone who asked for books. And almost never a specific book - most were fine with whatever the scholars and retro-building scientists would buy.

"We did pick up a lot." he said guardedly. "Though I'm wondering how one as yourself knows about this little stash? It's rather more... secret than the regular one."

His suspicions were raised. It could very well be this seeming treasure hunter was a very well informed Anglian agent after Dear. But, they did have him covered. It was unlikely they would send one man and there was nowhere for anyone else to hide from where he was standing. Or, so it seemed.

"What sort of journal? If you describe it and put up with having guns pointed at you for a little longer while I look for it, I'll be willing to hand it over, for a reasonable trade.
Smigg the Miserable
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1010 on: October 17, 2009, 11:03:12 pm »

"Everything gets written down somewhere," said Drake with a shrug, "You read the right stuff, hear the right things, put the pieces together and nothing stays secret forever."  He holstered his gun, and leaned nonchalantly back against the rock.  "The journal belonged to a scholar who worked for the house.  Would probably be leather-bound, with the name 'Damian Wetherly' on the front.  Nothing of much interest to the majority of researchers, but he's supposed to have spent a bit of time into something my father was also interested in.  Anyway, as far as trade goes, you wouldn't get much for the book itself - pocket money at best.  It's too obscure to be of more than passing interest to most folk.  But if I can have it, and a lift back to town, then I can give you a decent estimate of the value of the rest of your stash so you don't get shafted selling it on, and I can probably introduce you to people who'd be willing to give you a decent price for certain types of finds.  How's that sound?"
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1011 on: October 18, 2009, 02:07:33 am »

"Hrm." said Royce. "I'll let you look through the few books we picked up, but I must tell you that we're not heading back to Sherwood. We're going to be crossing north into York and then making for Hadrian Atrium. We will be restocking there and making any sales and purchases. If you're willing to head in that direction and go through on your promise, I think I shouldn't have any problem handing over the book. Deal?"

He extended a hand to shake. Meanwhile he turned his head to Skinner.

"Let's get the rig going. We'll pass into York soon but I don't think we'll get to Hadrian until the next day, probably fairly late. So let's make as good a run as we can today and find a place to hide the rig."
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #1012 on: October 18, 2009, 05:55:39 pm »

Kat watched as Royce shook hands with Drake, then with a sigh and a distrustful glance put away her weapon and hopped aboard the 7-7.

"Anything I can help you with?" she asked Skinner, dumping her bag of loot with the other finds of the day, glancing around for the mysterious journal Drake wanted. With a shrug she headed back to the main cabin and began shoveling coal to get the boiler up and running faster.
Skinner
Snr. Officer

Captain Charlotte J. Skinner, Airship Scalleywag

« Reply #1013 on: October 18, 2009, 06:15:11 pm »

Skinner was still half hidden when Royce turned to the engine to address her, peeking up from over the cabin window in case gunfire broke out. The coast seemed clear, so she hastily stood, hands open and empty for Drake to see.
"Yessir" she muttered at the hint to get going.

Turning to the controls, and nimbly stepping around Kat, she unlocked the tracks. She had kept the engine warm while the crew had been undergound- as much as she would have liked to look at all the loot they had snatched. She'd take a peek that evening, she promised herself.

"What yer doin' there is fine. Saves me doin' it at least!" She replied, smirking. She hadn't really spoken to Kat in a while. Nor anyone, in fact. She didn't want to chit-chat with Conlan- certainly not! As for his little pet princess, well, it was difficult to talk to her anyhow. Royce was always busy, naturally, Ben as quiet as ever (probably reading in his cabin, she supposed) and Scarlette, well... She barely got a proper sentence out around that young Gypsy. The only crew mate she had really talked to, properly chatted with, was poor Red on the way to the Isle. God rest his soul. Then Malc, and he was gone, too.

Maybe that Drake lad would be less... barmy.

Of course that's not to say that Kat was barmy. She seemed sane. Despite being Welsh.
"Speakin' O' which," Skinner abruptly said once everyone was onboard, and the engine had started to chug into life, quite forgetting that she hadn't been speaking aloud. "I can't recall if yeh've ever said much about yerself, Kat. If yeh have, I've plum fergotten but, I wouldn't mind hearing it again."
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #1014 on: October 18, 2009, 07:14:14 pm »

"Actually, I don't believe I have said anything about my life back at home" Kat said as she leaned the shovel against the wall beside her. "Well, if I can still call it home, that is. For all I know it's been burned down in another raid since I've left." She sat there and mused for a bit, wondering how things were back in the village she'd left behind.

"Well, both my parents died in the Event, but I don't remember that much. I think my brother was about ten or twelve when that happened, and he pretty much raised me, with the help of the crazy old lady we all called the medicine woman. There were various raids of brigands that came through every now and then, but one day, there was nothing left. Arthur and I came home to an empty shell. We had nothing, except what was with us already.." she absent mindedly fingered the locket around her neck, knowing every detail of the family portrait inside without looking. "Well, when that happened I knew I wasn't staying around any longer. I left that night while Arthur was sleeping, and ended up in Bromwicham. Spent a week or so trying to fit in, then after that, well, you know the rest."

Kat looked at the passing terrain, so very different from her old home. "But I'm glad it happened. I never would have dreamed of leaving that place or going treasure hunting, and yet here I am. Funny way things work out."
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1015 on: October 18, 2009, 09:45:18 pm »

Skinner nodded gravely.
"Sounds familiar, lass. The story sounds the same with a lot of your generation. My family were lucky to survive like we did, but, back in the early days post event, there were a lot less of us to keep track of, I suppose."
Frowning slightly, Skinner glanced over her shoulder.
"After all this is said an' done, when I've gotten enough money from my cut of this 'ere job, I'll be adding it to some savings I've got, well, erm, saved. I wanted to buy a big 'ouse fer Rosie an' little Jeremy an' me. But that- well."
She looked very thoughtful, chewing her lip, silently struggling to guesstimate the numbers in her head, whilst steeling her nerve against the heartache that thinking about Rosie caused her.
"I think that, now, I'll chip in that money I've been saving towards a bigger, better rig. This is my home, now. Might as well make it comfier!"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #1016 on: October 19, 2009, 03:50:37 am »

The man was not going to hurt her friends and Dear was tired of hiding in the rocks.  She stood and dusted herself off.  Still weary of strangers she entered the back of the rig avoiding the newcomer for now. Dear would listen and learn about him.  It seemed like she had so much learning to do and so many things forgotten but at least she remembered the number pictures.  She was starting to understand how much the crew had given up in sheltering her.  Maybe if she could keep finding them treasures perhaps the debt would be repaid but for now she wanted to wash the sticky gritty tree sap from her hands and try to read the papers that had come in the box with her princess name on it. They were important otherwise the Toy head man would not have been guarding them.  Dear wanted to know all about them and who the yellow haired woman in the picture was.  There were so many things to learn and she wanted to know them all.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1017 on: October 20, 2009, 04:09:11 am »

Conlan heard the conversation of a new rig and nodded approvingly as he leaned against the black steel walls of the old catterpillar-rig.
He held up a sack of coins.
"I suppose I could contribute. A new rig would be an excellent idea, and besides, Dear could use a new bed, the cot slides around when we move at night and she usually ends up falling off."

He had to admit, skinner was an odd one. A woman who acted far more masculine than any other male he had met outside of scotland or ireland was as common as a white crow, but one that was so willingly ready to sacrafice her dream was an action of selflessness he could not ignore.
He placed his hand on her shoulder and gave a nod of silent recognition.
"I've never thought of this place as a home, but I think that I could get used to calling it that."
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1018 on: October 20, 2009, 08:29:40 am »

Royce led Drake to the hammock that Malc had been using and showed him where he could put his belongings. He then took out the box of books he had gathered, after laying aside the notes that Dear had pointed out interest in. He sat across from Drake.

"That's all the books we took out of there. You can look to see if your journals in there. Just don't go damaging any of the other stuff. Some of it looks to be interesting stuff that'll make good cash."
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1019 on: October 20, 2009, 08:35:42 pm »

Skinner stiffened her shoulders when Conlan talked. She hadn't even heard him enter the cabin! Bristling with every word he said, she gripped the gear lever tighter and pushed the engine a little harder. How could that man sleep at night? Confusing the roles of teacher, father, and boyfriend the way that he did? Charlotte grimaced and stared forward at the dials.

She only really saw her own scowling expression reflected in the glass. She only vaguely understood which dial meant what. She couldn't read the more difficult labels, but she could certainly feel when something was right, or when something was terribly wrong.

She didn't, however, feel the hand on her shoulder until it was too late.

Reflexively she threw herself away from the touch, stumbling a little as she turned round to face Conlan, her hands curled into fists. She knew it was meant to be friendly, but she didn't feel herself too friendly towards the knight right now. Nor, did she care. She didn't like anyone, especially taller, stronger, broader men, walking up behind her with the intent to touch her.

"Keep thy bloody hands to thyself!" she snapped loudly, boardering on a shout. Her hands hovered above her belt to the revolver at her side, but she knew she couldn't draw it, load it, and fire in time for it to be worth her while. Instead, she just stood there, lip curled in a growl-like grimace of anger, distrust, and bitterness, her shoulders squared, fists tight, and hoped that Conlan would back off and leave her well enough alone.
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #1020 on: October 20, 2009, 10:58:31 pm »

Kat stepped in front of Skinner before she could do something she would regret, keeping an eye on Skinners gun. She looked between the two, ready to prevent any harsh words or physical contact that my ensue.

"Okay, just calm down, now. Conlan, you'd think you would've learned by now Skinner doesn't like being touched," She addressed the knight, "but Skinner, you have to learn to control yourself. We're all here for each other, so calm down! There's no need to fly at someone for trying to be friendly." Kat ended her rant rather shortly, and would not step back until she was sure Skinner had calmed down entirely.

"Well, now that we've sorted that out," and she left the cabin, eager to delve further into the books she'd borrowed.
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1021 on: October 20, 2009, 11:31:04 pm »

Skinner winced as Kat left the room. Just as she was starting to talk to someone again, she had inadvertently caused herself to look terribly unkind. Didn't help that Kat was a girl, too.

She was calm, in a way that children become calm against their will after being told off. She turned back to the controls and fell silent.
Smigg the Miserable
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1022 on: October 20, 2009, 11:49:20 pm »

Drake sat down and began to go through the books, picking them up one by one and studying them with an analytical eye.  "Hmm, this one's a Mortimer," he said, holding one out to Royce, "Pretentious pile of badly researched crap if you ask me, but some people just lap it up.  I know a guy back in London who'll pay stupid amounts for a mint copy like this."  He picked up another, looked at it for a moment and then chucked it onto the hammock with a derisive snort.  Then his eyes fell on the cover of a thin, red, leather-bound tome with gold script on the front.  He snatched it from the box and began flipping through its pages like a man possessed, his eyes gleaming.  Then with a cry of triumph he leaped to his feet and moved to a nearby table, pulling another book out of his pocket and putting the two down on the surface together.  He began to flicking between both of them, muttering to himself and occasionally exclaiming excitedly.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #1023 on: October 20, 2009, 11:55:41 pm »

Conlan held his hands up, as a sign that he had no intention to harm the irate woman.
"Apologies, Mis-er, uh Skinner."
He quickly remembered her preferred title.
"I did not mean to upset you. I am not very good at sociality and what have you. If I have done anything to make you angry, I'm very sorry."

He backed slowly out of the room, wondering why it was that skinner did not seem to like him very much. He supposed it was because she somehow found his nature dissagreeable.
'Well, I suppose I am a bit off-putting. And I did not announce my entrance.' He told himself he would do better next time and headed to his cabin, his thoughts of Skinner's hostility toward him immediately shut away as he recalled the oddly familiar device covered in numbers.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:06:14 am by Nigel Wetherby » Logged
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1024 on: October 21, 2009, 12:30:14 am »

"It doesn't matter much to me how good they are. Ben's a good scholar so I figure he can pick out what we can and can't use." said Royce. "Since we're going to Hadrian it's unlikely we'll be selling directly - not many wealthy or learned folks make their way that far north. But there're plenty of middlemen merchants who we can sell it to for an exorbitant price, after which they will sell it to someone else for an even more exorbitant price. Don't try swiping any extra. I've a good eye."

He then walked forwards in the rig. He'd heard the outburst. He moved to the cabin, looking out across the long shadowed afternoon. He was silent for a long while.

"I understand your animosity towards Conlan. You just have to realize he's from a different culture. And while it's hard to hate Dear I can see how you're put off by her as well. They're young and come with lots of trouble attached."

He paused again.

"But Connor is a good fighter, if you point him in the right direction. And Dear has potential as well. What it comes down to is that I promised them that they were a part of this crew, with all the benefits and all the strings attached. That means I'm in a way responsible for them and I can't have you blowing Connors brains out one day. So don't let it build. And as part of my crew they and you also have a promise to me, which I take seriously. That's why, even after he's... gone, I can't really forgive Red. Not fully. When one lives on the desert, oaths are often all one has. So I also have an expectation from you not to blow Connor away or otherwise endanger the crew or... complicate things."

He sighed.

"I'm a bit upset at the path we're forced onto but we don't really have a choice. We're going to need to trust Connor more and more the closer we get to killing Shamus. It's not a mission I feel is safe or our business, but if we want to stop being hounded it's something I have to do. I can't let Shamus endanger those who've I've made promises to and who have made promises to me. I don't want to be involved in politics and war any more. I don't want to be heading north and I don't want to be going into the blasted waste that is Scotland. But it's something I'm stuck with so I'm going to deal with it. Myself, if I have to."

He got up, moving to the doorway.

"But I'd appreciate your help."

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: