The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 09:11:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam and Sand: OOC and Character Thread  (Read 32717 times)
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 12:54:58 am »

Yeah, that's what I had in mind - Ireland is pretty isolationist and very feudal. So is he out of Ireland simply because his clan died? And I do like your idea for the knight armour. WWI is a bit ahead, but alot of the gritty feel of it suits the style so bits and pieces of it may pop up.....

I think I'll wait for Aeryenne and Alessio to get bios up and then I'll kick it off. Five people seems like a good idea for a close knit group. Plus, I am new at this so that feels like a number I can manage (not saying more people couldn't join later...five just feels right.) Speaking of which, thanks for showing interest and support. This is my first time at this so I appreciate the help getting this thing off the ground.  Smiley

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 12:58:51 am »

Well actually his plan is to find Shamus the Boar and kill him in single combat. However, you can't go off killing an entire tribe of nomad warriors without some companions and maybe a few tanks or the equivalent of such. as for personality. I think Conlan should be a generally noble guy, just a bit...detached when it comes to killing. Deep down he's disgusted at what he's become, but he doesn't let himself think about it by distracting his mind with guess what? Combat!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 01:00:30 am by Nigel Wetherby » Logged
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 01:02:17 am »

This sounds like a great setting. Mind if join? I have a pretty interesting character idea.

Steampunk Radio Play.
Now taking auditions.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16578.0
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

This Is My Fancy Picture Caption Quote

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 01:03:12 am »

The five people....

-VAP
-Nigel
-Alessio
-Aeryenne
-Titus
-JohnSix

Is that right?Also,I hope you accept my (attempt to)help,I like feeling involved in stuff,it might also help you feel less pressured to manage it eh?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 01:05:06 am by Judicator » Logged
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 01:47:05 am »

You can help as much as you want Judicator...but the final say comes down to those people in the Roleplay. And you can slip in for certain JohnSix. One more person is fine. Like I say - it's not volume or speed of posts but regularity. That even goes that I don't want two folks posting off each other for hours leaving the rest behind.  Smiley So I figure a smaller group of people will be easier to manage. Usually people just fall into a rythm that works...
JohnSix
Zeppelin Admiral
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Doctor of Magic

Johnsix
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 01:56:58 am »

Name: Benjamin Babbage

Appearance: Black scruffy hair, blue eyes, slightly shorter than average. Usually wears practical travelling clothes with lots of pockets. Always carries a backpack that contains three large books that he never lets out of his sight.
Also carries a long bolt action rifle sporting a large sniper scope with which he is a crack shot with.

Biography: After the Event, Cambridge University was one of the few places that didn't seem to go mad. The staff and the people from the nearby village banded together behind the old walls of the university which made it into a virtual fortress.

That's where Benjamin grew up. His father was a professor before the Event and ensured that his son got a good education. Benjamin seemed to have a nearly perfect memory and excelled in nearly every field of study. There being few other children in the little community, Ben spend most of his time absorbed in the Library. And by the time he was 15 he had read most of the books contained there. When he wasn’t reading he would usually be tinkering with the machines, improving them with little ideas picked up in the books or testing out some experiment from the scientific papers.

Unfortunately the community could not sustain itself due to lack of supplies and near constant bandit attacks. Most people emigrated to the nearby, emerging power of Anglia. An unlucky few, including Benjamin’s father, were killed when the bandits finally overcame the defenses. They took what little supplies there where and burnt the entire library to the ground. Luckily Benjamin had escaped with three of his favourite books.

For the following six years Benjamin has been offering his services and know-how to scavengers from all over England. All the while looking for more books and knowledge.

Most recently he has found hints of something very valuable just waiting for the taking.

Out of curiosity what year is the game set in?
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 01:57:46 am »

ill try to keep updates going regulary(like Geneveieve does for Realms of Aether)and help people stay caught up.
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 02:05:15 am »

Very good bio posts so far. Once it's all organized I'll start (I tend to watch this thread even if I don't post, so hopefully I'll keep up with everyone despite time difference.)

As for the year...I never really set one. I'm not sure if people even know what year it is....the exact one probably got missed in the years closest to the Event. And I haven't even really determined how far after the Event it is...long enough for new cities to be built up at least, and for people to start re-nationing themselves.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 03:45:49 am »

Would It be alright if I start?
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 03:50:47 am »

Well I sort of wanted to. But I also wanted to wait a bit for others to make bios....but if you're really impatient I can do the first post now.
Nigel Wetherby
Zeppelin Admiral

Knowledge eternal!

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 03:55:05 am »

I can wait till then. I'm just rather eager to play a steam-knight
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 03:58:28 am »

Well, I see no harm in me doing the first post and you doing one. Then the others can go on after that. I might not be on later...so I'll do an intro now.
Aeryenne Tederich
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Illusionist

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 10:24:50 am »

Name: Scarlette Delcroix

Occupation: 'Scavenger' - at least that's what she calls herself. Other people would call her a thief.

Appearance: Scarlette is quite small in stature, not much taller than 5'4", with relatively short black hair, greyish-green eyes and pale skin. She tends to wear practical clothes that are easy to get around in (or make escapes in, whichever is necessary) but she is a slave to "pretty things", which could be counted as one of her failings - she hates to leave sparkly things behind, which has led her into trouble on more than one occasion.
Always wears a long, dark brown leather trenchcoat and carries a very battered but beautifully carved miniature pocketwatch - these two objects are the only things she possesses that can still be called 'hers'.

Nationality: Born in Ireland, but left a few years before the Event, moving to London.

Weapon of choice: Scarlette prefers improvised weapons - a piece of broken glass, a wrench, a brick - anything she can lay her hands on, really. If there's nothing to hand, then out come the teeth and fingernails. Her fighting style is what could be called "extremely vulgar".

Attire: Scarlette tends to wear clothes that will blend in, in shades of brown and black. When outside she wears a bandana to shield her mouth, and more often than not a pair of goggles that otherwise stay perched on her head most of the time. As mentioned, she always wears a dark brown leather trenchcoat and also a pair of heavy leather boots - not the most practical of shoes for her profession, perhaps, but she's loathe to change them.

Background: Aeryenne was born in Ireland, to a group of travellers. She lived a contended life as a child, discovering from a very young age that she had light fingers and therefore swiping little trinkets from people whenever the chance arose. When she was 14, she got bored of the travelling life and upped and left for London, hoping to find a decent trade there.
There was none to be found for a girl of such young age, except only the most sordid, so Scarlette returned to what she'd been doing all her life - theft. This left her in good stead once the Event took place, as whilst other people had to adapt to suddenly scavenging for their necessities, she just carried on with what she'd been doing all her life, building up a hefty cache of spoils within an old abandoned warehouse.
But now she's looking farther afield. She wants to spread her limits and go for something bigger, something better - it's just a matter of what...

"A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity."
 - Robert Frost
Mina
Snr. Officer

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 03:05:11 am »

sorry, i kinda didn't read all of this thread before posting on the RP thread - i won't mind if you boot me off Smiley . I'm online constantly, so consistency isn't a problem.
Character bio below (if i'm allowed to stay^-^)  :

Name: Katherine (Kat) Doyle

Occupation: none, does various odd jobs around, but mostly searches coal trenches for treasures. could be called a 'freelance scavenger'

Appearance: looks wiry at a glance, but actually well muscled. 5'4" tall. Long red hair, green eyes, freckles. Scar along the inside of her left arm, usually covered up.

Nationality: grew up in slum "village" in the mountains of Wales, moved to London recently for monetary issues

Weapon of choice: flintlock, modified spanner for up close

Attire:  Leather vest, rough stained cotton blouse. Old gloves, military boots, mens work trousers. makeshift goggles recently acquired at a pawn shop to protect her face while scavenging in the desert.

Background: born in Wales, Kat's parents died when she was only a few years old. ever since she's lived with her older brother, Arthur, and the two somehow managed to scratch out a living. When there home was robbed of what little they had by the newest inhabitants of a nearby fortress, Kat decided to leave for London, intending to make more money than in Wales and send it back home to her brother, who has no idea of her plans. though Kat is young and new to the world, she is eager for independence and to prove herself to those around her. she seldom talks of her past, and is slow to trust someone, though she won't show her distrust outwardly.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 10:33:23 pm by Mina » Logged

Come take my journey into night
    Come be my shadow, walk at my side
    And when you see all that I have seen
    Can you tell me love from pride?
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 03:53:56 am »

Sure, if you're up to it, feel free to join. I suppose I wasn't really preparing myself for this many people joining. But if you are truly interested, hop on board.

Oh, for everyone else, forgot to mention - for geography, the starting Atrium is roughly arounds where Birmingham would have been.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:56:52 am by Vancouver Air Privateer » Logged
Skinner
Snr. Officer

Captain Charlotte J. Skinner, Airship Scalleywag

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 08:32:03 pm »

Name: Charlotte J. Skinner

Occupation: Former Captain of the Amelia Airheart, Airship Pirate Pilot

Appearance: Skinner is a modest 5'6", but square in the shoulder and strong in the arm. She has the marks of battle and hard, manual work on her flesh and voice. Her nose has a thick scar running across the bridge, and is usually smudged with soot and oil around the jaw and cheeks. She has the faintest dusting of freckles, which seems to match her Tangerine-Ginger hair, that is tangled and knotted, pulled into a ponytail, and sporting messy, uneven bangs. Her eyes are a deep blue, and skirted with dark shadows from wind burn and sleepless nights. She speaks hoarsely from shouting over desert winds, and also perhaps by choice, as if to make herself sound formidable.

Nationality: Born in the port of Brizzle (Bristol to you and I), Free Lands of Mercia. The Local Yokel.

Weapon of choice: A cutlass for close quarters combat, and a revolver in a pinch.

Attire: A tan-coloured Duster coat, reminiscent of the Western cowfolks she stole it from. A blue flannel shirt, in the typical check style, black suspender left untucked and long over her sturdy blue jeans. Around her hips was a leather utility belt, with a scabbard for the cutlass on one side, and a holster on the other for the revolver. Her feet are clad in heavy steel-toed leather boots, with boot-straps helping her maintain grip on the terrain as well as hold the cuffs of her jeans in place over them, to keep the sand out. Lastly, a wide brimmed hat, her tinted Sun-goggles resting against the peak, and a red afgan scarf was wrapped around her neck, ready to be pulled up over her nose.

Background:
Skinner was born into a humble family, first born and namesake of a merchant trader that worked first with the sea out of Bristol Harbour, and next with the sky as dirigible travel became a popular and useful form of transport.
Soon after her birth, her family exploded. She is one of Seven, and an extra four orphans that her kind hearted mother couldn't bare to turn away. She became used to living on bread alone and learnt to take joy in the simple things, and making the most of the valuable asset that is the family unit. She became, despite her roguish self, an optimist.
She joined her father when she was young and should have been going to school, and has subsequently lost out on education- she has the reading age of a seven year old, and the handwriting of a drunken ox with no hooves. She has trouble with basic mathematics, but can add and subtract fine- that's all you need in trade, anyhow, as long as you have smart folk somewhere in your crew.
Her real boon is in her experience- she has a gentle hand on machines, and has performed many tasks for Queen and Country, at least, before The Event. She's better with a sword than she is with a gun, and is frankly a poor shot if she's on the run and under pressure.
After The Event, she leant heavily on her skills in merchantry and took an avid interest in the Scavengers, dabbling in it herself, as well as searching for new ways to exploit the desert terrain of this strange new England- namely, the secretive production of Opium.

((Did I do it right?))
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:58:09 pm by Skinner » Logged
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 08:59:03 pm »

That will work fine. Any details that could be issues can be smoothed over in game. The only vague thing is my fault really, being the time the Event occoured, so how old someone would be to remember it. Still, it's fine and feel free to join before the crew sets out. Good to have someone a bit more intimidating if we should run into anything. Smiley
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 09:49:32 pm »

Figures that my first post would lead me into trouble... >]
Alessio
Officer

Aspire not to have more, but to be more

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2009, 10:03:37 pm »

I'll post a bio now, but atm its a bit hard getting on the computer. My parents have me doing 5-6 hours revison a day, so my computer time is sparse >.< Sorry if my posting is sporadic/ sparing Sad

Name: Alessio Joseph Williamson

Occupation: Mercenary mechanic. Happy to lend his skills to anyone willing to pay.

Appearance: Mid-height and trim, Alessio had brown hair and lightly tanned skin, with blue eyes. His hair is slicked and spiked by the amount of grease he gets in it, and his face of normally dusted with dirt, barring a pair of circles around his eyes where he had his goggles when he works. He is not muscluar but he has ample muscle strenght to lift his slieght frame around the crawlspaces and engines where he works.

Nationality: British (but he describes himself as 'Celtic')

Weapon of choice: A LeMat revolver under his right arm, a small pistol (unknown origin) in an unpside-dwon holster under his left arm (for fighting in tight environments) a blowtorch that has been modified to fire a jet of flame over short distances (6ft or so) several tools about his person, and a packet of cigarettes which actually contain small laser weapons and suchlike (weak and mostly one shot)

Attire: (From head to toe) On his head he wears a pair of tight goggles, (so they dont restrict his movement) which he often pushes up onto his forehead. Around his neck he has a loose piece of cloth that he can pull up and use as a dust mask when needs be. On his torso he wears an oil stained white shirt, with a leather waistcoat fastened over the top which has a single top pocket where he keeps his cigarettes (and cigarette weapons). A pair of bracers are on his wrists, each with small tools that he might need to access quickly, along with a sharpened file he uses for a stabbing weapon when needs be. Around his waist he wears a double belt, one holding a selection of tools, and the other holding his blowtorch and spare fuel canisters. His legs are clad in loose denim jeans, and he wears leather boots.

Background: Alessio is largely unknown until he becomes eleven years of age, when he leave the Engineers garage he is entrusted to to go out in search of glories and riches. Over the years he signs with several mercenary crews, learning the trade, taking his cut and then moving on to the next crew willing to hire him. Twice he served with nations navies, and once he even served on a pirate ship, though it ended badly (the ship was destroyed from within, and only Alessio managed to get out alive from the firey inferno by going out on 'recon' in a small gunship before the explosion). He has made many friends over the years, including several underworld contacts, which he finds very useful indeed.
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009, 10:24:47 pm »

-pointedly shuts Skinner's mouth ICly for a bit so she can take a shower-
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 11:07:34 pm »

I like this idea, could one join a bit later than right now (or is it already too late)?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 11:20:36 pm »

whoa,i need to pay more attention lol
Mina
Snr. Officer

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2009, 11:26:35 pm »

I like this idea, could one join a bit later than right now (or is it already too late)?

i think it would be acceptable for you to jump in late in the story, just so long as there's a reason for it.
Skinner
Snr. Officer

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2009, 11:31:37 pm »

Ooh, maybe Mr Bailey could jump in on our first scavenging site, or perhaps he could be a member of a rival crew, or the owner of a rig willing to sell that joins the crew?

I'm off to bed folks, and I will be MIA tomorrow night, as I'll be going to a Steamy meet on Saturday. But I'll be back Saturday night, hopefully. Night night, and thanks for letting me play!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:59:37 pm by Skinner » Logged
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2009, 12:10:18 am »

Wow, glad to see this blossomed. Sorry for lack of posts, the time difference meant I was sitting in school. As the creator I'll try to keep up.

Well, nice little crew we managed to get! Seven folks at table seven....very good luck for starting. I think the crew is ready to set off, but there is opportunity for others to come in with other positions...I like the idea of rival crews. With treasure of that value, some political powers may even be interested.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:53:42 am by Vancouver Air Privateer » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: