The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 06:53:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A request from an old friend.  (Read 1448 times)
professortucker
Gunner
United States United States

« on: May 03, 2009, 12:25:29 am »

Ladies, and Gentlemen of course,

I have hit quite a conundrum. I work with jewelry, specifically wire-wrap jewelry, however, I have lately been working on casting rings and things of that nature, and I would like to know how much the average silver ring weighs.

If anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Professor Delphinius S. Tucker.

Professor (SFC) Tucker of Her Majesty's Royal Airship Corps.
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 12:33:58 am »

If I remember, I'll weigh my wedding ring when I next go in the kitchen (it's silver, rather than the more usual gold...)

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
anno
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 01:31:45 pm »

Well, pure silver has a specific density of ~11 grams/cm^3, so it really depends on how bulky a ring you're going for!
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 03:11:47 pm »

The weight seems like it really would depend on the ring in question; I have seen some that have long fancy parts with jewels inlaid, they are chunky and much larger than the thin plain silver ring I have seen on my grandma's hand. Thier weight would differ considerably- even with jewels removed.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
raven1962
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:51:50 am »

One problem you may run into is oxidation, which makes silver turn black.  Another problem you'll run into is how soft silver is.  Sterling silver is really weak and deforms easily.  So-called "White Gold" actually has silver in the mix and is much harder than silver or gold...
twilightbanana
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 11:38:47 am »

One problem you may run into is oxidation, which makes silver turn black.  Another problem you'll run into is how soft silver is.  Sterling silver is really weak and deforms easily.  So-called "White Gold" actually has silver in the mix and is much harder than silver or gold...

Oxydation will eventually turn silver black, yes. It polishes back up quite easily though. Storing the piece with a tarnish-inhibiting material when it isn't being worn also helps.

Sterling silver (92,5% silver, 7,5% alloying metals, mostly copper) is considerably stronger than fine silver (99,9% pure silver). How easily any metal object deforms also has a lot to do with how much the metal is hardened. White gold, like all gold, is extremely expensive even compared to silver.

Argentium is a brand name for a new type of sterling silver. One of the alloying materials is germanium, which helps keep down firescale (oxidation forming on silver when it is heated) and makes it tarnish less.

How much a ring weights depends on a lot of factors. You might as well ask how much a potato weights: small ones weight less than big ones, big weight more. If you want to be sure you're getting the right amount of casting grain, check if the store you're buying from will let you return the unused portion, and get more than you know you'll need
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: