The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:20:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assistance Please - Source & Help Needed to Replace Wood Gear Clock 110V Motor  (Read 4472 times)
markf
Goggleologist
United States United States

« on: May 02, 2009, 10:12:45 pm »

I’m finally fixing this 110v-electric wood gear clock, circa 1980s, from Clockworks Inc. (Sun Prairie, Wisconsin).  Value: $100 -150.

The motor says it is a ‘Synchron”, and on its side is written: “630  110V 60CY  4W  30RPM  K180LA 6-3-82”.  It is about 2 inches in diameter by 1.5 inches tall.

I’ve got the gist of it – volts, 110 volts/60 cycles/4 watts and the build date – but the motor powers only the top of 4 wood gears, which is the ‘second hand’, ie, 1 RPM.  This gear 1 powers all the other gears – the minute/gear 2 and hour/gear 4, with an additional step down wood gear between those gears 2 and 4).

Question # 1 of 2:
I need to replace the electric motor and I was wondering if anyone knows a source.  I was googling but I’m not certain what I’m looking for.

Question # 2 of 2:
The motor says 30 RPM, but its output at its shaft turning the top gear (the ‘second hand’ / 60 seconds per revolution wood gear) is 1 RPM.  Is there some internal step down gearing inside the motor, or are they playing with my head when the motor casing reads 30 RPM but is outputting 1 RPM? 

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 02:35:40 am »

I'll ask my watchmaker on Monday, he does a lot of clock repairs.  I think that  the 110v stuff has been largely superceded by battery powered movements, but if anyone knows a source , it will be Al..

Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:24:19 pm by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 02:48:18 pm »

Thanks HAC.  The clock & gears are solid wood, the whole thing probably weighs 20+ lbs, so perhaps that is why then went with an electric motor rather than batteries since although it is pretty finely balanced there's still a lot of wood hardware to turn, and 110-120V motors are high in torque.  markf
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 04:29:24 pm »

Some digging suggests that "Synchron" might be made by Hansen Synchron .. Might be worth contacting them to see if they have paerts..

http://www.hansen-motor.com/clock-timing-devices.php

Cheers
Harold
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 06:26:25 pm »

Based on their website it might well be a "Round Chart Drive" which would be one of their motors with a gear chain attached that takes it down to 1 RPM.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
clockdug
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 10:09:59 pm »

Try here; page 36 top right hand movement.  That's a Hansen A-43RA that seems to match the stats on yours for $23.50 other than having a pinion attached. 
http://www.clock-keys.com/pdf/Categories/movements.pdf

Timesavers has always been very helpful to me; they may can give some more guidance if that movement isn't the right one.

markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 12:12:18 pm »

Ah, excellent.  HAC and Zwack, I sent an email with my photo to the section in the Hansen website on getting replacement motors, so I expect they'll come thru. And Clockdug your Clock-Keys website does indeed also have a very nice identical replacement motor, so that will work too. 

Now the only thing I now have to watch out for, which I only discovered yesterday (which I should have realized earlier, as in years earlier) was the top wood gear actually spins counterclockwise, so I need to make certain my replacement motor does the same.  So how did I make this brilliant deduction - by watching the top wood gear turn the 'wrong way' over the years?  Nooo..... one of our BG members read this thread and PM'd me this too pricey Ebay link with the same motor and the ad said it turns counterclockwise, then I realized, 'oh that's right, my 1st gear actually does run backwards'.  Doh!  markf 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220396833405&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: