The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 08:56:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Gentlemen and Lady's Club for Eccentrics.  (Read 12066 times)
steampunkgrrrl
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2009, 08:54:14 pm »

Lovely house Sgt. Thistlewaite.  Grin

*drinking an empty teacup* Hm? What was that? No, I've done my own hair for years. The snakes refuse it otherwise....
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2009, 03:48:15 am »

Snakes, you say? Intriguing...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
steampunkgrrrl
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2009, 03:28:39 pm »

Yes. Yes, you see the snakes. In my hair. They need to be watered regularly. *pouring a waterer on her head* Otherwise they won't grow.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2009, 03:33:39 pm »

oh, yes, I do see, one can't have dormant snakes in one's hair.
steampunkgrrrl
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2009, 03:34:52 pm »

Finally, someone who gets it. These doctors just won't believe me, and I can never make them understand.........more tea? *pouring an empty pot*
Nikola Tesla
Zeppelin Captain

Angel of Timefoolery

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2009, 03:39:52 pm »

These doctors just won't believe me, and I can never make them understand.........

Doctors don't, generally...in my case, I tell them what I am afraid of and they laugh...no, I am through and done with doctors...

"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.
steampunkgrrrl
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2009, 03:41:24 pm »

The problem with doctors is they don't live in our world. *taking a bite of thin air* But it's no fun to live in theirs.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2009, 06:21:37 am »

Indeed.
steampunkgrrrl
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2009, 03:56:41 pm »

I mean look at them. *points to an obvious one* They all look so unhappy. And constipated.

*stops the doctor walking by**whispers* I say, you do know that they have ex-lax in the nurses' station, right?

*going back to her seat*
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2009, 08:18:46 pm »

They all look so desperately unhappy because they are all too aware of all the unlikely illnesses/injuries that can carry us off this mortal coil.  Ergo they're always thinking along the lines of 'what if the ceiling fell down right now?'  And so it follows that they just cannot put such melancholy thoughts out of their minds, which shows.   

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Reni Valentine
Zeppelin Captain

see here, Gus - nobody chaperones the chaperone

Reni_Valentine
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2009, 12:40:12 pm »

well i suppose if the ceiling fell right now it would muss my hair then. pity, i do so like a Sunday morning. did anyone see the little man in blue? he said he had a lamp for me...

In all reality, "steampunk" is anachronistic, innit? Otherwise it's just Victorian dress-up.

chain smokin', sleep needin', apparel designin', mohawk havin', tea drinkin', steady cursin', boy charmin', card readin' rabble-rouser and amusement park cleverly disguised as a woman

TS245
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2009, 12:49:07 pm »

If the ceiling were to fall right now it'd put a sudden stop to proceedings (I'm sat beneath a 4-inch thick timber ceiling beam as I write this.)
Reni Valentine
Zeppelin Captain

Reni_Valentine
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2009, 02:21:52 pm »

*looks up*

well i suppose if this ceiling were to fall it would only muss my bow. if the ceiling upstairs were to fall there would be such a terrible ruckus that the man would never come back with my lamp. it was such a lovely lamp. it was the world and i wanted it so. it told me secrets and could answer questions.

what time are we upon and where do i belong? i find i'm far more lucid before i've had my morning sprinkle candy.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2009, 08:23:34 pm »

I say, little quiet round here.  Got just the thing that'll liven things up- Private Baldrick's Big Book of War Poetry. 

This one's called The German Guns:

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM;
BOOM BOOM BOOM.
BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM,
BOOM BOOM BOOM.

*passes megaphone to whomever is brave enough to recite next*
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2009, 12:02:51 am »

I like this thread. It's so - normal. And it makes me wonder what behaviour would be eccentric enough to actually entitle one to become a member of this club? I assume it would have to be so normal that it appears eccentric!
An example. Several years ago, whilst on the train, on my way back from a business meeting in Manchester, I was sitting finishing off some notes on my lap-top (that's a whole string of eccentric behaviour there if you ask me!) - I became aware of a lovely lady of mature years sitting opposite me, beaming a beautiful smile. I am not sure now which came first in the conversation, the fact that she had to wear a hat all the time, or the fact that the third eye - in the top of her head - could see into the next dimension - another world (and only the other world - it wasn't a normal eye - of course!) We talked politely about what a bother it was being distracted by all the things that were going on in the other world, particularly so as some of them were rather unpleasant but she was far too polite to expand on that point. Wasn't it a problem when she went to bed or had a shower, say? Well, yes it was, but she had devised an aluminium foil skull cap which did the job and she could wash her hair a part at a time. We had a wonderful chat and London arrived far too soon for me. I did not then and do not now consider this lovely person an eccentric in a disparaging way. She certainly had an experience which made her orbit in this life slightly off course to the ones we are more familiar with. She had an unusual problem in her life, which fortunately for us we don't, and she had worked out a way, quite clearly and logically, how to live with the consequences of it. So, I am more than happy to occupy my own, perfectly normal orbit. If the apogee and perigee seem extreme compared to some others' then so be it. Who is to decide which is the 'more' correct?

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
steamtastic
Snr. Officer
England England

"It starts with S and ends in PUNK..."

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2009, 10:28:42 pm »

i see what you mean.
i had a problem with pickled onions once.
solution? i moved on to Gerkins

Each Man is in his Spectre's power
Until the arrival of that hour
When his Humanity awake -William Blake
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2009, 12:47:30 pm »

I bought a pocket telescope yesterday. 

I can't fathom why this caused such a ruckus in the office or produced exclaimations of 'why?' when I announced an intention to put it on a chain and wear it in the manner of pince-nez. 

I mean, it's perfectly normal to put stuff carried in pockets on chains so they don't go walkabout, is it not?  Watches and keys come instantly to mind as examples.  Some people are so arbitrary when they decide what they think is 'weird'.   
Reni Valentine
Zeppelin Captain

Reni_Valentine
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2009, 01:10:51 pm »

I bought a pocket telescope yesterday. 

I can't fathom why this caused such a ruckus in the office or produced exclaimations of 'why?' when I announced an intention to put it on a chain and wear it in the manner of pince-nez. 

I mean, it's perfectly normal to put stuff carried in pockets on chains so they don't go walkabout, is it not?  Watches and keys come instantly to mind as examples.  Some people are so arbitrary when they decide what they think is 'weird'.   

i used to wear a locket full of teeth. then there was an airship calamity and all the teeth were shattered. i think it's sentimental. everyone else called it creepy.
AlandraD
Snr. Officer

Lady of Leisure

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2009, 02:02:36 am »

oh this club! *mutters to her tiny clay pandas* no mr buttersworth, this isn't the time to go swimming. You'll come all mushy then complain about swimsuit fashion again. I simply wont have it! Tilty and Muffin, get out of the cotton candy this instant! I wont tell you again, that is for Frankenpanda when he comes back from the dentist. I dont care what Monkeydoo told you, it it's, nor has it ever been, a water park!

Pandas... *throws up hands* cant live with em, cant stop making them.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2009, 10:54:18 am »

oh this club! *mutters to her tiny clay pandas* no mr buttersworth, this isn't the time to go swimming. You'll come all mushy then complain about swimsuit fashion again. I simply wont have it! Tilty and Muffin, get out of the cotton candy this instant! I wont tell you again, that is for Frankenpanda when he comes back from the dentist. I dont care what Monkeydoo told you, it it's, nor has it ever been, a water park!

Pandas... *throws up hands* cant live with em, cant stop making them.

Have you tried koalas?
AlandraD
Snr. Officer

Lady of Leisure

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2009, 06:17:14 pm »

I have not sir. My house shall be swarming with pandas to sell to help a panda charity TBD. Is there a need for koala making for a koala charity? i wouldn't want to start a tiny marsupial vs bear war in my house. the tiny clay carnage that would ensue!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2009, 08:41:27 pm »

A terracota army could keep them away from each other's throats, you know. 
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2009, 01:33:11 am »

but where is the blasted marmalade ?!

I am a freak in control not a control freak
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2009, 01:55:28 am »

Under your seat old chum. I'm afraid the busboy spilt it earlier.

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2009, 02:51:17 am »

At various times my daughter's fiancé has called in question some of my tastes, but generally, given time, comes to appreciate them. The example that stays with me particularly was a dish of rice prepared hastily when I was hungry. Rather than trouble myself with further preparations, I added a little "Barbecue" sauce and some grated cheese which, while it might seem an odd meal at first, is actually very palatable (or so I find it, at least).

The gentlemen I still consider to be a little eccentric were the research biochemists in whose laboratory I worked briefly; they kept a camping stove on the library table because "if we left a box of matches there, some scoundrel would always remove them. And then we should have nothing with which to light our cigarettes." Somebody suggested gluing the matches to the table, but as someone else pointed out, one of the gentlemen working there was of an exceptionally athletic build, and if he wanted matches badly enough, would no doubt remove the table together with the matchbox!

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: