The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 03:21:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duels  (Read 12283 times)
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

As many steps ahead of this claim as I want to be.

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2007, 04:09:02 am »

OMG....

...........Could one fire a paintball from a flintlock pistol?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 04:10:33 am by Fantômas » Logged

" 'I' Is For 'Infamy' "
Simon Hogwood
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Adventurer & Scholar

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2007, 04:29:39 am »

I suppose it's technically possible, but I rather suspect that a powder charge sufficient to propell the paintball any distance would burst it in the barrel. I could be wrong, of course - it's not like I've ever tried it.  Wink

"The laws of the land mean nothing to a man with a giant mechanical spider!" - Jake of All Trades

"The only clue to my secret obsession is one completely badass hat." - Jacob Squirrel
Enoch Tremaine
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2007, 04:49:08 am »

Easy solution then: a clockwork firearm with dense coil spring actuator en lieu of gunpowder.  No smoke, no bang (unless planned), just sting and stain.  For the light budget, 2 coconut halves held by the second could suffice for any necessary special effects.
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2007, 04:52:04 am »

and now my honnor has been violated. You sir have a duel from me.

Oh my. Is there no way for me to provide restitution? Or will I have to spend my energy on designing an oil gun instead of a mechanical/nixie clock?

C.S.

Quite so. -_Q

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
Tinker
Snr. Officer

Edisonade adventurer and maker of gadgets.

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2007, 07:10:47 am »

I suppose it's technically possible, but I rather suspect that a powder charge sufficient to propell the paintball any distance would burst it in the barrel. I could be wrong, of course - it's not like I've ever tried it.  Wink

The best solution to my mind is to use the frame and barrel of a flintlock deuling pistol, and apply an air conversion of the type used in the eighteenth centuries.  There was an air bottle under the barrel, and the hammer of the flintlock had a block of metal clamped instead of a flint, such that upon the trigger pull, the metal block pounded a rod that knocked open the valve of the air bottle.  A single shot paintball pistol could thus be made that would answer both the demands of honor and the demands of fashion.

http://www.beemans.net/images/4-Ant.-Pneu.jpg

Note in this picture the mechanism of the rifle second from the left, which has a conversion of the type I mention. 

Of course, we could just dip the nerf swords in engine oil and swing away...

A.
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2007, 07:21:56 am »

'I have a cunning plan my lord!'

For those wishing to duel a moderated system is currently being worked on for the board.  Cool

What do you mean, like an RP thing? Or what? I wanna duel,dang it!

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
Tinker
Snr. Officer

Edisonade adventurer and maker of gadgets.

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2007, 07:40:23 am »

Easy solution then: a clockwork firearm with dense coil spring actuator en lieu of gunpowder.  No smoke, no bang (unless planned), just sting and stain.  For the light budget, 2 coconut halves held by the second could suffice for any necessary special effects.

Normally, I'd want a second with a pair of coconut halves if I was JOUSTING, but what is the function for pistol deuling?

Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2007, 11:30:38 am »

Normally, I'd want a second with a pair of coconut halves if I was JOUSTING, but what is the function for pistol deuling?

Grin Wink
Tinker, thank you for a wonderful mental image. Two steampunk gentles charging at one another with ragmops dripping with colored oil or perhaps black printer's ink, whilst their seconds feverishly smack a statcato tattoo on coconut halves. If I am ever challenged to a duel, I reserve the right to choose that as my preferred form. 

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
ClockworkDragonfly
Deck Hand

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2007, 09:32:02 pm »

so they have, perhaps I should read more closely.

correction: "it's all fun and games until someone gets oil in their mouth."

Erm, sorry again, not a problem either. Wink That is why I also suggested using cooking oil dyed with food coloring (does that even mix with oils?). Modern engine oils are toxic to some degree, but we already ruled them out.

Apart from the mess then I believe oil duels could be made socially perfectly tolerable.  Grin

I believe they do make oil soluble food coloring agents. Most of the over the counter stuff is water soluble, however, and would just suspend in the oil.
ClockworkDragonfly
Deck Hand

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2007, 09:38:54 pm »

Actually, oil filled or otherwise paintballs would not be that far out, since rifled and ball type ammunition was widely available due to enterprising Americans during the American Civil [sp] War on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line.  So long as the dye in question was non-toxic and the duelers wore 'disposable' clothing...or if the dye was non-permanent and easily cleaned.  Of course the other question is PSI, since I recently saw a female acquaintance who had been paintballing, and had a rather large broken-skin bruise on her leg from a paintball, through two layers of thick cloth.  Low PSI, just enough to break the skin of the paintball, but not the skin of the duelers.

Goggles go without question, as they are verily de rigeur.

The question of PSI would be a difficult one at best. Depending on the brand of paintball, ambient air pressure, fill pressure of the paintball, etc almost every brand of paintball breaks at a different pressure. Some of the budget ones fail to break open at all or open so easily as to misfire and slime the entire barrel. Most injuries, such as the one your acquaintance sports, are caused by balls that fail to burst (and thusly release all their energy) and instead transfer all their energy to the point of impact.
ClockworkDragonfly
Deck Hand

« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2007, 09:44:05 pm »

Grin Wink
Tinker, thank you for a wonderful mental image. Two steampunk gentles charging at one another with ragmops dripping with colored oil or perhaps black printer's ink, whilst their seconds feverishly smack a statcato tattoo on coconut halves. If I am ever challenged to a duel, I reserve the right to choose that as my preferred form. 

And that of course spawns images to me of them mounted upon Victorian bicycles as well.
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2007, 10:59:46 pm »

Pennyfarthing jousting?
 Shocked Huh
ClockworkDragonfly
Deck Hand

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2007, 11:32:46 pm »

Pennyfarthing jousting?
 Shocked Huh

Thank you... I, for the life of me, could not remember the name "penny farthing" for some odd reason. I get images of goggled gentlemen in fine dress, oil mops at the ready, charging forward on modified penny farthings.
Raindrops For Tears
Gunner

« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2007, 11:34:48 pm »

Only just started reading this thread. Air guns were mentioned earlier as not being entirely appropriate to the genre, I had something niggling away at the back of my memory till i rediscovered this article in Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_rifle#History

And I'm sure some Johnny foreigner chap (Kaiser or Fredrich or some such) used to use one for hunting as well.

Tears
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2007, 05:49:07 am »

Only just started reading this thread. Air guns were mentioned earlier as not being entirely appropriate to the genre, I had something niggling away at the back of my memory till i rediscovered this article in Wiki

And I'm sure some Johnny foreigner chap (Kaiser or Fredrich or some such) used to use one for hunting as well.

Tears

I don't know that it was explicitly stated that air guns wouldn't be appropriate, it sort of seems like that would b e the case at first consideration though. really I guess it is all about how well it's done.

Now i am really curious about period airguns... Smiley
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2007, 05:58:56 am »

Air pressure is good but...

Is it not interchangeable with, say, the vapor generated when a certain common liquid is heated to 100*C?  Grin

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2007, 06:36:34 am »

Pennyfarthing jousting?
 Shocked Huh

I LIKE IT!

...why did I not notice this post before...?

Air pressure is good but...

Is it not interchangeable with, say, the vapor generated when a certain common liquid is heated to 100*C?  Grin

I thought this to but if one did this would it not melt a paintball?
Also the idea of holding something so hot in my hand seems unattractive.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 06:41:24 am by Fantômas » Logged
Copper Sulphate
Zeppelin Captain
Denmark Denmark

Teslarian Electrosteam Contraptor

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2007, 09:46:47 am »

[Snippety.]

well, what I precisely said was that

I would prefer a super soaker 'light' model type of gun, shooting a stream of liquid oil. A paintball is a bit too ... modern for my liking.  Wink

I certainly hope that couldn't be interpreted like I was saying that air guns were generally inappropriate, full stop.  Cheesy

But before I do myself an injury and create topic drift, I would suggest we start suitable threads over in our most excellent Tactile forum for the discussion of the technical pros and cons of different types of personal duel armaments. This thread I believe was discussing the issue on whether we should have duels. ("Aye!!" yelled the crowd enthusiastically.) Wink

C.S.

July 19th, 02009: Lab project delayed. Local home 'improvement' stores have apparently stopped carrying any kind of quality DIY materials... Huh
July 15th, 02009: Much progress was made today on clearing out my future laboratory, yet there is a ways to go still.
Johnny Payphone
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Contraptor/ Metalworker/ Bicycle builder

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2007, 09:53:11 am »

Pennyfarthing jousting?
 Shocked Huh

We had a spot of pennyfarthing jousting at Bike Kill this year.  See

http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=267968

Steampunk life in the living world:
http://www.johnnypayphone.net/blog.php
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2007, 10:21:36 am »

Oh no...and I missed it Sad
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2007, 11:45:21 am »

That's a great link!
Thanks Master Payphone.
mr gilbert flint
Officer

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2007, 12:45:54 am »

i think i have found the answer. instructables have a pirate cannon build on the site.whilst not the best looking i think it would be easy to do better .and just think of facing off with one of those pointed at you. Grin

I'M THE DANDY SKYWAY MAN(almost adam and the ants)
member of the P.I.R.A.T.E.S council
hannas_kiwi
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2007, 05:29:39 pm »

Voltaic Sabres
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2007, 05:48:07 am »

Everybody, since i've challenged so many people i'm going to need a second. Anyone willing?
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2007, 07:25:25 am »

i think i have found the answer. instructables have a pirate cannon build on the site.whilst not the best looking i think it would be easy to do better .and just think of facing off with one of those pointed at you. Grin
There is a great duel fought with cannons in one of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle books. More sailpunk than steam, I realize, but still... low power cannons firing nerf or someother spongy spheres... sounds like a fun day in the park to me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: