The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 09:30:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend some easy techniques for embellishing & fancying up a build  (Read 1639 times)
Bailywolf
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: April 29, 2009, 02:54:36 pm »

Still working my raygun builds, and wanted to fancy them up- the term I'd use would be "pimp them out".  Engraving, filigree, greebles and nurnies, flutey swirly bits, fins...  once I have the basic gun satisfactorily made, how can I make it look like a customized piece carried by a debauched gunslinging dandy?

I'm asking in relation to raygun props, but it could apply to just about any other build or mod... how to fancy up something steam-style.

As always, with an emphasis on easy and cheap.  I have a Dremel, but I don't have a drill press, scroll-saw, angle grinder etc. but I'm reasonably handy, and good at improvising with the tools I do have.

How to get the most fancy-for-the-buck (and the time)?

-B

MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:35:47 pm »

A lot can be done with painting techniques for adding texture to a prop or build.

Adding 2D details could be done with transfers or gluing pictures to a flat surface. Give it a coat of varnish for extra durability. If you are modifying something like a PC or a laptop this could work very well.

3D details are a little harder. While there are those that shun the use of plastic, it is a lot easier to tool and cut. This can be glued to a other materials and painted to give the effect of metal. Unfortunately plastic builds tend to be fragile and you need be careful how you use it.

Air or Chemical hardening putties (fimo or milliput) are good for making odd shapes or combining materials that won't glue well.

What kind of builds are you think of?
Bailywolf
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 03:44:12 pm »

A
What kind of builds are you think of?

Currently, a set of rayguns which inspired a cosplay persona (my first, actually).  I wanted to make rayguns (as inspired by the internet) from junk, and after raiding the family junk vaults came away with two brass lamps that, when broken down, produced segments which would make a very nice (if big and outlandish) pair of brass rayguns. 

The paired weapons got me thinking gunslinger, and then I got the idea of doing a sleeve gun (via drawer slides, like so), which suggests more of a dandy, so I started thinking about a well-dressed gunslinger rather than the typical rough and tumble sort, which made me think about embellishing the rayguns beyond the over-engineered look, to give them some (outlandish) character.

So I ended up imagining myself into a place where a pair of rayguns with a nice patina and some greebles is no longer enough.

-B   
MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 04:02:23 pm »

I forgot WoodI forgot Wood. Scrap wood is easy to get hold of, can be drilled and cut fairly easily. Get yourself some clamps and wood chisles, and you can carve basic shapes for a good base for a gun (when carving go with the grain and don't use force).

Good luck, and I think of anything else i'll type it up.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:37:04 am »

hit the specialty hardware bins at the local mega hardware store.
its the row with all the big metal drawers and pictures of goofy looking nuts and such.
just take a look at all the oddball bits and pieces there, weird shaped screws and nuts, odd washers too.
something might catch your eye.
check also the isle with brass fittings and hinges for woodworking, might find something you like. some of the urban stores have mail slot trim and name tag plates for apartments and condo flats. all brassy goodness.

you can even hit the local thrift stores, resale shops and dollar stores. look for shapes more than color. paint fixes everything! real bare metal is great but a good paintjob is the next best thing.
Silas P. Morgan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 08:17:32 am »

There are also those little metal fittings sold in Craft stores (look in the jewelry section) soldier or glue those on...

Etching or engraving might be another option.... (and for a Cossplay piece, even if you mess up, it could be considered a learning experience........)

Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 02:11:39 pm »

Brass hardware is where it's at! I find a lot of it for dirt cheap at flea-markets, also, adding switches, gauges, brass and copper piping will also make something look more spectacular.

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

The best kind of Fusion... is confusion!

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 01:20:09 pm »

Still working my raygun builds, and wanted to fancy them up- the term I'd use would be "pimp them out". 

i think "gussy them up", works quite well.

$2 shop lace, can be cut to shape, stiffened, molded to shape, then painted to make vary nice filegre looking metalwork.

Proper Smashing!
Bailywolf
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 11:06:01 pm »

$2 shop lace, can be cut to shape, stiffened, molded to shape, then painted to make vary nice filegre looking metalwork.

Now that's pretty darned brilliant. 

-B
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 11:28:14 pm »

Curly wire!!

Can't go wrong with curly wire.

Dr. Q.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: