The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 01:38:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Theory On The Anatomy Of A Air Jellyfish....type thing  (Read 11788 times)
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2009, 11:46:51 pm »

Hopefully you see a "thumbs up" - I thought you made a witty response...

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2009, 11:48:05 pm »

Nope, it´s a smiley face and a giant C.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

This Is My Fancy Picture Caption Quote

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2009, 11:49:26 pm »

Im missing something here arnt I?
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2009, 11:52:53 pm »

Im missing something here arnt I?
No, I am. I tried changing the font to Wingdings so that character C would come up as a "thumbs up". It shows OK on my screen, but for some reason does not translate to yours - are you using a Mac? I need to go back to the thread about this. Sorry for confusion.....
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2009, 12:36:35 am »

Im on Vista.......sweet sweet vista
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2009, 03:16:30 pm »

a Cheesy and a giant C on Windows 2000 media centre edition...

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2009, 04:05:50 pm »

Grin  C
[/quote]

Works fine for me. Looks like happy face grin with a "thumbs up".

Anyhoo, yes I believe an ecosystem is in order to make the sky jelly more prolific. We would now have a wider variety of jelly species to document, study, kill and be eaten by. Not to mention all of the other sky flora and fauna awaiting discovery. Airships would be our submarines of the sky. Compression wouldn't be too big of a problem and we can walk about on an open deck.(though this makes being snatched over the rail by withdrawing tentacle all the more plausible)

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
David Godfrey Esq.
Zeppelin Captain

Its probably best not to ask really...

« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2009, 05:32:36 pm »

a Cheesy and a giant C on Windows 2000 media centre edition...

...and in XP home. Though Firefox may have decided to stop it working...

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2009, 09:09:34 pm »

On the Mac I can't see it on Firefox but I can on Safari and Internet Explorer.

Back to topic

With these new reefs and ecosystems I feel it is the duty of all loyal airship captains to plant the flag and claim them for the Queen

Queen Victoria, Queen of Great Britain and Ireland, Empress of India AND THE SKYS

Now that has a ring to it.

After all, we all know that some of those of foreign origin would wish to hunt all of these creatures and put them into the cooking pot and not, as we all know should happen, the Natural history museum

Visit my Facebook page Jason's Gems Jewellery at jasonsgemsjewellery
or my website Jason's Gems
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2009, 09:16:13 pm »

Grin  C

Works fine for me. Looks like happy face grin with a "thumbs up".

Anyhoo, yes I believe an ecosystem is in order to make the sky jelly more prolific. We would now have a wider variety of jelly species to document, study, kill and be eaten by. Not to mention all of the other sky flora and fauna awaiting discovery. Airships would be our submarines of the sky. Compression wouldn't be too big of a problem and we can walk about on an open deck.(though this makes being snatched over the rail by withdrawing tentacle all the more plausible)

Maybe we should use this as a new role play,eh?

EDIT:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:57:30 pm by Judicator » Logged
Cabletwitch
Officer

Engineering Chaos

« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2009, 09:17:38 am »

Sure... plant a flag, and get that sinking feeling as the jelly now descends rapidly to the sound of a huge whooppee cushion, now it has a rather nice hole in the top  Grin

I'm surprised though, all this talk on biology, and no-one has come up with a way to defeat/defend against them? Being mostly flammable gas and goo, surely something akin to an incendiary harpoon, from a high powered steam launcher?

Just my tiny mind at work again...

Anything can function as a hammer, at least once.

The only tools I need are WD40 and gaffer tape. If it doesnt move, and should, use the WD40. If it moves and it shouldnt, use the gaffer tape.

Honesty is the best policy, but Insanity makes for the best defense.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2009, 11:42:52 pm »

I've been looking at other fauna and if we can have Air Kraken, a flying squid, then I propose Cuttle Wyverns, giant flying cuttlefish! Just as cuttlefish have a highly porus internal shell, which the fish partially fills with air to adjust bouyancy in water, then Cuttle Wyverns can partially fill their central core with hydrogen or some light hydrocarbon which is produced by microbes living symbiotically in the gut. This has developed over time to make them lighter than air and being a closed cell construction makes them less vulnerable to flaming harpoons! As such they are potentally far more awesome than Air Krakens and indeed being carniverous and cannibals, they are often seen catching and eating Air Kraken.
Now, where did I put my pills.......
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2009, 01:09:18 am »

........ and, and they can change colour, so from above they look like the ground beneath them and from below they look just like the sky above them! They ARE out there, you just can't see them. The water borne variety even have a camouflage effect called "passing clouds"! So, where do you reckon that comes from eh? eh? see what I mean?

*goes and lies down*
Cabletwitch
Officer

Engineering Chaos

« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2009, 04:35:01 pm »

Be a good chap, and put that straight jacket back on when you go to lie down, yes?

All said, this is a pretty good idea, and this thread is made of win and jelly/mucus/hydrogen. Go go Imagination!
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2009, 02:03:18 pm »

MAGNIFICENT! I came in search of information about the air kraken and I found (as was previously suggested to me) a complete aerial ecosystem with potentially limitless possibilities. O brave new world, that has such wonders in it!  Shocked

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2009, 08:06:58 pm »

im happy for you?
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2010, 05:59:47 am »

New idea just arose. The Air Jellies work off of a weight loss/gain system(sort of) they have a set amount of gas and, like a hot air balloon that uses sand bags to weight it down, the jellies consume food to weigh them down, and excrete it to lift them up.
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2010, 11:14:44 am »

Beware of falling "Jelly dung"!

"Hhmmm..." *breaks out beach umbrella*
Danbury Shakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2010, 08:22:28 pm »

Beware of falling "Jelly dung"!

"Hhmmm..." *breaks out beach umbrella*

Its called "pwdre ser"  or "star jelly".
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2010, 05:57:34 pm »

Has anybody performed a dissection and analysis of one of these aerial wonders? It strikes me that the lift drag theories still lack something and in addition I started considering, how is it that they spend so much time above the clouds, indeed at very high altitude and yet don't seem to suffer from extreme exposure to ultra-violet light, gamma radiation and x-rays from the sun? Some form of pigmentation in the skin is obviously at work here - what if it was a cellular form of Cavorite? We know from H.G.Wells' writing that bodies coated in Cavorite are shielded from radiations of all kinds, particularly gravity. However, they would also be shielded from UV, Gamma and X rays too, thus being a highly likely developmental trait in these animals. It would also help explain how they can navigate the upper atmospheres which is not attainable by simple Lighter Than Air machines. We need to mount an expedition to trap one of these beasts so that the Empire can capitalise on the knowledge that can be gleaned. What kind of vehicle, traps and protective equipment do we need?
escherblacksmith
Snr. Officer

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2010, 07:29:13 pm »

Not sure if this has been brought up (Search says no) . . . but this story has some descriptions that might be inspiring to your discussion.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2010, 07:32:19 pm »

That´s pretty much the story that started this whole air jellyfish idea.  Smiley
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2010, 08:34:50 pm »

Has anybody performed a dissection and analysis of one of these aerial wonders? It strikes me that the lift drag theories still lack something and in addition I started considering, how is it that they spend so much time above the clouds, indeed at very high altitude and yet don't seem to suffer from extreme exposure to ultra-violet light, gamma radiation and x-rays from the sun? Some form of pigmentation in the skin is obviously at work here - what if it was a cellular form of Cavorite? We know from H.G.Wells' writing that bodies coated in Cavorite are shielded from radiations of all kinds, particularly gravity. However, they would also be shielded from UV, Gamma and X rays too, thus being a highly likely developmental trait in these animals. It would also help explain how they can navigate the upper atmospheres which is not attainable by simple Lighter Than Air machines. We need to mount an expedition to trap one of these beasts so that the Empire can capitalise on the knowledge that can be gleaned. What kind of vehicle, traps and protective equipment do we need?
Tacos...lots of tacos...
Oh! and some root beer...
and like you know...airships and high altitude masks and stuff...but mainly tacos and root beer

That´s pretty much the story that started this whole air jellyfish idea.  Smiley
is it though?is it?
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2010, 08:16:58 am »

Now what if they're nothing like jellyfish at all, but more akin to coral reefs? Instead of a single organism, it could be a symbiotic entity comprised of many billions of solid-structured lighter-than-air organisms. You could have different species of sky-corals, giving the colony different shades of color so it would appear nearly indistinguishable from regular clouds.. only the outer crust of the 'reef' would actually be alive, the center would be the solid remains of past generations, locked inside and still retaining their lighter-than-air properties to help keep the reef afloat..

Other species could live on the reef.. maybe insects, birds, or bats.. or even air-kraken if the reef were large enough.. they could be part of the symbiotic relationship.. the sky-reef would be their safe haven, while in return their droppings provide some of the nourishment for the reef..  

EDIT: You can have airship manufacturers wanting to mine the reefs! Steampunk environmentalists protesting and trying to hijack/damage their mining rigs.. or mad scientists trying to breed these organisms in captivity to make a gazillion bucks.. plenty of ideas for a few stories Wink

So..... I have started an entire RP in the potrayal thread based off of this theory.
I want to take this moment to extend many thanks to you for the idea, and proper recognition and credit for the idea of an aerial reef!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:50:22 pm by Judicator » Logged
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2010, 10:02:58 am »

I think somewhere on this forum I proposed a natural occuring equivalent to Aerogel - only filled with hydrogen or another lifting gas. The structure of AG is not all that different from an ordinary reef. Just a lot thinner and lighter.. for a plot device it wouldn't be too hard to think of microbial life forms forming such a structure and gradually filling it with a lifting gas as byproduct of their digestive system. Once a cell gets locked in, the gas can no longer escape. Only the outermost layer would be alive.

They could develop underwater where they are anchored just like ordinary reefs. They can grow to quite impressive sizes without being bohered by gravity. That is, until they grow too large and break off, or when they break off by waves or marine life. Now they will come rushing towards the surface - if they are large enough, they contain sufficient lifting gas to break the water's surface tension and gently float skywards. It's a rare phenomenon however. It takes ages for such a reef to develop and succesful break-aways are believed to occur only once every 100,000 years on average.

Since their original habitat seems limited to a number of reefs around Polynesia, and their ascend is slow, they will soon attract the attention of insects and birds. Bird droppingc contain seeds so plantlife will slowly emerge, there will be some pools of water left where algae will grow, and perchance a few unlucky fish. Very gradually an ecosystem starts emerging, adding weight to the Aeroreef so it's ascend balances out at an altitude of about 1,500m. In time, evolution takes its course and in the course of millions of years, specialized lifeforms start appearing.

Since not all Aeroreefs are the same size, they will react different to weather conditions. Wind especially affects different size reefs in a different matter. The largest reefs are, of course, more reluctant to move. This leads to the inevitability of reefs crashing together at some point. Due to the nature of the microbial life that forms the core of the reef, they tend to compact rather than shatter, and when they do, they form a rather sharp structure that tends to lock in place - hence, these reefs keep on growing. Lifeforms get exchanged between reefs, etc.

With the exception of a dozen or so free floating aeroreefs that developed in the last million years or so, the previous reefs all seem to have lumped together in one massive Aeroreef roughly the size of Ireland. The oldest living organisms have their roots over 100 million years back. Since then evolution has taken its course completely independant of the rest of the world - with new lifeforms and genetic material arriving whenever a different reef collided and fused with it.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: