The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 11:23:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottle needs unstoppering!  (Read 6012 times)
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 10:22:36 pm »

Yes, would be deep enough, and the wheelie bin is even deeper, but I would quickly fall out of favour with the household if I comandeered one of them for 5 days.  Angry Still, if this doesn't work then wheelie bin it is!

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 05:11:01 am »

depending on how water tight the fit is, you could submerge the bottle in some deeper water to get some into the bottle. pulling it up from a good depth (with the stopper pointing down) will have the bottle interior at a greater pressure than outside the bottle. the water around the stopper will hopefully seal it enough to allow the pressure to dislodge the stopper. know anyone with a pool with a deep end?

just be careful submerging it, too fast will just force it in deeper.

plan B would be a pressure/vacuum vessel. put it in and give it a shot of high vacuum. just wrap the bottle and stopper in a towel so it won't bounce around when it goes pop. water inside the bottle would help in plan B too.
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 05:23:40 am »

plan B would be a pressure/vacuum vessel. put it in and give it a shot of high vacuum. just wrap the bottle and stopper in a towel so it won't bounce around when it goes pop. water inside the bottle would help in plan B too.

ooooohhHHHHhhh... That sounds like fun! Let's do that one!

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Doktor Claw
Gunner

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 09:50:28 am »

I have an excellent image of quite a large group of people stood around  a bottle, rubbing their chins and opining, all dressed in bizarre steampunk costumes. Kind of like when several men try to fix a car...

Good thread, though!
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 10:01:56 am »

as an ex employee of British Teslacomms, I have many skills in the standing round an object, stroking chin and opining area, I'll have you know!
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 11:24:55 am »

I have an excellent image of quite a large group of people stood around  a bottle, rubbing their chins and opining, all dressed in bizarre steampunk costumes. Kind of like when several men try to fix a car...

Good thread, though!

You mean like a steampunk version of "An Experiment on a Bird in an Air Pump", by Joseph Wright? I'd love to see someone tackle that!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 11:31:42 am »

They seek her here,
they seek her there,
but Darkshines shows up everywhere!

Thanks DS for bringing a much required air of culture and civility to an otherwise bizarre thread. Now need to go and read up on Joseph Wright. How do you know so much??
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 11:34:57 am »

I know sometimes I give off an air of being...uh....weird, but I AM about to finish a Masters. And I absorb information like a sponge.

Did you know the top two songs played on UK radio (Bohemian Rhapsody, and Whiter Shade of Pale) both contain the word "fandango"?

/wanders off rambling about robots, explosives and world domination
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 06:46:37 am »

weird?

ADORABLE!

any female of the opposite sex who rambles about robots, explosives and world domination can't be all bad!

well maybe all bad, but in a good way!

why you haven't been absconded with, is beyond me. are you beating up the press gangs?

token resistance, my dear. *wink*
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 10:49:33 am »

We can talk about how great I am in a different thread, this bottle still needs unstoppering!
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 10:58:03 am »

Quite right Miss DS, task focused as always! Day 3 and still not even the tiniest stream of air bubbles, so more depth needed, bring on the wheelie bin.

As to your awesomeness Miss DS, I am not convinced a single thread is sufficient to contain it.....
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2009, 11:02:57 am »

*blush*

As for the unstoppering, various bar tricks include:

If the stopper is glass, wedged in glass, heat is the best bet. However, if the stopper is made of a different material, rubber or something, the heat may be making it expand....

Tapping round the edge to allow air in, although there is a 1 in 15 chance that the glass will smash...

Sticking a wedge down the neck and prying the stopper out. Even if it doesn't remove, it may allow an air hole in for water.

Do you have a picture of the bottle in question? If I can see the stopper, I might be able to help more...
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 11:48:57 am »

*thinks, what a charming shade of pink*

Now m'dear, no sooner said than......
Well I did have to go and take piccies, fire up laptop, load said piccies.......

The bottle, in all its glorious wetness
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The neck ~ as you can see its a ground glass stopper. The bottle was stored, empty, several years ago. So, there may be some small crystal growth round the stopper, but I suspect the glass has sort of "welded" itself together.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 11:53:23 am »

Heat and trying to pry it is definately your best option then. Lubing etc will just increase the suction inside, in fact, even moisture might do that too. Try blasting it with a hair dryer, dry heat, as opposed to wet heat, will create less suction, especially if you aren't getting any air bubbles rising.

EDIT: When I say use heat, you need to heat the bottle and cool the stopper. The heat will make the glass expand, the cool will make the stopper contract, and it should just pop out.

I also found this post on an antiques forum:

"First I used penetrating oil overnight,then I let it soak upside down in white vineger, taking it out periodically and heating up with hot water after which I'd tap on the sides of the stopper and the top of the bottle with a wooden implement(so as not to damage), while holding the bottle upside down over a clothe. I went through this procedure maybe ten times in the last couple of weeks,and just tonight the stopper practically shot out with a resounding pop(good thing I put the cloth down). It was very satisfying - I had just about given up on that thing. I think the combo of gravity,the soaking,heating and tapping,may eventually work if you have the patience."
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:57:42 am by darkshines » Logged
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2009, 12:01:08 pm »

I have a few bottles and lab glass items with a similar affliction, so don't mind me if I happen to join in this experiment!

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2009, 12:18:20 pm »

Thankyou Miss Darkshines. I will give Mr.Ringling a fair attempt in the wheelie bin as the water in the first experiment was quite shallow. If by next Wednesday we don't have air bubbles, then its the dry torture processes.

I enjoyed reading about Joseph Wright. I think I might have picked up on him sooner rather than later as I am about to look into the Lunar Society for a bit of personal study / interest.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2009, 12:27:51 pm »

Always a pleasure, never a chore Smiley
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 01:44:30 pm »

Since the stopper has a penny head, I would LIGHTLY tap on the stopper while it is submerged. Tap along the narrow side, not the big flat side. After afew taps, try twisting back and forth, do not try to pull it out, only twist...
Good luck! Keep in mind that if the stopper does break, it can be replaced.

Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 02:32:06 pm »

OK, now in the wheelie bin, measured 55 cms of water over the stopper! No bubbles   Sad
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 03:33:48 pm »

OK, now in the wheelie bin, measured 55 cms of water over the stopper!
It is times like these that I realise how awesome this forum is Grin

Keep up the good work chaps and chappettes Smiley
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2009, 03:43:38 pm »

OK, now in the wheelie bin, measured 55 cms of water over the stopper! No bubbles   Sad
you may have to wait a while for the water to start seeping in, leave it over night perhaps?

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2009, 05:06:33 pm »

It's got 'til Tuesday......

But I'll check it every day.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2009, 08:11:59 am »

heat will probably be the final thing to try. submerge the botter in nearly uncomfortably hot water, too hot may break it. cool the stopper after heating up the glass well. you can also use a strip of cloth to warm the bottle neck with friction. wrap it around it and pull either end to rub the glass, sort of like polishing shoes. it can get suprisingly warm doing this. something like thin dress socks will do a good job
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2009, 10:36:02 am »

D'you know what? We're all bonkers - a 4 page thread just to get a stopper out of a bottle?
Cheers guys - this has restored my faith in humanity and confirms that one day, steam punks will rule the world.

no bubbles today (yet)    Smiley
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2009, 02:38:12 pm »

D'you know what? We're all bonkers - a 4 page thread just to get a stopper out of a bottle?
Cheers guys - this has restored my faith in humanity and confirms that one day, steam punks will rule the world.

no bubbles today (yet)    Smiley
Have you tapped on it while it is underwater yet?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: