The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 09:32:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A quick and dirty steampunk ring tutorial using a coin -old method  (Read 4523 times)
Mr. Able
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: April 23, 2009, 08:30:52 pm »

I'm taking a break from actual work just now, and thought I'd share with you an experiment I undertook recently.

I had heard of this process second hand and thought I'd try my hand at it. Basically I needed something to do while the women-folk were exercising in the living room, so I wandered into the workshop, and made this:

Normally I would actually cast a ring the right way using a charcoal block, silver, etc - But I was all out of silver and I didn;t have that much time.

The first step is to grab a coin that can be bored and ground to the appropriate ring size (nickels, quarters, etc.) as well as a metal punch, a metal drill bit, and some assorted gears.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Using the metal punch, knock a notch in Jefferson's cheek. It doesn't have to be precise because you are going to drill it out and grind it later.

Secure the coin in a firm and sturdy vice.

Using a variable speed drill and the metal cutting drill bit, proceed to  drill a hole through the coin.

Here you can see that the hole is off center, but like I said before that won't matter much as you are going to grind it out.

Now take a dremel with a grinding bit, and bore out the hole. after that, find some appropriate cogs/doodads, clean the bored coin with acetone and steel wool, rinse and dry it, and then solder your doodads to it.

So there it is. A quick and dirty ring made for a friend. Total work time is roughly an hour, depending on how often you go back to the bar to pour another martini.

- M. Able.

Mat
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 12:01:40 am »

It looks good to me!  Pretty precise!

I know it doesn't matter in this application, but you can keep your larger drillbit from wandering by pre-drilling a pilot hole with a smaller bit before chasing it through with the larger one.   Grin
ChaoticShelly
Gunner
Israel Israel

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 12:05:40 am »

I'm not capable of doing these things because I'm horrible with drilling and what not, but oh gosh! the ring is beautiful!

I wish there were steampunkers here in Israel, Cuz it's impossible to get these type of things here Sad
Mr. Able
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 12:08:52 am »

That's the joy of making your own!
ChaoticShelly
Gunner
Israel Israel

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:11:19 am »

That's the joy of making your own!

I know, But I can't work my way around this type of work. I'm only capable of hurting myself trying  Grin
Mr. Able
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 12:52:45 am »

I have faith in the indomitable human will Smiley
ChaoticShelly
Gunner
Israel Israel

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 12:58:33 am »

I have no skill in putting mechanic things together into jewlery. How 'bout I just keep making fashion?
Silas P. Morgan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 07:49:08 am »

I've heard that there is a way to make a silver ring by poking a hole in a (well.... silver) coin, and then pounding it around a mandrel....

I've never even tried to experiment and see if it would work... so drilling and grinding a coin looks much easier.....

Ryan
Deck Hand
Switzerland Switzerland

Scientist

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:41:36 pm »

I have no skill in putting mechanic things together into jewlery. How 'bout I just keep making fashion?

you know, there are a few ways to make something, at least two: the conventional way, like it says in the books "use this like this, that is for this, etc", or the unconventional way (my favorite Wink). Use what you've got, make what you need and only buy what you can't make. And by "use what you've got", I mean EVERYTHING. I made an aluminum gauntlet with pencils and a regular hammer as only forging tools (and I have NO knowledge  whatsoever in metal working).

You don't necessarily need a drill to make a ring, you can buy one of those cheap rings for kids with a huge fake diamond on it, find an old watch, remove the diamond from the ring, open up the watch, stick a few of the gears on the ring, paint whatever pieces need to be painted and voila! just use your imagination, and stick to your idea, you'll make marvels with nothing Cheesy
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 07:02:30 am »

you can make some amazing things from two part epoxy putty. the water clean-up kind is amazing!

the trick for rings is finding something about the size of your finger that has a taper to it so you can remove stuff.

walking around, trying your rings on stuff will get stares but it will reward you eventually!

a cheap ring stand shaped like fingers actually works well, you just need to wrap some clear case tape around the "fingers" so the epoxy isn't permanently stuck.

a second layer of tape wrapped sticky side out and then covered again with tape will give you a little sleeve that will slide the ring off easily. just slide a ring that fits you down the taped over finger and mark it where the ring rests. remove your ring and knead up some of the epoxy and form it around the finger at the proper spot for your size.
the water clean up epoxy can be smoothed with a wet finger to give a really nice finish without needing much sanding. you can even impress it with textures while its still soft. once its firmed up good(a few hours usually), you can slide it off with that tape sleeve inside it, then peel the tape from the inside.

you can continue to add more epoxy to dress it up more, it sticks to itself just fine.

paint and patina the ring and seal it with a good hard clear finish and you have a custom ring you can proudly stick in peoples faces!
Mina
Snr. Officer

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 09:02:25 pm »

i've never seen that before! gosh, and here i was about to take all my nickles and quarters in for a change war!

Come take my journey into night
    Come be my shadow, walk at my side
    And when you see all that I have seen
    Can you tell me love from pride?
Lucifargundam
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 05:29:13 am »

question:: doesnt most solder have lead in it?
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 05:57:12 am »

There's an older way to make rings from coins containing a higher amount of silver (pre-1964 quarters and half dollars). There's a video on Make that shows how, though their result is pretty crooked. It will be nicer if you take your time about it. I have a ring I made from a quarter in this style that I've worn for the last 5 years. You can make rings like this from more recent coins, but because they're made of nickle and copper instead of 98% silver you'll get a green finger from wearing it.

Samuel Xavier Watson
nathe
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 07:51:13 am »

question:: doesnt most solder have lead in it?

not anymore. it used to, but now lead free solder is widely used (which is a pity, cause its a bugger of a stuff to work with. i find tin/lead solder much easier)
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 02:43:16 pm »

There's an older way to make rings from coins containing a higher amount of silver (pre-1964 quarters and half dollars). There's a video on Make that shows how, though their result is pretty crooked. It will be nicer if you take your time about it. I have a ring I made from a quarter in this style that I've worn for the last 5 years. You can make rings like this from more recent coins, but because they're made of nickle and copper instead of 98% silver you'll get a green finger from wearing it.

not if you use clear coat!!!
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

This Is My Fancy Picture Caption Quote

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 02:19:46 am »

So....the coin itself is the band for the ring right?
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 02:35:32 am »

yeah, a coin thats had its centre drilled out.

i wonder if i could do it with an Australian coin 

incognito you say? how can i burn the place down incognito?
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 02:37:21 am »

don't see why not... unless they're made out of some weird, non-standard material.
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 03:12:13 am »

the 50 cent coin is a weird 12 sided coin and its pretty big, the 20 cent coin wold proberly work better, but i don't know what metals and what not are in them, and id rather not have green fingers >.<
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 03:13:32 am »

a 12 sided coin? i have to see that!

EDIT: oh, you mean the sides aren't curved. like a Canadian penny, almost. yeah, it would work. i've seen square rings before, and an octagon ring, so why not a dodecagon? (and yes, that is what it's actually called)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 03:16:26 am by Mina » Logged
Reverend Redmond Farrier
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 09:23:10 pm »

I have been wearing a pinky ring that I made from a 1961 quarter for the last few years.

I also made one out of a 1985 half dollar.  I love the look of the thing, but you are right about it turning you green. lol

Rev. R. Farrier
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

A Gentleman.

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 09:53:41 pm »

A word of warning for anyone from the UK: 'tis technically illegal to do this with sterling as a British citizen -as it's defacing the queen and all that, although I doubt anyone is going to notice or care Tongue

It's a good way to make a ring, I may try this some time!

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
Judicator
Zeppelin Captain

This Is My Fancy Picture Caption Quote

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 09:57:08 pm »

Ok i find that I am quite impaired because of my lack of tools and parents permission,where can I fine cheap equipment?
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 02:47:51 am »

where can I fine cheap equipment?

sorry, no such thing as cheap equipment.
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 08:29:49 am »

cheap equipment will only cause pain and anger.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: