The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 09:11:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 shutter "iris" hatch  (Read 48517 times)
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2010, 11:11:28 pm »

I have to build one of those irises! No idea what I would do with it, but that's besides the point.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2010, 03:50:34 am »

This is neat, but the mechanism is so large relative to the opening that the applications are limited.

One sized for a large door peephole could work nicely. 
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2010, 05:45:50 am »

This is neat, but the mechanism is so large relative to the opening that the applications are limited.

One sized for a large door peephole could work nicely. 

Well I am trying to get this reverse version made to test the theory. It has a better hole/area ratio

Its only a small 200 x 200 mm version. It would work something like this

steamtastic
Snr. Officer
England England

"It starts with S and ends in PUNK..."

« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2010, 07:50:34 am »

Is it possible to make a more oval one for a door?

Each Man is in his Spectre's power
Until the arrival of that hour
When his Humanity awake -William Blake
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2010, 08:35:23 am »

Is it possible to make a more oval one for a door?

One way I thought about was having overlapping sliding doors at a 45 degree angle.

This animation explains a bit better

It is really just sliding doors but the give the illusion of an opening iris

oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2010, 05:55:27 pm »

One way I thought about was having overlapping sliding doors at a 45 degree angle.

That design is very common in SF movies. Works fine, and you get a flat threshold. Stepping through hatchways (as on warships) gets old very fast.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2010, 02:19:29 am »

That design is very common in SF movies.

It is? Back to the drawing board then

Wraith5
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2010, 05:20:11 am »

It's a rather iconic design seen in 'Star Wars' as the blast doors on the Death Star:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2010, 02:51:27 pm »

It's a rather iconic design seen in 'Star Wars' as the blast doors on the Death Star:

Good call, that's exactly what I thought of when I saw Von Bismarks' design. Come to think of it, I think that when I finally get around to designing my house, that's what I'm going to use for my front door. (I'd like to see a burglar take that one on. Better yet an episode of "COPS" where they have to deal with one.)
 Damn, that would be funny. Leave the blast door open when the cops came in the blast doors close and the wall floor and celing come alive with a hundred or so whirling blades, pitfalls, pendulems, arosol blowtorches blow guns and maniacal laughter booming over the loud speaker.
 Man, I can't wait til Agatha get's castle Heterodyne up and running!  Cheesy

Arvis

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2010, 12:16:28 am »

I really have to stop stealing ideas from Star Wars. Or watch the original trilogy again and plagiarize properly.

Since it is not really an iris it does lend itself to a lot of variation.

As a 2 metre door opening it would probably work a lot better than other designs. The largest Iris diaphragm design i have seen had a 500mm opening. You have to wonder if anything larger would even work due to weight and friction.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2010, 02:56:27 pm »

This is the reverse version of the four door iris i was working on

The centre ring rotates forcing the shutters along the straight tracks. Not as pretty as the the other version but more compact.

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd131/msgprinter/?action=view&current=reverse4door-1.flv

darkling27
Swab

« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2010, 12:27:59 am »

Wow, this thread is actualy fading into the distance of the forum?! I decided to register just so i could bump it back into view. Ive been keeping track of this thread and really interested in making my own one of these 'windows'. I also wanted to comment on Robo Von Bismarks iris to just say that im impressed with your latest design, changing it like that really saves on space  Smiley
I would also like to bring up the iris windows of the 'steampunk treehouse

Steampunk Treehouse Takes an EncoreLQ | LQ+ | HQ

4 mins 30 seconds into the vid talks about them  Wink
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2010, 01:03:28 pm »

Wow, this thread is actualy fading into the distance of the forum?! I decided to register just so i could bump it back into view. Ive been keeping track of this thread and really interested in making my own one of these 'windows'. I also wanted to comment on Robo Von Bismarks iris to just say that im impressed with your latest design, changing it like that really saves on space  Smiley

Thank you for your comments Darkling. Of course I would not have attempted that version if Shoeshine had not shown me some ideas with his construction. Ideas clicked into place and I could see how to build it.

I would just like to come up with a number of designs and then see how they can be applied.
passbyguy
Officer

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2010, 07:29:55 am »

quick question... maybe.

with the reverse version of the iris design, are any of the other iris designs in general, be able to link in a cube form? so its like a box, but all the 6 iris' open up all together.

its a great design btw. i'm just tossing the idea out there.

Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2010, 12:46:55 am »

quick question... maybe.

with the reverse version of the iris design, are any of the other iris designs in general, be able to link in a cube form? so its like a box, but all the 6 iris' open up all together.

its a great design btw. i'm just tossing the idea out there.

I think I understand what you mean. Something that appears as a grid of squares that move to reveal an opening?

Mostly I have been experimenting with round openings, but its an interesting idea.

Closest thing i have come across is this style I found while searching the web

Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2010, 11:10:29 pm »

I reread passbyguy's comment and realized he probably meant something more like this:

Its still a bit rough so please excuse some elements. The red cog represents the drive wheel, which in turn drives the blue cogs (which are only partially toothed to avoid running into each other). This only covers five sides instead of six.

What were you trying to do?
Mnemoria
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2010, 12:43:55 am »

May I suggest a drive rod, extending through a corner of the cube vertically could operate an iris on the bottom surface of the cube, without causing major obstruction to passage through the openings.
Hopefully that communicates the idea, meanwhile Ill just continue to be amazed with how you've developed this.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2010, 01:19:56 am »

May I suggest a drive rod, extending through a corner of the cube vertically could operate an iris on the bottom surface of the cube, without causing major obstruction to passage through the openings.
Hopefully that communicates the idea, meanwhile Ill just continue to be amazed with how you've developed this.

Do you mean like this?

The magenta rod links the top and bottom plate internally.

That's a great idea. I like to think we are all developing this.
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2010, 01:21:55 am »

Now you just need to find a use for it.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2010, 01:34:55 am »

Now you just need to find a use for it.

Steampunk UV grenade?

Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2010, 01:40:04 am »

Ha ha, brilliant! Cheesy
Professor Fzz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2010, 01:43:36 pm »

I took two of my microscope irises apart to see how they work.  They're actually quite different from each other.

The first ten-blade one:

Interesting shape the blades have.

Second twelve-blade one:

Simpler blades, but these use a bend on the blade and a slot to slide/rotate around.

I will say, they're a bitch to put back together!

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley
passbyguy
Officer

« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2010, 06:00:40 pm »

Robo- yup, that's the box I had in mind. I didn't know what it could be used for, but that grenade idea is awesome.

I had a crazy idea that'd it be something that'll open a vortex into other dimensions, but that's still not structurally possible to house enough mechanics for that. In the end, it'll definitely be an awesome show-piece.
Mnemoria
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2010, 10:48:36 pm »

Good evening Robo,
Not quite what I'd envisaged, though it would work, the magenta pole would obscure part of the iris. (Possibly restricting passage through the junction.)
Apologies, my earlier explanation was not precise enough to convey my suggestion. If a shaft were to be mounted in the corner of the top surface, such that it pierced both the top and bottom surface, in the space not occluded by the main cog, it could then be driven by either a toothed cog or by a drive belt situated on a rim below the gear teeth.
Unfortunately my drawing skills are not up to rendering a visual which does anything other than confuse the matter.
Does this make sense of what I'd suggested?  

ETA to correct a typographical error
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:50:17 pm by Mnemoria » Logged
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2010, 03:08:41 am »

I took two of my microscope irises apart to see how they work.  They're actually quite different from each other.

Simpler blades, but these use a bend on the blade and a slot to slide/rotate around.

I will say, they're a bitch to put back together!

Those are fascinating Professor Fzz. Would it be possible to get a photo of one the shutters from the first iris looking directly from the top? It looks like it achieves a very small opening when fully closed.

That second one looks like it was intended for mass production, it would certainly be easier to manufacture than the "stud" version.

I am beginning to think we need a mechanical iris thread in the main tactile forum where we can gather all this information together.

Robo- yup, that's the box I had in mind. I didn't know what it could be used for, but that grenade idea is awesome.

I had a crazy idea that'd it be something that'll open a vortex into other dimensions, but that's still not structurally possible to house enough mechanics for that. In the end, it'll definitely be an awesome show-piece.

Not enough to house a pan-dimensional vortex? You have a working one? Could you pick me up some stuff? (nothing fancy)

Good evening Robo,
Not quite what I'd envisaged, though it would work, the magenta pole would obscure part of the iris. (Possibly restricting passage through the junction.)
Apologies, my earlier explanation was not precise enough to convey my suggestion. If a shaft were to be mounted in the corner of the top surface, such that it pierced both the top and bottom surface, in the space not occluded by the main cog, it could then be driven by either a toothed cog or by a drive belt situated on a rim below the gear teeth.
Unfortunately my drawing skills are not up to rendering a visual which does anything other than confuse the matter.
Does this make sense of what I'd suggested?   

ETA to correct a typographical error

Ok this is rough ( I should be working)

The magneta rod is moved to the side with a small cog to engage the main red cog. The more I think about this a different iris would be more appropriate. The shutter blades would possibly snag the mechanism. Something more contained in a circle like the type Professor Fzz posted would be better.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: