The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 08:46:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 shutter "iris" hatch  (Read 49150 times)
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 02:12:00 am »

Some may remember that mechanism from one of the Star Wars movies. The top hatch on the Millennium Falcon worked that way. This is a better design than a true "iris", because an iris depends on thin overlapping blades and is inherently fragile.  This will work with thick sections.
Sir L. Cuilein
Officer

Colonel Sir L. Cuilein Kings Royal Elite (Ret.)

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 02:27:45 am »

Do you have pattern's of your iris?

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
–Winston Churchill
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 01:00:01 pm »

Wow, I thought this thread was dead and buried. Sorry everybody for the late reply.

Its funny I was working on a new version of this just the other day

A five door version gives the largest opening compared to the surrounding mechanism. Any more and the doors start to run into each other.

To everyone who asked for schematics, I will try to email a PDF of a simplified CAD drawing. It shows the iris assembled plus its separate components with some dimensions. Whats a PM anyway?

Some may remember that mechanism from one of the Star Wars movies. The top hatch on the Millennium Falcon worked that way. This is a better design than a true "iris", because an iris depends on thin overlapping blades and is inherently fragile.  This will work with thick sections.

Well spotted, that's where i stole it from. I just added the outer ring and drive arms. Any idea how they did it on the Falcon? You right about the thick sections as well. This is a design that works well the larger and thicker it is (as opposed to that other iris design i posted).

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 05:19:53 am »

I shall bookmark this thread, as I have been wanting a design for such a portal for so long that I can no longer recall the reason...  Embarrassed

Whats a PM anyway?

That would be a Personal Message, which can be sent from the page-top menu bar or from the "word balloon" beneath the intended recipient's name or avatar.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2009, 02:48:24 pm »

Excellent design and execution. Keep us updated.

shoeshine
Officer

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 06:41:55 am »

With files from (and many thanks to) Messer Von Bismark, I have completed my first prototype of his "5 leaf" design.

For now, just cut out of thin plywood I had available. Eventually, as I get all the bugs worked out and then go back in and add all the glorious little detailing, I intend to cut out of brass with the interior mechanisms made out of aluminum to save some $.  The first application will be a window in my studio door. - - -  Hello, who's there? shhhhhunk.

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 07:02:48 am »

Absolutely awesome porthole shutter for a door!

Vrin
Officer

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2010, 09:07:56 am »

If you have not considered metal, you might want to consider either laser or flow jet cutting your parts. Your cad files can be directly imported into nearly all cnc fabrication software.

So if you haven't already think about handing off your cad files to ether a water jet OR laser cutting fabricator. I think whatever comes of such a venture will be even cooler than your wood version already is. And you could get a price point for a production run, if you are entrepreneurial minded.

well done and good luck!

heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 01:12:51 am »

I.... MUST HAVE IT!

The files, man! Gimme! Gimme the love!

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 01:52:17 am »

That looks cool Shoeshine. Really looking forward to the finished product.

As a point of interest I found this video on youtube:
(note the conveyor belt/electric motor setup to drive the iris)

Large Iris windowshade mechanismDQ

Also to everybody else this is how the five door version looks opening and closing.

http://vid223.photobucket.com/albums/dd131/msgprinter/5shutter-1.flv
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 01:53:58 am »

try that again:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid223.photobucket.com/albums/dd131/msgprinter/5shutter-1.flv">
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 02:45:39 am »

One last try (I am bad at this posting thing):

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd131/msgprinter/?action=view&current=5shutter-1.flv
Skylark_Jones
Deck Hand

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 02:57:48 am »

Looking pretty spiffy, I would like to see a door size version of this.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 09:57:59 am »

I'll jump into the que for the schematic; it looks like something that can be applied to several different Ideas I've had recently. (a chuck, among other things).

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
shoeshine
Officer

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 08:37:21 am »

No problem gents, I am posting the DXF.

WARNING---let me say this though.

on a completeness scale of 1-10 this is at most a 2-3. Definitely a prototype, It works but not well yet. This is the very first physical try of the concept.

So, just be warned the drawing at this point is really just to illustrate the idea. It needs tweaking to work.

I had to gang up the leaves and sand them slightly on my disc sander till they fit right. I still need to figure out allowances for friction and a few other finicky bits. I also need to add a chase in the substrate so the bolts have somewhere to turn, as you can see now the bolts are sticking up because there is nowhere to put a nut on. I also need to come up with some sort of retaining ring for the outer bearings, because right now it only works laying flat on the table.

Note: the tiny circles are not accurately dimensioned, they are just to indicate drilling points (drill holes at the center of these circles for whatever bolts you use.
The drill points on the 5 outside tabs are based on some .75" bearings I happened to have. modify as you need.

I have a number of ideas on how to improve this now that I have proof of concept. And I will post as I work it through, as there seems to be some interest. I figure about 3-4 more tests and I might actually have something.

of course if any of you do something cool with this... please post and give details. together we can come up with something really tight.

Chris

www.schaie.com/shopbot/IRIS_12in_prototype_01.zip
The Inventor
Snr. Officer

Cascadia now and forever

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 09:12:46 am »

That is so amazing,
First I want to make one for kicks, maybe as the lid to my dice box?
Then I'd like to scale it upto say the size of my bedroom windows as a screen,
maybe us a pneumatic cylinder to open and close it for sound effects.
And then build on in Copper / Brass as a roof access for my Dad's Garage....
This would be epic.

Thank you so much for sharing this.
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 11:25:09 am »

one hyphenated word... Sky-Lights. When i get some free time I'll make one of these from foam card and see if my uncle can make a larger wood/metal version.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 12:24:02 pm »

one hyphenated word... Sky-Lights. When i get some free time I'll make one of these from foam card and see if my uncle can make a larger wood/metal version.

Funny that's what the four door version was originally intended for. The people in question liked it, but didn't think it suited their shop interior.

Another person who has seen it suggestion stained glass for the shutters (suitably framed in metal of course).
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2010, 02:16:40 am »

Thank you! Perhaps someday I can get down to brass tacks. 
Captain Quinlin Hopkins
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 03:28:07 pm »

Interesting indeed.  Just grabbed your dxf and was taking a look.  The only quick thought I had was to create a channel in the back side of one blade, that a protrusion from the opposite side of the blade would fit into. Although it does complicate it a bit, it also makes it to where you don't need quite as tight a tolerance to not see daylight, and adds a bit of rigidity to the closed iris.  Just a roundover bit create one edge, and the inverse counterpart to hollow out the other side to receive it. 

Just an idea. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wouldn't even have to cover the entire edge.  Or you could simply cut a channel to allow for a seal of some type to be glued into one edge. 

Sincerely,
Captain Quinlin Hopkins (Hoppy)

Do not ignore the freedoms of someone else, for eventually you will be someone else! 

DFW Steampunk Illumination Society
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2010, 09:38:14 pm »

Interesting indeed.  Just grabbed your dxf and was taking a look.  The only quick thought I had was to create a channel in the back side of one blade, that a protrusion from the opposite side of the blade would fit into. Although it does complicate it a bit, it also makes it to where you don't need quite as tight a tolerance to not see daylight, and adds a bit of rigidity to the closed iris.  Just a roundover bit create one edge, and the inverse counterpart to hollow out the other side to receive it. 

Just an idea. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wouldn't even have to cover the entire edge.  Or you could simply cut a channel to allow for a seal of some type to be glued into one edge. 

Nice work. Is that done in Solidworks?
Captain Quinlin Hopkins
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2010, 10:37:08 pm »

Not even close.  It's rhino with the flamingo render which is fairly cheap for a real cad program.  I've half a dozen programs, but this is the one i'm most familiar with.  I'll probably play with it more this weekend since i'm actually off till Monday now.  Hopefully my new machine will be in at work soon and I can really get cracking with catia.  I've solidworks, catia, machanical desktop, surfcam, etc.  

Have an idea for a teapot I need to get down before I forget it though.  Need to order some more parts too. 

By the way, feel free to completely ignore my ideas, I tend to greatly over complicate things.  
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 01:05:07 am »

If it's ever to be used as a proper hatch, I believe it would need an appropriate serial numer.. 4 8 15 16 23 42 ought to do nicely...

shoeshine
Officer

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2010, 10:48:06 pm »

Well here goes the 3rd iteration of this project. It got sort of "back-burnered" for a bit

I won't bother with posting #2 as it was just working out bugs.

added an outside spur gear set as the actuating mechanism.

Working parts milled in .093 brass

To be mounted in a nautical inspired mahogany door that I am in the midst of cutting. [design pic attached]

akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2010, 11:00:47 pm »

Dude, that's awesome! And that door is going to be EPIC! Excellent work!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: