The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 05:31:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 shutter "iris" hatch  (Read 48514 times)
YIG
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2011, 07:23:46 pm »

Thats a fantastic door. What did you use to make the large hand wheel?

"The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone is trying to make you somebody else"
wrenchhead
Snr. Officer
Iraq Iraq

« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2011, 02:18:24 pm »

Hello there, I'm sorry if this is overly late after the last thing being replied/written/whatever such things happen to be called but I thought it would be nice to contribute rather than just lurking.

I have been working on a ten petal design of the earlier mechanisms (which by the way were some most very lovely things) and this would likely be the place to put it.

Here's a few pictures of the small paper and card model of the petals I made to test the idea and placings and stuffs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The tips of the petals will fit into a slot on the inside of the next petal around, sorry if that's not too clear from the photos.

Q

PS. Sorry if the images aren't particularly good quality or I've messed up somehow, I'm new to all this.

Got to looking at this again, and I got to thinking that it seems with these much-slimmed leaves, this iris, while looking rather deadly, also looks like it takes up a LOT less space when open than a 4- or 5-leaf iris... Shoeshine, what's your thoughts on this version? Would one be able to fit a larger opening into a given space with the smaller leaves of a 10+ leaf iris as opposed to a 4- or 5-leaf version?

... It just needs to have a satisfying "THUNK" to feel right.

Shoeshine, I had a thought on that one just now, perhaps this would have the desired outcome at the large scale you're working with... know how the male end on a headphone jack has the part that is tapered, to make it stay in the female end?
What if your bolts were shaped like that where they enter the door frame... they might give that clunk sound when the "jack" was pushed into the "plug." Just a thought...

- Jake
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:20:58 pm by wrenchhead » Logged

Quentin The Various
Snr. Officer

« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2011, 11:46:03 pm »

That door is truly splendid, congratulations on achieving such great densities of wonderfulness!

Got to looking at this again, and I got to thinking that it seems with these much-slimmed leaves, this iris, while looking rather deadly, also looks like it takes up a LOT less space when open than a 4- or 5-leaf iris... Shoeshine, what's your thoughts on this version? Would one be able to fit a larger opening into a given space with the smaller leaves of a 10+ leaf iris as opposed to a 4- or 5-leaf version?
It does take up less space when open than a 5 petal version (I drew a 5 petal one first to get the hang of it and when comparing them the 10 petal has a lesser maximum diameter) and could be made to take up less with the addition of more petals. It would however become more complex as each petal overlaps with ever more petals. Probably highly fiddly but likely doable if the petals were all correctly shaped and so forth. As for weights and frictions, that would most probably all come down to materials used and lubrications/bearings. And the possible addition of hydrogen/helium gasbags to lighten bits...

Most likely all doable and probably; "where there's a will there's a way" as they say, unless the laws of physics say otherwise of course. Smiley

Hope that all made at least the vaguest sense.

Q
wrenchhead
Snr. Officer
Iraq Iraq

« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2011, 04:45:00 pm »

Aww, phooey. I honestly overlooked the overlap. Guess that makes things a bit more difficult.

-Jake
Quentin The Various
Snr. Officer

« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2011, 09:12:26 pm »

The overlap shouldn't be a problem, so long as the petals' slots/grooves for accepting the overlapping petal are correctly sized and shaped and the whole thing isn't made too flimsy by this. It might just be a tad tricky to work out said overlaps on designs with a great number of petals but likely not too bad.

Q
profluna
Deck Hand
Brazil Brazil

« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2012, 04:00:31 pm »

Dear friend if you can send the detailed PDF of your Iris Mechanics.
 With the actual measurements of each piece.
 I want to do with our students.
 Mark a hug (Profluna)  E-mail - ( nucleotagreste2005@gmail.com )
 Students and I'll be very grateful
A. Pettyengineer
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2012, 04:07:26 pm »

A set of plans would be very nice.
And I see that the full circle can be modified to a square, using the four points that of the linkages as the corner points, therefore giving rise to a square that has a round iris in the center when opened (the square would have to be slightly bigger to accommodate the movement )
Nice job

Ah!!! I see it's a Tersun Universal Spanner in the works.

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2012, 06:06:32 pm »

It's been a while since this thread has been used/updated.
There is a ZIP file on page 2.
I also made a mechanical iris for my scanner camera.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33671.25.html
I think the pictures are on page 2.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: