The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 06:43:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 shutter "iris" hatch  (Read 49058 times)
Mnemoria
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2010, 02:18:54 pm »

I am beginning to think we need a mechanical iris thread in the main tactile forum where we can gather all this information together.

It would make a useful reference resource.
Not enough to house a pan-dimensional vortex? You have a working one? Could you pick me up some stuff? (nothing fancy)

I suspect we could put together a considerable shopping list.

Ok this is rough ( I should be working)

The magneta rod is moved to the side with a small cog to engage the main red cog. The more I think about this a different iris would be more appropriate. The shutter blades would possibly snag the mechanism. Something more contained in a circle like the type Professor Fzz posted would be better.

You are probably correct, construction wise I prefer your design, though I've yet to come up with a project that could use it.
My concerns over the blades snagging the vertical drive cog was what prompted me to consider a drive belt, thinking this could be a considerably smaller mechanism.
I really should put some time into learning one of the 3D modelling packages, it would make playing with ideas a lot more practical.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2010, 03:40:54 pm »

I really should put some time into learning one of the 3D modelling packages, it would make playing with ideas a lot more practical.

Actually most of the iris designs I have done used a combination of Coreldraw and 2D AutoCAD. Corel to rough out ideas (playing with shapes, rotating them around), then AutoCAD to produce an accurate and clean 2D lasercutting file.

For 3D I use mainly Solidworks (the images of the cube and iris were done in that). Great for mechanical design and construction. Not very freeform though.

Google Sketchup is not bad if you want something free and simple to use
passbyguy
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2010, 05:13:05 pm »

Robo - I wish I had a pan-dimensional vortex.

The only thing I could house in something like that would be a swarm of ill-intentioned bees. Speaking in terms of mad-scientist possibilities.
This means I gotta learn how to make one of those now.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2010, 11:27:14 pm »

The only thing I could house in something like that would be a swarm of ill-intentioned bees. Speaking in terms of mad-scientist possibilities.

(Doctor Evil Voice): "RELEASE THE ILL-INTENTIONED BEES!!!!!"
xanthra
Snr. Officer

« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2010, 02:41:19 am »

Muhuhuhuhuhahahah.
COR
Swab

Australia Australia

« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2010, 03:54:48 am »

The magneta rod is moved to the side with a small cog to engage the main red cog. The more I think about this a different iris would be more appropriate. The shutter blades would possibly snag the mechanism. Something more contained in a circle like the type Professor Fzz posted would be better.

You know, I don't see any reason why you can't make the gears smaller and put them on the inside, with the bottom plate detachable for assembly.
Then if you want something cool to put inside it, you could remove the bottom plate and replace it with a small water reservoir wired with an ultrasonic mist maker. When you open the shutters, fog will bellow out.
you can get the parts separately:

or pre-made retail version, some of which have LED's built in to illuminate the fog:

http://www.artisticdelights.com/ulfog.html <-- (these guys are overly expensive but they tell you a bit about mist makers)
this one only has 1 LED but most have much more with different colors.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mist-Fog-Maker-Fogger-Mister-Pond-Water-Fountain-12-LED-/190397078070?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item2c548cda36
you can get a single head mist maker with LED's for about $5 - $30 depending on where you look and whether or not it comes with a transformer (i recommend e-bay, Hong Kong spits them out pretty cheap and the postage isn't too bad), the more heads it has the more mist it makes but it also gets more expensive. I've seen 3, 6, 10, and 12 head models, But unless you build it bigger than your computer screen you'll only need 1. (the small 1 head models are designed to keep a large open bowl filled to the brim with fog, the larger 6, 10, and 12 head models are made to keep an outdoor pond covered in fog. Enclosed within a head sized cube, 1 head will create more than enough fog, the thing will probably leak fog. )

The fog will be about this thick, perhaps a little less

by the way, i think the little bar is a water detector that automatically turns it off when the water gets too low.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:17:23 am by COR » Logged
amiemo162
Officer

« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2010, 02:08:51 pm »

that would be the best front door in history.
Affian
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Steam.

« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2010, 02:45:20 am »

With that cube couldn't you just mirror the alternating sides so that each iris has a full gear around it? That way you don't need any internal linkages.

Baron Nicodemus Ainsworth
ÆON
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2010, 06:00:06 am »

I took two of my microscope irises apart to see how they work.  They're actually quite different from each other.

Simpler blades, but these use a bend on the blade and a slot to slide/rotate around.

I will say, they're a bitch to put back together!

Those are fascinating Professor Fzz. Would it be possible to get a photo of one the shutters from the first iris looking directly from the top? It looks like it achieves a very small opening when fully closed.

That second one looks like it was intended for mass production, it would certainly be easier to manufacture than the "stud" version.

I am beginning to think we need a mechanical iris thread in the main tactile forum where we can gather all this information together.

Robo- yup, that's the box I had in mind. I didn't know what it could be used for, but that grenade idea is awesome.

I had a crazy idea that'd it be something that'll open a vortex into other dimensions, but that's still not structurally possible to house enough mechanics for that. In the end, it'll definitely be an awesome show-piece.

Not enough to house a pan-dimensional vortex? You have a working one? Could you pick me up some stuff? (nothing fancy)

Good evening Robo,
Not quite what I'd envisaged, though it would work, the magenta pole would obscure part of the iris. (Possibly restricting passage through the junction.)
Apologies, my earlier explanation was not precise enough to convey my suggestion. If a shaft were to be mounted in the corner of the top surface, such that it pierced both the top and bottom surface, in the space not occluded by the main cog, it could then be driven by either a toothed cog or by a drive belt situated on a rim below the gear teeth.
Unfortunately my drawing skills are not up to rendering a visual which does anything other than confuse the matter.
Does this make sense of what I'd suggested?   

ETA to correct a typographical error

Why not just have three reds and three blue? Like northwest top and south east be red drive gears and southwest worked by northwest and north east worked by the top leaving the bottom worked by southeast.

passbyguy
Officer

« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2010, 06:57:44 am »

Here's a question... Can the cube be turned inside out?!

Preposterous? I think not... borderline impossible, maybe.
First Air Lord Hawke
Deck Hand

« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2010, 06:12:22 pm »

(Doctor Evil Voice): "RELEASE THE ILL-INTENTIONED BEES!!!!!"

Wouldn't that be mechanical ill-intentioned bees?  Or perhaps mechanical Ichneumonidae Wasps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichneumonidae).  Bwaaaahahaaaahaaaa indeed...

(side note:  Ichneumonidae Wasps - the real ones made by Mother Nature - have metallic tips to their mandibles and ovipositors.  Decidedly creepy creatures, those are).

Going in a separate direction for a moment, what if the top iris was removed and replaced with a wind vane.  Could a clockwork be designed that opened the side irises as the wind vane rotated so that the side facing the wind was open and the other's closed?  Probably would have to be proportional (e.g. if the wind was from the NW, then the N and W irises would each be 50% open), and would need to be exceptionally smooth working to allow the wind strength to operate the mechanism.
steamtastic
Snr. Officer
England England

"It starts with S and ends in PUNK..."

« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2010, 09:36:56 am »

What's the maximum number of irises you've ever used in one of these, (is it even "practically" possible to make one with more than 4)?

Each Man is in his Spectre's power
Until the arrival of that hour
When his Humanity awake -William Blake
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2010, 12:26:53 am »

What's the maximum number of irises you've ever used in one of these, (is it even "practically" possible to make one with more than 4)?

Here's an earlier thread about an 8-leaf iris:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24887.0.html

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
Locksmithjoe
Deck Hand

« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2010, 12:11:07 am »

I am working on a secret door project where this would work well in a wooden gear situation. I need plans if you could?
CptFancyBreeches
Officer

Maker/Airship Captain

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2010, 09:17:05 pm »

brilliant!

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2010, 11:28:50 pm »

Sorry about the spam, it's sorted now.   Undecided

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2010, 05:09:19 am »

La Legion Fantastique has a large 5-shutter iris hatch at Dickens Faire. It's for feeding their squid.

CptFancyBreeches
Officer

Maker/Airship Captain

« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2010, 06:54:45 am »

i need to try and build one of these
Quentin The Various
Snr. Officer

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2011, 02:35:08 am »

Hello there, I'm sorry if this is overly late after the last thing being replied/written/whatever such things happen to be called but I thought it would be nice to contribute rather than just lurking.

I have been working on a ten petal design of the earlier mechanisms (which by the way were some most very lovely things) and this would likely be the place to put it.

Here's a few pictures of the small paper and card model of the petals I made to test the idea and placings and stuffs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The tips of the petals will fit into a slot on the inside of the next petal around, sorry if that's not too clear from the photos.

Q

PS. Sorry if the images aren't particularly good quality or I've messed up somehow, I'm new to all this.
wrenchhead
Snr. Officer
Iraq Iraq

« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2011, 07:57:26 am »

Amazing! I shall have to build a full-size door for my house using that design!  Cool
I thought EXACTLY the same thing when I saw it! Must build!

wrenchhead
Snr. Officer
Iraq Iraq

« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2011, 08:25:06 am »

Hello there, I'm sorry if this is overly late after the last thing being replied/written/whatever such things happen to be called but I thought it would be nice to contribute rather than just lurking.

I have been working on a ten petal design of the earlier mechanisms (which by the way were some most very lovely things) and this would likely be the place to put it.

Here's a few pictures of the small paper and card model of the petals I made to test the idea and placings and stuffs.

The tips of the petals will fit into a slot on the inside of the next petal around, sorry if that's not too clear from the photos.

Q

PS. Sorry if the images aren't particularly good quality or I've messed up somehow, I'm new to all this.

Ooo, I like this version, it looks particularly deadly!
Quentin The Various
Snr. Officer

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2011, 03:29:06 am »

Thank you  Smiley and yes, though most things could probably be applied to such a purpose should a person put their mind to it. Certainly quite pointy I must admit though.
I shall try to get some pictures of further designing and making once I have done said things... and maybe a video once it is complete. Hopefully you shan't all be waiting for too long.

Q
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2011, 08:53:35 pm »

Erm.... just found this....   http://blog.ponoko.com/2010/10/07/mechanical-iris-submarine-door/

The best Steampunk door in the world? Oh Yes.

Edit....   Just watched the videos, could be a little more solid perhaps to really pull it off properly?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:05:56 pm by Mechanism Man » Logged

Sometimes, I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us...
Calvin and Hobbs.
shoeshine
Officer

« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2011, 08:08:47 am »

Salutations,  The maker of that door here...

You hit the nail on the head.   Always a problem of scaling.  The ideas that work brilliantly in card mockups sometimes fall short when they incorporate 38lbs of brass and 110lbs of wood.

that model was mark-1,  mark-2 is in the works.

Definately upgraded hinges.  currently 1/8" brass ---- going to 3/8" bronze.
Also the rack arms need to be beefed up.  the door as shown has .09" racks. Moving up to .2" gearing

Dont get me wrong, the thing works and the proportions and design are on.  It just needs to have a satisfying "THUNK" to feel right.

Shoe

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Professor Fzz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2011, 12:58:40 pm »

That's a real work of art - just spectacular!

In the video, part of the issue is probably that the doorframe isn't attached to a wall.  The wobble spoils the effect somewhat.  But also the clunk it makes as it shuts sounds like a wooden door closing, presumably because it is mostly wood (very beautiful too).  Not quite sure how to change that, wood has a pretty distinctive resonance.  Maybe damp it slightly so it doesn't really clunk hard at all?  Some rubber draft excluder around the edge might do that.

But these are minor points - overall I love it.  Just need the rest of the Nautilus to do justice to the door now!

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: