The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 04:32:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Traction Garage.  (Read 22197 times)
xanthra
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2010, 01:29:09 am »

xanthra - I knew what you were talking about. To me tracked vehicles do pretty much the same thing with alot less labor.

Umm... hate to break it to you, but how does the military transport their tanks and heavy guns?  By rail : )  Rails have always been the most efficient way to transport heavy cargo.
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2010, 02:43:47 am »

xanthra - I knew what you were talking about. To me tracked vehicles do pretty much the same thing with alot less labor.

Umm... hate to break it to you, but how does the military transport their tanks and heavy guns?  By rail : )  Rails have always been the most efficient way to transport heavy cargo.

The problem there is the the laying of tracks in front of the city instantly detracts from any extra efficiency the system would have had otherwise. The effort required to lay tracks of a sturdy enough nature to support the city, fast enough for the city not to have to slow down, could be instead funneled into the construction of a fast, efficient engine and track system.
The efficiency of rail as a system for transporting cargo also relies on the fact it's a closed system. Once the tracks are laid, which is a process which can take many, many months for the distance the transport would move in a day, the transport can travel along this closed loop as fast as it needs to, back and forward. It's a system that doesn't lend itself to the flexibility required for a hunter city.

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
Ciber Ninja
Deck Hand

« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2010, 03:26:29 am »

By tactile I ment the tactile forum
I think we have a workabl realworld idea here
I think my basic allready outlined plan of working in arazona would be good
One day when we get large enough we could takeover that one airplane graveyard for raw materials
Jack_Rackem
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2010, 03:46:28 am »

For my idea I don't think you'd have to go to an airplane graveyard to gather materials. For similar ideas I'm sure it would be heaven. Also, it's quite a distance away for me personally/financially. I don't know how far away other people are. For this, we'd need a workspace, order currogated steel piping and have it delivered to the site, have scrap materials brought to the workspace if they aren't far away. You could take old farm trailers, or transport log carriers and use them as the support spine underneath the main tube body. I probably should have said this before (I know...stupid me.) but I live in Northern Ontario Canada and that kind of long distance travel isn't possible on my income. I'll get back to this...have to go to work now...
Ciber Ninja
Deck Hand

« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2010, 05:12:09 am »

No I said my plan
My plan was that we start wing a tiny town barely 2 lanes wide made of two semis
we can chase down unsuspecting illegal imigrints cars and we can make the corugated metal out of Their Cars
im going for the kind of municipal darwinism portrayed in the book
plus think of the benifits of arazona:
little rain so when we go offroad we dont die in mud puddles
low pop density so we have lots of room to roam
water wars are imenent: in twenty years we will be able to emerge as the nomadic rulers of the state haveing control of all the water sources
plentiful solar energy and wind: burning tires for fuel smells bad
Jack_Rackem
« Reply #180 on: June 07, 2010, 12:27:21 am »

Your idea, my mistake. Grin. I think I'm going to try and find locals to help with design as it's easier to hammer out wrinkles and such in person. Enjoy life.
Ciber Ninja
Deck Hand

« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2010, 02:49:19 am »

Ah you live in canadia "Eh"? you could mount your town on a sled and roam the great Ice wastes of the north Pontoons and roam the melting permafrost swamplands of the north
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: