The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 02:53:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Traction Garage.  (Read 22377 times)
Burr
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

My bark is worse then my bite

« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2009, 02:09:50 am »

@Burr: Oh really now? I'm not a fish anymore then?

@Gideon: Escalators perhaps?

You're still a fish, but obviously the water will ruin the drawings.

How about a ramp system that spirals 'round? They could be herded upwards.

Or perhaps a mix between ramps and elevator platforms...

What about a scaled up version of the airport baggage systems? They can spiral around and move baggage to different heights, as well as automatically sort them.
Athena
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2009, 02:13:13 am »

They do make water resistant paper, my sister uses it in her geology class when she has to take information outside in the rain.

But no, I use regular drafting paper thank you.  Tongue
GideonFaile
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Mothers, hide your children.

GideonFaile
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2009, 02:16:39 am »

What about a scaled up version of the airport baggage systems? They can spiral around and move baggage to different heights, as well as automatically sort them.

That would take some complex and touchy machinery, I would think.

What I had in mind was ramping that leads onto a gated platform, which then (using whatever system would be simplest and best suited) would lift the cattle up to the next level. Or several levels up, if need be.

I don't know; I'm just throwing ideas out there.

The last time I thought about this stuff was when I was role playing a Theoretical Inventor; I like to think I got pretty good at it. Give me some time.

"Won't you come back again? I miss the sound of footsteps as we danced amidst the stars and the light of a dawn approaching too quickly reflected in our eyes."
Burr
Snr. Officer

My bark is worse then my bite

« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2009, 02:26:22 am »

That would take some complex and touchy machinery, I would think.

What I had in mind was ramping that leads onto a gated platform, which then (using whatever system would be simplest and best suited) would lift the cattle up to the next level. Or several levels up, if need be.

I don't know; I'm just throwing ideas out there.

The last time I thought about this stuff was when I was role playing a Theoretical Inventor; I like to think I got pretty good at it. Give me some time.

Complex, touchy, or large and clunky are all okay, if you want to. As long as it has at least a slim chance of working. Go for it. I shall await with baited breat for the finest of MSPaint doodles of this plan.
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2009, 07:39:07 pm »

Barbarians! Semi-statics, especially ones which use ground effect, are the future. They skim across the shrubland with a minimum of fuss, foraging for supplies what are required and trading what they can't find or make themselves.

We have nothing to do with the mossie scum, either.

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
Ciber Ninja
Deck Hand

« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2009, 03:40:45 pm »

Fools space citys are the future giant moveing citys carved into huge space rocks traveling the galexy and consumeing all the material in a system so that the can construct their giant dyson sphere useing the energy gained from the sphere to open a giant recursive wormhole esentialy creating the unis largest warp drive
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2009, 06:50:48 pm »

Recursive wormhole? Are you mad, sir?
Ciber Ninja
Deck Hand

« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2010, 12:49:17 am »

why yes yes i am
Ebucragus harkoth
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2010, 09:27:24 am »

Hey guys im new here. however, i happen to be a HUGE fan of the mortal engines quartet.

I also come baring a so-far un-thought-of propusion system for the mighty traction garage.....

Have it pulled by.... GIANT... STALKER... ELEPHANTS...
Ciber Ninja
Deck Hand

« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2010, 04:25:18 am »

My good sir I do belive that my propulsion method may be even more insane than thoughs
in fact mine is so insane it Just Might Work
My ides is that we power it with fresh magma straight from the earths core
we need simply take a currently extant oceanic oil drilling platform and add wheels
useing lots of complicated maths of the nth demension in congruence with non einsteinian geometry
my calculations show that one gallon of magma has the same energy content as 1000 of propane

converting this energy is simple
we have a tank full of magma
and it is sorunded by liquid nitrogen
the nitrogen becomes supper heated providing incredible amounts of tourq
see diagram
magma = H
nitrogen = C
C|C|C|C
C|HhH|C
C|HhH|C
CCCCCC

as an added bonus if we encounter mortal peril we can empty our fuel reservers into the Magma Cannontm
steamtastic
Snr. Officer
England England

"It starts with S and ends in PUNK..."

« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2010, 08:00:19 am »

Nice, but how will you drill down far enough?

Each Man is in his Spectre's power
Until the arrival of that hour
When his Humanity awake -William Blake
Ebucragus harkoth
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2010, 09:49:21 am »

Magma cannon.....
BEST
WEAPON
EVER
(after odin of course) Wink

I mean a magma cannon could practicly fossalise an enemy city, roasting all people within.
Ebucragus harkoth
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2010, 08:40:31 am »

well...   i did type a massive response to jack_rackhams post but i accidentally turnd my computer off and lost the whole thing.  Embarrassed

however i think this is a pretty awsome idea(what, with all this about hollow roller wheels and such). however a thing like this would cost quite alot and take quite awhile....

i can think of a much easyer (however mabie slightly more expensive) way of costructing a the base on which the building(s) shall rest

First buy a couple of old excavators (the kind with tracks) and knock the top parts off (the cabin and the digging arms) and put four tracks together in a 2X2 grid

secondly attach a godawfully large piece of deckplating (sheet tin or an old veranda) on top of the four sets of tracks and secure in place

Thirdly attach a controll room to the town base (an old outhouse will do) and wire it up to the tracks

now add your selection of buildings (you could make some out of old shipping containers or wheel-less motorhomes) and bolt them down

you could also add extra tiers but more on that later...

now you steal some hydrolic jaws from a mining vehicle of your choice

stir thoroughly (maybie adding a magma cannon as an afterthought) leave to settle and... viola! your very own budget traction town.

now feel free to critisize my Crazyramblings.... Undecided
Ciber Ninja
Deck Hand

« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2010, 01:02:42 am »

Have you not read my earlyer posts?
My relativly cheep and simple plan is:
buy two tractor trailers
http://www.truckaccidentlawyerblog.com/TractorTrailer.jpg
cab and all
put side by side with cabs reversed so that they are at back(will try to make an ms paint sketch)
we can cut out the area between the two trailers for use as an engin room and maw capebl of swallowing small cars

we could prowl the interstates of arizona ro somesuch as road pirates!
Ebucragus harkoth
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2010, 12:20:34 pm »

of course i read your earlyer post, i just had no idea what you were talking about at the time.
but now i see.(plus living the life of a road pirate sounds interesting to say the least)

although simply driving two conjoined trucks seems somehow.....unfulfilling

traction cities were intended by philip reeve to be monsterous contraptions of epic proportions, far outside our current abilities.(however if the worlds governments could really be arsed to build such a thing as a real traction city they might be able to pull it off...)
Ciber Ninja
Deck Hand

« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2010, 09:50:03 pm »

The idea is that we cut out the deviding wall to make a larger gut so that we can chase and take down small vehicles.
eventualy we could get enough to build a sindle large set of wheels or tracks inside of it
once the track is complete we can build another and then ummm
how do i show pics?
Ciber Ninja
Deck Hand

« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2010, 06:52:23 pm »

I like the roller Idea although myn is a bit different
in mine we make large hoops of metal about 3 ft wide and long enough to just fit inside a semi trailer the hoops will be reinforced on the inside and coverd with tires on the out like yours but with a diameter of 2-3 meters
the teir 2 city would have 6 sets of these wheels
|                    /
\_000____000_/
where each 0 is a wheel
compare to the size of a semi truck(aprox semis a lil bigger)
_____  __
|____||_]

so the first stage takes up 2lanes of average american width road
the stage 2 city takes up 3 lanes and is twice as long
Emperor Bob
Snr. Officer

« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2010, 02:24:24 am »

I can offer the services of my self and my 1994 tempo, as long as the poor little car isn't going to be gobbled up by some marauding township.
Ciber Ninja
Deck Hand

« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2010, 04:03:39 am »

with the mass of you car we could almost build half a wheel!
and the upholstry should make good fuel
Emperor Bob
Snr. Officer

« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2010, 07:16:46 pm »

I don't think that we could quite get half a wheel, maybe half a brake caliper.
Ciber Ninja
Deck Hand

« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2010, 02:21:47 am »

no remember we are talking about a very small(relativly) wheel
only about 1 meter deep and haveing a diameter of 2-3 meters
xanthra
Snr. Officer

« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2010, 06:47:51 am »

Just read through this thread and I have to admit I haven't read the books mentioned but,  I think Ian M. Banks had something like this in one of his novels.  IIRC they were churches and they never stopped circling the equator of some far off planet.  

Correction: It was in "Absolution Gap" by Alastair Reynolds.  Sorry about that.

Since this is BG we have to steam it up a bit... Wouldn't  scores of large steam locomotives side by side and various train cars and support structures all welded/bolted/chained together running on dozens of parallel tracks be a good start?  Use the slaves and automatons as track gangs.  Pull up the tracks behind the beast, "fast track" the materials ahead of the convoy, and lay it in front of the monster.  
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 04:41:45 am by xanthra » Logged
xanthra
Snr. Officer

« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2010, 03:36:11 am »

urm... I didn't mean a fast, tracked vehicle, I meant that the materials would be sent ahead on an unused rail line with a faster prime mover pulling it ahead of the convoy : )
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:37:48 am by xanthra » Logged
Ciber Ninja
Deck Hand

« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2010, 12:41:39 pm »

Do you think that we may be ready to move to the tactile now?
Jack_Rackem
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2010, 12:54:08 am »

xanthra - I knew what you were talking about. To me tracked vehicles do pretty much the same thing with alot less labor.
Ciber Ninja - tactile what exactly?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: