The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 01:58:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian and Steampunk Crossdressing  (Read 52329 times)
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 02:32:17 pm »

Nothing to apologise for Smiley

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Geisterlibrarian
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 09:44:56 pm »

Now I have a sudden urge to see a "Normals Cosplay" Fashion show.  I think it would be a delightful satire on the modern state of (un)dress.

Grin

PS - to get back to the original thread, I have done F to M costuming for plays (yay Shakespeare) and for fashion shows (yay Victorian dandies), and am considering it for future conventions (sadly, I can't steam it out in real life - job would not be happy.)  I agree that it would be lovely to see more M to F, especially if done as stunningly as the thread-starting photograph. 

On other threadlike topics, I have to say that I enjoy seeing people of indeterminate gender - not drag per se, but when one honestly cannot tell which persuasion the other person is.  I LOVE that feeling!  We're so conditioned to put people in categories and boxes, that it's a lovely moment when your mind is simply quiet and appreciative of someone's beauty. 

Lastly, my husband has a corset which was designed for a 3" reduction, not a shape-changer, but a cincher.  It was made professionally and tailored for him, has laces front and back, and is a very nice piece of work.  I would love to see more men in corsets (the name I hear more often is corset vests) that aren't intended to make them look more womanly (although those corsets are cool too) but simply to accentuate the male form.  I don't think men get enough shapely clothing these days.   
Doctor Z-kun
Officer

Tinkering Toymaker

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 11:43:36 pm »

I do believe that some drag queen balls have categories like that; we were watching a documentary in my queer pop culture class and while there were the categories you'd expect from a drag queen ball, there were also some categories like "college student," "business CEO," etc.

But yes, it would be nice to see more variety in modern mens' wear! Most things are so similar, and sometimes it can be hard to find colours other than blue, black, grey, green, red, brown, and white. Mostly the same shades, too. Yet another reason to like steampunk; Victorian and Edwardian era mens' clothes were far more stylish than today's. And they recognized that pink wasn't just to be associated with Barbie.

If it cannot break out of its shell, the chick will die without ever being born.
We are the chick.
The world is our shell.
Smash the world's shell!
For the Revolution of the world!

~ Touga, Revolutionary Girl Utena
foolish mortal
Deck Hand

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 01:03:43 am »

That is a lovely dress and you wear it very well. I envy you your skill with a needle and thread.

I'm female and  often dress in Victorian male clothing. I've found that fitted waistcoats and trousers suit me very well. I've never really thought of it as cross dressing since I'm certain no one ever mistakes me for a man nor is it my intention to pass for one, but I like the look and am very comfortable in it.

Of course there are occasions when only a gown with a  corset and long bustled skirt will do.

I have a male friend who often wears Victorian drag to events. He is very beautiful, and at 6'4" ,usually the most striking person in the room..............damn him.  Wink Grin

"In matters of grave importance style ,not sincerity, is the vital thing." Oscar Wilde
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 01:24:35 am »

THe Blackheath Poisoning mini-sereis featured all manner of Victorian naughtiness..

And even Ian MacNeice in full drag!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103826/

Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 01:59:02 am »

Well you look better in a dress than I ever will. One idea I personally had, is if anyone would take the challenge for me, is a boned corset style waistcoat wih lacings at the back, and I also think a few others have had a similar idea. It certainly would make me look like I have a more flattering shape.
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 02:07:06 am »

I do believe that some drag queen balls have categories like that; we were watching a documentary in my queer pop culture class and while there were the categories you'd expect from a drag queen ball, there were also some categories like "college student," "business CEO," etc.
Was that Paris is Burning? If it wasn't, that's one I'd recommend. I saw it when it was in the theater; it turned out that one of the main figures was a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend. And for a somewhat more frivolous movie (and why not?), Wigstock.
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 02:58:33 am »

I'd go with whatever makes you happy to wear.  Also, it's nice to have a cross-dressing thread started here.

Vienna

(Too curvy to do anything but female dress....)
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 04:24:05 am »

hey alex good to see ya here to!

"I've been sliding through an interdimensional wormhole seeing how many ways people like you can screw up civilization!"
        - Quinn Mallory, "Sliders"

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

A Gentleman.

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 07:26:45 pm »

I have to say now you've got me tempted to give it a shot -I doubt I'd be able to pull it off as well, as I have quite a masculine face Undecided ...still I shall see if I can persuade people to have a party to serve as an occasion to dress up! As far as my previous experiences of crossdressing go- I have only done it once when I came to school near the end of term, however it wasn't anything too impressive just lighweight summery clothes & sarong (I admit also it was a fancy dress day- although there weren't that many dressed up)
-I think if I could pull it off I'd normally aim to look as androgynous as possible, as that is pretty much where I feel I fit as regards my character. However as I don't; I just wear whatever catches my eye.

[rant]
I find it so frustrating that it is often such an issue for a guy to wear female clothing when visa versa is of so little note- good clothes do exist for guys, but they are much less apparent- plus certain garments can't be worn without making a statement- if I could I would wear my normal baggy jumper with a long woollen skirt - simply as they are both incredibly comfortable & homely, however it seems to cause such a fuss it is more trouble than its worth Angry
Bleh- Its not fair being a guy sometimes!
[/rant]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:39:42 pm by Pheobsky » Logged

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
Wise
Gunner
Canada Canada

"Time Traveler"

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2009, 08:31:03 pm »

Its somthing I have always been interested in, and would be really fun, but alas my passion for facial hair puts that plan in foil!

"The spread of civilisation may be likened to a fire; First, a feeble spark, next a flickering flame, then a mighty blaze, ever increasing in speed and power.” ~Nikola Tesla

<a href="http://iam.bmezine.com/?Wise">IAM: Wise</a>
Cindy P
Gunner

Greetings from Miss Emmaline Pierpont

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 03:52:41 am »

Alex, I feel like I know you, because I also follow the Truly Victorian Pattern Blog Site!  You do beautiful work, I am envious of your sewing talents.  The outfits you post there are gorgeous.  Did you make the red and white stripe elliptical hoop?  Welcome to Brass Goggles.

Emmaline

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed
by the things that you didn't do than by the things you did.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover."
—— Mark Twain
mocata
Officer

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 03:56:38 am »

I cross-dress quite a lot. Haven't yet found a way to pull it off in a steampunk way.

The Men THAT Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing: www.myspace.com/blamedfornothing
My stand-up: www.andrewoneill.co.uk
Victorian Anachronist
Gunner

!
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2009, 05:39:00 am »

[rant]
I find it so frustrating that it is often such an issue for a guy to wear female clothing when visa versa is of so little note- good clothes do exist for guys, but they are much less apparent- plus certain garments can't be worn without making a statement- if I could I would wear my normal baggy jumper with a long woollen skirt - simply as they are both incredibly comfortable & homely, however it seems to cause such a fuss it is more trouble than its worth Angry
Bleh- Its not fair being a guy sometimes![/rant]

I entirely agree, Pheobsky--and unfortunately it will take years to get this accepted by the general public. Baby steps are best, I suppose. Oh--for cross-dressing, you might be able to find a way to frame your face with a wig and hat that would help soften it--and well-applied cosmetics always help. Experimenting is a good thing; you'll eventually find what is flattering to your face and body.  Smiley

Hi Emmaline! Actually that red hoop isn't mine....it was a reference pic from someone else's site. I am nearly done with my hoop though; it's white with dark and light blue pinstripes. I have to order steel boning for it, because the polyurethane tubing didn't work with the hoop's design--all the weight of the ruffled petticoat actually made the back collapse inward.  Tongue

I have a new dress in the planning stages! Please forgive the horrible Photoshopping; it's my first time using it to paint something.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It will be an 1870 promenade dress of peachy-yellow silk with light purple moire for the vest front and an ink moire for the cuffs and lapels, and a white shirtwaist. I'll be covering a hat and parasol to match; what could I add to make it more Steampunk?  I want nothing permanently sewn on or attached so I can use it as a normal dress depending on events. This is more intended to be a "oh honey let's take the steam powered cab down to the park so we can watch the demonstration of new inventions" dress than an inventing/exploring outfit, of course.

Woah, it is late and I need to do my science homework....bye for now!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:59:16 am by Victorian Anachronist » Logged
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2009, 06:16:40 am »

I have to say now you've got me tempted to give it a shot -I doubt I'd be able to pull it off as well, as I have quite a masculine face Undecided ...still I shall see if I can persuade people to have a party to serve as an occasion to dress up! As far as my previous experiences of crossdressing go- I have only done it once when I came to school near the end of term, however it wasn't anything too impressive just lighweight summery clothes & sarong (I admit also it was a fancy dress day- although there weren't that many dressed up)
-I think if I could pull it off I'd normally aim to look as androgynous as possible, as that is pretty much where I feel I fit as regards my character. However as I don't; I just wear whatever catches my eye.

[rant]
Bleh- Its not fair being a guy sometimes!
[/rant]

Move to Fiji? >_o
What sort of a skirt do you wear? Surely something like a grey, unpleated, wrapped or 'kilt-style' skirt, that people maybe wouldn't even register at first glance, wouldn't cause so much fuss?
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

A Gentleman.

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 08:24:14 am »

Move to Fiji? >_o
What sort of a skirt do you wear? Surely something like a grey, unpleated, wrapped or 'kilt-style' skirt, that people maybe wouldn't even register at first glance, wouldn't cause so much fuss?

I don't frequently wear skirts however; when I have done/do generaly they are of the full lenth wrap type - either sarongs in the summer or a similar very plain style but in much heavier material in the winter- simply as they are comfortable & easy to construct. Neither causes tons of fuss, however they are garmets that I wear as I'm feeling like having a lazy day and being comfortable- so although I get noticed less than some of the the clothes I wear its more irritating & it defeats my reason for wearing them. Still around the house its no an issue + warm on freezing days when you've just got up Grin

Re. Kilts- (over here at least) I'd class them slightly diferently as they're accepted as a type of formal wear, so tend to be held in a different regard- however the only occasion I 'd be likely wear a kilt would be to weddings etc. Tongue

--edit--
I supose tha biggest issue is taht I've got a penchant for bright colours- so it definitely draws attention...hmm maybe I have a solution....

I entirely agree, Pheobsky--and unfortunately it will take years to get this accepted by the general public. Baby steps are best, I suppose. Oh--for cross-dressing, you might be able to find a way to frame your face with a wig and hat that would help soften it--and well-applied cosmetics always help. Experimenting is a good thing; you'll eventually find what is flattering to your face and body.  Smiley

[/quote]
hmm time to start pestering my one of my housemates to see what I can borrow Grin
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:30:09 am by Pheobsky » Logged
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 08:18:05 pm »

Move to Fiji? >_o

I don't frequently wear skirts however; when I have done/do generaly they are of the full lenth wrap type - either sarongs in the summer or a similar very plain style but in much heavier material in the winter- simply as they are comfortable & easy to construct. Neither causes tons of fuss, however they are garmets that I wear as I'm feeling like having a lazy day and being comfortable- so although I get noticed less than some of the the clothes I wear its more irritating & it defeats my reason for wearing them. Still around the house its no an issue + warm on freezing days when you've just got up Grin

Re. Kilts- (over here at least) I'd class them slightly diferently as they're accepted as a type of formal wear, so tend to be held in a different regard- however the only occasion I 'd be likely wear a kilt would be to weddings etc. Tongue

--edit--
I supose tha biggest issue is taht I've got a penchant for bright colours- so it definitely draws attention...hmm maybe I have a solution....

I entirely agree, Pheobsky--and unfortunately it will take years to get this accepted by the general public. Baby steps are best, I suppose. Oh--for cross-dressing, you might be able to find a way to frame your face with a wig and hat that would help soften it--and well-applied cosmetics always help. Experimenting is a good thing; you'll eventually find what is flattering to your face and body.  Smiley

hmm time to start pestering my one of my housemates to see what I can borrow Grin
[/quote]

Can't say I have ever seen you in a skirt mate.
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

A Gentleman.

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2009, 07:53:41 pm »

Move to Fiji? >_o

--edit--

Can't say I have ever seen you in a skirt mate.

That's as it is something that rarely happens beyond when I feel like mooching about inside my house, and I'm too lazy to get dressed properly  Tongue
A.Felix
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 12:26:14 am »

I currently have one (Victorian, but not Steampunk) dress that I've made, based off an outfit in Victorian Romance Emma, a manga set in 1895-96. I've worn it for my high school Halloween, and for two anime conventions.

EMMA! YES! LOVE!

That said, you look very nice dressed up like that. And I'm female, but ocassionally take to crossdressing for no particular reason...

Quote from: A.Felix
Sometimes I'm glad you're all the way over there.<br />Other times, I'm lonely.
Also, I love the way you call me 'kid'. Just so you know.
Victorian Anachronist
Gunner

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2009, 06:12:43 pm »

Yay, another Emma fan!  Cheesy It's nice that it's not as mainstream as other series are, but sometimes it gets tiring explaining the series over and over again to different people.

I finished my steel-boned elliptical hoop crinoline yesterday! Here are pics! Please excuse the trousers; I had to throw it and the corset on for quick photos:

I'm wearing small bustle pad underneath it to throw the whole hoop a little more backward. And here it is  with the crazy ruffled 1895 petticoat I drafted from a period 1895 tailoring book (the hoop is for ca. 1870, but the petticoat fits over the hoop so why not use it?) It has an 18 foot hem and roughly 100 feet worth of fabric in all the ruffles:

This is the foundation for the 1870 dress I'm starting; the skirt is about halfway done. Now I just need to practise sitting, because elliptical hoops such as this one have a tendency to not want to collapse properly, and I've already hit myself in the face a few times when it has swung up unexpectedly. Basically chairs with arms are a no-no, unfortunately.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2009, 03:58:30 am »

I'm so incredibly jealous of your skills.
Geisterlibrarian
Gunner

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2009, 03:24:13 pm »

Yay!! More steamy crossings!

That looks quite nice, and I have to say the backdrop is a good choice as well.

Also - either those are really well-designed boots, or you have the teeniest feet!

BTW, Alex, props for that bustle and hoops - they are gorgeous!!  The two bustles I did I was glad they would be hidden under clothing.

And don't feel bad about the nasty evil face-attacking hoops - you should have seen our actresses the first few days they're in rehearsal costumes.  Skirts flying EVERYWHERE!
angeluk
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2009, 03:38:03 pm »

The backdrop just happened to be there :-)

Not particularly small feet, size 7 (UK), which is convenient for buying footwear. They are, however, among the comfiest boots I've ever worn
Miss_Musket
Deck Hand

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2009, 12:40:22 pm »

You look fantastic! Really amazing!

I'm female, and my steampunk attire consists of a waistcoat, frock coat and trousers, tucked into boots, with a few bits and bobs. I'm hopeless at making my own clothes, so I usually buy things from specialist or antique shops. I consider myself a female to male cross dresser because of this. I've never worn skirts in my day to day wear, so it just feels wrong at any other time, and I was getting worried that this wasn't very steampunk of a girl. I'm glad other people feel the same way!
Victorian Anachronist
Gunner

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2009, 03:35:02 pm »

Angeluk, you look great! I am very jealous of your shoe size...  And Miss Musket, waistcoats look dashing on everybody.  Smiley We'd love to see photos when you can upload some.

Oh--I finally got the skirt photographed! Gold silk with a burgundy floral calico lining, worn over the elliptical crinoline and petticoat. There are also pockets in both side seams. I'll be adding a dust ruffle to protect the hem later--that way I can walk outside without fear of ripping or soiling the train.

I'm also getting better at sitting...

Thanks for the compliments!

And I have no idea if I'll be able to add Steampunk elements to this dress...the gold silk would kind of hide any brass accents or add-on elements. I'll think of something; maybe I can decorate the hat and parasol in a particularly steamy way! That might be enough to steampunk the whole dress.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:36:48 pm by Victorian Anachronist » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: