The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 11:56:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home made Scrollsaw  (Read 8170 times)
Affian
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Steam.

« on: April 18, 2009, 12:57:37 am »

I'm looking at seeing how feasible it would be to make my own scroll saw for less that what it would cost me to buy one.
Basing my plans on this documentation
Build Your Own Homemade Scroll Saws

I'm interested in what people think of this and any ideas that I could take into consideration.

Other meterial found:
http://1nailbender.tripod.com/full.htm
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:00:51 am by Affian » Logged

Baron Nicodemus Ainsworth
ÆON
Grave Digger
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 06:09:18 am »

I've always been a fan of homemade tools however I've worked a lot with scroll saws and I must say that the danger that comes with using this sort of machine is pretty high. Now, I'm not saying to not build your own but ones you buy often have wonderful safety devices. You might want to investigate those and see if you can build those into your scroll saw if you so choose to build one.

I'm not evil. I'm just good lookin'
johnny99
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 10:04:29 pm »

Hi.  Hard to comment on the cost vs. benefit without knowing what tools materials and experience you have.  Scroll saws aren't hard to build, a lot depends on what features you want to incorporate. I personally prefer the swing arm type shown in the last link. But if you are going for maximum simplicity, the first one with the metal arm would probably be the easiest to build. If you skip all the accessories, and switch from a motor to a strait foot stirrup to power it.
     A few things you might consider are, throat depth, blade type, and footprint.

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart!
Titus Wells
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Forward The Steamtomaton Apocalypse!

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 10:13:54 pm »

Dunno what your budget or experience is like, but you can pick up a fairly decent scrollsaw for under £80. Look for ex-school models that can be reconditioned.

"Who would have guessed that behind the formidable brow of his, which appeared to be made of some kind of rook, there lay so strange a mixture of memories and thoughts?"

Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:19:47 pm »

depending on what exactly you want to do with the saw, you could do like my uncle did.

he took a basic electric sabre saw and bolted into a box so that the saw was upside down with the blade up through the top of the box.  he added an outlet with a switch on the side. he basically cut out a T shaped hole in the box (with the sabre saw) and dropped the saw foot into it so that the cross part of the T shape was for the front ramped edge and the long part was for the section where the foot bolted to the motor. he glued strips of old laminate (counter top) to build up to the thickness of the foot, so stuff would slide easily.

safety was minimal as you can imagine.

it won't work as well as a scrollsaw, the blade will deflect easily.  now with all those cheap tools coming out of china, you can get a basic sabre saw for a song.

my only idea to improve on his design was to split the top so you could swing up half of the table and slide the saw out to use separately. you had to bolt and unbolt the foot from the body to remove it from his box.
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 09:26:36 pm »

Wel i got one for £80 "shop soiled".. so they are not all that expensive. It occurs to me the motion is much like an electric sewing machine. If the blade could be mounted on the bit normally where the needle goes and spring to hold it taught under it...... it seems a bit long winded though.

johnny99
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 12:22:56 am »

Actually, if you look at the first link he posted, that is exactlly what they used.
Affian
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 06:30:19 am »

Well my buget is basicly nill, bike parts and timber I can find for free in scrap piles and i would prefer a pedal powered saw to one with a motor. There is a guy at the gypsy fair that does fretwork with a tredel-scrollsaw, might ask to take a look at his next time they are in town as his seemed quite compact.
Safety wise I rely on common-sense and a healthy respect for sharp things that move fast, I plan on a guide to hold the workpeice down like you see on most modern scrollsaws.
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 01:24:38 pm »

Actually, if you look at the first link he posted, that is exactlly what they used.

true.....
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 01:29:01 pm »

Well my buget is basicly nill, bike parts and timber I can find for free in scrap piles and i would prefer a pedal powered saw to one with a motor. There is a guy at the gypsy fair that does fretwork with a tredel-scrollsaw, might ask to take a look at his next time they are in town as his seemed quite compact.
Safety wise I rely on common-sense and a healthy respect for sharp things that move fast, I plan on a guide to hold the workpeice down like you see on most modern scrollsaws.

Well on a Nil budget i'd rig up a pole lathe type arrangement. Springy wood bent over and maybe a wire saw blade attached to it rope to pole and foot treadle made of a lump of wood...
http://www.mark-ju.net/more/lathe/how_to_build.htm
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/survival-accessories/survival-accessories/even-more-survival-accessories/product-282687.html
clockdug
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 03:35:57 pm »

Or if the long springy pole is a space problem you can try the modern upgrade to the pole lathe where you replace the pole with a much more compact bungee cord.
Palmyrin Rosette
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 05:04:28 pm »

Hey that's a great idea. I have an old electric sewing machine that is no longer so good at the sewing but still works. I am working on a keyboard mod and when I get to the cutting the brass part, which I have never done before, I may have to use something stronger and quicker than a hand coping saw. This would be ideal and hopefully quite cheap!   Smiley

Have you ever been alive?
Curious sensation isn't it..
Affian
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 10:38:21 pm »

Even if I never end up making a scroll saw, I'm glad that someone has found this idea interesting Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: