The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 07:40:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loose Wheel in cheap pocketwatch?  (Read 1004 times)
parallaxtz
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: April 10, 2009, 02:57:07 am »

I appear to have a loose wheel in a very cheap pocket watch.  The wheel is the middle wheel of three that are used to wind the main spring.  I was wondering if anyone might know if it's as simple as tightening the little screw in the middle of the cog or if it's more likely that a ... pinion? has broken?  Or if someone could explain how I could tell?

I also was wondering if this set of tools would be good enough to purchase to attempt working on the watch with?
http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Watch-Opener-Repair-Remover/dp/B000T9VK56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1239328071&sr=8-1

The watch was only 15USD, so I'm not looking to get it repaired by someone else.  I'd sooner just buy another one.

Thanks folks!!
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 04:34:05 pm »

A movement pic would help with diagnosis, especially if you indicate the wheel in question..
As far as the tool kit, its an ok starter kit, it should allow you do get working, although you will eventually (iff you keep at it long enough) want to upgarde..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
parallaxtz
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:32:19 pm »

The iPhone is not very good for close up shots.  This is the best I could do at the moment.  Undecided

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The wheel indicated slides back and forth in a straight line if I try to wind the watch.

Is there a different but not overly expensive set you would recommend?
T. Sheldon
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 01:59:36 pm »

Isn't that wheel supposed to slide back and forth in order to stop you from overwinding the mainspring? Man, I'm so rusty.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 04:45:42 pm »

Not quite.. (you can't really "overwind" a watch, that term is a one that means (its broken, but we don't know why).
If you ttry to force a watch beyond full wind (and its really harder than you think, to do that)  you will famage most likely something in the keyless works, but even that requires that you use far mroe force than you;d ever think of applying to a watch crown when winding it. 
As for that watch, and the "loose wheel" ,that's part of the keyless works, that disengages the setting mechanism from the winding mechanism. I suspect that the setting clutch has broken on that one..

Cheers
Harold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: