The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:03:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Right, so I bought an old watch for parts.....  (Read 3317 times)
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 03:16:56 pm »

I know nothing about watches.......
Me neither! But I do know that watch glasses or crystals as they seem to be called, should be quite readily available and whilst I can see how you would be able to use the watch components to good effect, I have also been looking at your other mods and sure you could do something interesting with the case which would be good as it is Victorian. Maybe something to mull over in any spare moments you have!

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 04:31:52 pm »

I know nothing about watches.......
Me neither! But I do know that watch glasses or crystals as they seem to be called, should be quite readily available and whilst I can see how you would be able to use the watch components to good effect, I have also been looking at your other mods and sure you could do something interesting with the case which would be good as it is Victorian. Maybe something to mull over in any spare moments you have!
Yes and no..crystals come in a ton of sizes differing only by a fraction of a ligne. You need to measure the seating rim very carefully, then see if a correct crystal is available, Even then some fiddling may be necessary. As an example, my crytsla supplier lists crystals starting at 11 0/16 lignes and running in 1/16 lignes increments up to22 15/16 lignes, and that's in glass only. You also need to see if you need a domed of flat crystal, but mots pocket watches take a domed type..

FYI - The LIGNE is equal to the twelfth part of the French Inch, which is approximately 1/16th larger than our own inch. One French ligne=2.25583 or roughly 2¼ mm. Thus a 10 ligne movement should gauge 22.5mm. In inches this would measure .8881 as the LIGNE is equal to .0888 parts of an inch.
Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 04:56:05 pm »

Tank you for the compliment, Sir Fitziron, I shall definately mull over it when I have taken it apart!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 10:14:32 pm »

As an example, my crytsla supplier lists crystals starting at 11 0/16 lignes and running in 1/16 lignes increments up to22 15/16 lignes, and that's in glass only. You also need to see if you need a domed of flat crystal, but mots pocket watches take a domed type..

FYI - The LIGNE is equal to the twelfth part of the French Inch, which is approximately 1/16th larger than our own inch. One French ligne=2.25583 or roughly 2¼ mm. Thus a 10 ligne movement should gauge 22.5mm. In inches this would measure .8881 as the LIGNE is equal to .0888 parts of an inch.
Cheers
Harold
Thank you Harold, I was beginning to wonder what a ligne was ~ how is it pronounced ~ line, lean, etc? Your answer above, where I have put it in bold, indicates that crystals are in fact glass. Is that very common? I presumed until I read this that lenses were made from perspex or similar these days and some sort of celluloid in the past. Probably thinned shell or similar before that! Please share more.... Smiley
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 10:29:15 pm »

As an example, my crytsla supplier lists crystals starting at 11 0/16 lignes and running in 1/16 lignes increments up to22 15/16 lignes, and that's in glass only. You also need to see if you need a domed of flat crystal, but mots pocket watches take a domed type..

Cheers
Harold
Thank you Harold, I was beginning to wonder what a ligne was ~ how is it pronounced ~ line, lean, etc? Your answer above, where I have put it in bold, indicates that crystals are in fact glass. Is that very common? I presumed until I read this that lenses were made from perspex or similar these days and some sort of celluloid in the past. Probably thinned shell or similar before that! Please share more.... Smiley

"lean" is pretty close for non-francophones.  Most early crystals were glass, acrylics came in around the 1930's. Acrylic crystals will scratch easily, but tend not to shatter like glass.  You can polish out fine scratches pretty easily in an acrylic crystal, either with something specific to the task (Polywatch) or good old Brasso.  The other common crystal materials nowadays are mineral glass and sapphire.

Cheers
Harold
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 10:02:50 pm »

Right, the old pocket watch is now three pieces of jewelry:

A necklace

A brooch

A ring

I'm quite proud of them Smiley
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 10:38:58 pm »

i must say thay are lovely. the ring is beautiful !

I am a freak in control not a control freak
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 02:54:36 am »

I'm quite proud of them Smiley
And so you should be! I love the brooch, and all of them more beautiful and special than something you would buy in jewellery store!

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: