The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 11:20:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Clock Project (W.I.P)  (Read 2168 times)
Doktor Claw
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 09, 2009, 11:26:37 am »

I'm in the process of constructing a wall clock. The movement is pilfered/ripped from a 1940's travel alarm clock, found in a vintage shop near me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is then going to be mounted via some ground brass brackets to the main "body" of the clock, which is made out of teak (I think... It was an old table leaf, bloody nice hard wood though!)

Brackets

Body

The most keen-eyed of you will have noticed a plastic gear on the face of the movement, which simply must not be displayed! I am in the process of designing a bracket to cover this monstrosity using good old brass, though I can't decide if I will attach it to both sides of the body, or simply to the one nearest to the gear itself.

I'll keep this updated as I progress. Total build time has been about three and a half hours so far, I think, not including thinking time (which is extensive, and involves much consumption of tea!)
K. D. R. Tempus
Snr. Officer
United States United States

What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 05:19:17 pm »

Oh, this is going to be right spiffing, sir. Please do update. Oh, and the bracket to cover the gear? Have you considered etching it with an elaborate design? Then you'd only need one, and it would really give it a punch. (All right I'll come clean; I keep seeing Gallifreyan script.)

'Arthur, you have no historical perspective. Science in those days worked in broad strokes. They got right to the point. Nowadays, it's all just molecule, molecule, molecule. Nothing ever happens big.' ~The Tick
woyzeck
Swab

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 02:16:26 am »

If you're going to spend so much time on making this, why not get a better movement?
Doktor Claw
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 04:40:39 pm »

Three and a half hours isn't long, is it? Anyway, I'm quite happy with the movement I have; it's beautifully compact and actually made of attractive metal, in addition to already being in my possession (which I feel is the major advantage.)

I'm as finished as I'm getting this weekend, so here's the pics!

The whole shebang

Closeup of the movement and bracket assembly

I need to make some new hands for it, as the current ones are a bit invisible as it stands, as well as having the glowing paint on them, which looks a little odd. My problem is that the hands that I had made were too heavy, and would not turn well between 6 and 12, and too well between 12 and 6! If I balance them better, will this solve it, or will this just double the weight?

KDR Tempus: I've yet to get to the stage of electrolytically etching yet, and my dremel skills are... Patchy. I will be doing that kind of thing at some point though, as it looks like a fun thing to experiment with!
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 05:35:02 pm »

balancing the hands should help tremendously.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
K. D. R. Tempus
Snr. Officer

What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:33:14 pm »

Interesting; not the direction I thought you were going. Very nice, though. You might want to see about grinding smooth the edges of your brackets so they look a little more finished. Otherwise, nifty! About the hands -- what about simply painting them black, or copper?

Definitely, really innovative; I love it.
David Godfrey Esq.
Zeppelin Captain

Its probably best not to ask really...

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 11:26:39 pm »

Very nice. Simple, but effective. I would paint the hands black, but personally leave the luminous parts alone. I think the contrast between the two colours might look quite nice.

Everglades sell clock hands, as well as a nice range of movements, inserts and other clock pieces. However I don't know if they'll fit the movement you have.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 11:37:37 pm by David Godfrey Esq. » Logged

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Doktor Claw
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 11:49:00 pm »

I've finally finished this clock! I balanced the hands with the balance wheels from some broken stopwatches/timers (the source of nearly all my gears!), and it seems to be keeping time quite well so far! It needs a little cleaning up, but I will post pics tomorrow night so you can have a gander...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: