The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 10:50:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: any candlestick ideas?  (Read 874 times)
steampipe jim
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 06, 2009, 08:32:36 am »

I'm going to be going on a one day blacksmithing course in a few weeks, i've got a few ideas for a basic candle stick, does anyone have any ideas for candlestick that could be built in a day by a compleate amateur?
Adan Shepard
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:59:59 am »

You could make a courting candle holder. It looks like a spring that is opened up on one end to form a base. They were originally used by the father to determine how long a date would be by screwing the base either up or down into the spring part of the holder. When the candle burned down to the holder the date was over. This is a fairly early item but would make a good starter item to work on.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 10:26:27 am »

Here is a picture of what I think Adan means. I've never heard them called courting candles, I like that Grin

In Europe they are normally known as cellar rats or more properly "Rat de Cave" since they are the tradtional candlestick for visiting your wine cellar with.

The spring part is easily forged by dressing the stock around a former. (Draw down and shape the end before you turn it into your spring shape though.)

This example is sitting on a cast dish but often they are wholly forged with the base being an iron tripod. This gives you some scope for playing around with fancy feet etc.  Your tutor will have no trouble advising you on how to make this one.

Enjoy your day at the forge.

BE SPLENDID!
steampipe jim
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 04:36:02 pm »

Thanks, i'll have to give it try
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: